• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Invocation of a Brownie?

ForgetfulCat

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Last night, I'd just finished reading Merrily Harpur's excellent book on Mystery Big Cats, and was trying to explain ot my partner the book's main hypothesis, which is that ABC's are examples of what Ms Harpur's brother, Patrick has defined as daimons. As Chris is not a long time student forteana, and I can chunter for England after a couple of beers, this meant that I set off on a long ramble about how there appear to be fashions in phenomena, so for example, earlier cultures had fairies while we have aliens, both with similar attributes, but in different drag. I went on to say that some versions of daimons appear to have died out, saying that no one encounters Brownies in their role of household helpers anymore. Then, thinking about one of the Brownies' roles, and remembering previous IHTM tales, I said something about the exception being the Thing That Brings Back Lost Stuff.

Meanwhile, Chris had tuned me out a bit, (I was going on!) and started picking around on the floor behind a mirror resting up on the wall by where she was sitting.

Then, picking up something, she said 'Ha - There are Brownies!' and showed me a pin which had come out of the front door when she moved in some three months ago, and been missing since.

I didn't believe that she had really just found it, and wasn't just teasing me, but she was, and is adamant that she found it at just that moment.

Now, I realise that in one sense, as reappearing objects go, this is quite tame, as there hadn't been a big search for the pin (we knew it had come out when the door was taken off to get a piano moved in, but the door worked without it, and there were other jobs to do), and it could quite easily have been behind the mirror since it came out of the door. However, the fact that the finding coincided with the 'invoking' as it were of the Finder Helper was remarkable.

The wider context of the event should also be noted, in that the previous night we had argued about ghosts, with me denying they were anything to do with post-mortem survival, and Chris taking the opposite view. Thus, to her, the finding of the pin represented some proof of the objective reality of entities as external to the percipient.

Its also worth mentioning that, after this happened, I said that we should really leave something for the Brownie, and Chris went off in to the kitchen and got a pot of honey, which she laid on the skirting boxing by the front door (as in many Northern homes, the front door is rarely used). What she was not aware of was that, in Harpur's book, there's a quote which says that honeycomb is one of the appropriate gifts for Brownies, and these gifts should be left in a quiet corner of the house.

Today, some of the honey had gone. I suspect nocturnal household bugs, but who knows?

Nice story! You couldn't have a word with them could you I lost some keys this morning? Or is there a way of invoking them?

I was hoping someone had come up with a magic formula for making brownie cookies appear.

Xanatico said:
I was hoping someone had come up with a magic formula for making brownie cookies appear.

Ha ha like it Xanatico!!! In England of course Brownies are usually little girls who have joined the Girl Guides Association... and then go around doing good deeds..............must be a coincidence.

millomite said:
Xanatico said:

Ha ha like it Xanatico!!! In England of course Brownies are usually little girls who have joined the Girl Guides Association... and then go around doing good deeds..............must be a coincidence.
Girl Guide, Brownies, probably are named after, Household Brownies. ;)

Big problem is, ForgetfulCat is bringing a great deal of belief baggage to the interpretation of events. It's like reading about a really significant number and then suddenly seeing that number, everywhere.

I'm not saying that there's no such thing as Brownies, just that reading loads on a subject can tint loads of subsequent experiences with what you've just been reading about. That's why hypochondriacs should steer clear of medical textbooks.

Brownies

Girl Guide, Brownies, probably are named after, Household Brownies

Hmm, yes and rather oddly too. I have a friend who used to edit the Guides magazine. Apparently Brownie packs are divided into groups named after Sprites and other woodland entities.

The curious thing is, while the word Fairie is not used because it has 'sinister connotations', they are quite happy to name one of these subdivisions....KELPIES!

You'd think someone in Scotland would have told them.... :)

ForgetfulCat is bringing a great deal of belief baggage to the interpretation of events.

Perhaps I've not been as clear as I could have been. I hold a quite skeptical position on a lot of Fortean stuff, and certainly don't believe that there are now or have been at any time, objectively real entities dressed in raggedy clothes going round churning butter at night.

brownies

I hold a quite skeptical position on a lot of Fortean stuff, and certainly don't believe that there are now or have been at any time, objectively real entities dressed in raggedy clothes going round churning butter at night.

Watch out, watch out there's a Humphrey about...

"...curious thing is, while the word Fairie is not used because it has 'sinister connotations'..."

And it has nothing to do with the Brownie movements stand on gay scout leaders? ;)

millomite said:
Nice story! You couldn't have a word with them could you I lost some keys this morning? Or is there a way of invoking them?

Now don't get too excited but this morning my wife shouted that she had found the keys I'd lost. They were next to the key press. I am pretty sure I checked there but who knows. Anyway, the honey has been left for them.

ForgetfulCat said:
Today, some of the honey had gone. I suspect nocturnal household bugs, but who knows?

I think any bugs would have gotten stuck in the honey if they tried to eat it.

But I know that lost objects can just re-appear from nowhere because it's happened to me. I lost a watch, and a few months later it turned up - hanging on the doorknob of a closet in my guestroom. I live alone and had lost the watch in a different room, and nobody had stayed with me during the time it was lost. This happened a few years ago but I'll never forget my utter shock at seeing it hanging there! There was simply no way that it could have gotten there by normal means.

When I read this thread title I thought you meant a brownie like the cake!

I am a tool :oops:

ForgetfulCat said:
Then, thinking about one of the Brownies' roles, and remembering previous IHTM tales, I said something about the exception being the Thing That Brings Back Lost Stuff.

Yesterday my wife lost a ring - she thought she had mislaid it while doing the dishes in church. She organizes a weekly "get together" for old folks from the parish.

She has key of the church, so we went and searched - but didn't find the ring. On the way back I said - half jokingly - that we should burn a candle for Saint Anthony of Padua. We were home a few minutes, when she found the ring !

She'll be doing more church work next Thursday and then she'll definitely light a candle for this classic saint :D

ForgetfulCat said:
I hold a quite skeptical position on a lot of Fortean stuff, and certainly don't believe that there are now or have been at any time, objectively real entities dressed in raggedy clothes going round churning butter at night.

But there's as much, or even more, eye-witness testimony in favor of tiny ragged-clothed winged butter-churners as for werewolves, vampires, (full-sized) flying humanoids and lantern-eyed giant pooches.

So I honestly dunno.

Maybe it's that "objectively" which is the stumbling-block. I remember John Keel's surmise that "These things are real, but not real in the same sense that a 747 is real."

I have a sprite/brownie/pooka/boggart whatever you wish to call it living in my house. I have seen it in shadow form, one person has seen it completley but it is always taking stuff it likes and it will return them when it is finished with them.

It also delights in freaking out my mother as she does not believe it exists. It normally jumps on her back as she is alseep and she has heard it sniffing around her room but she still refuses to believe it exists :roll:

I love the thought of it being in the house but it can get annoying when it hides things.

The following is quoted from Patrick Harpur's "Angels and Daimons":

"A clergyman's widow told her friend, folklorist Katharine Briggs, how she suffered from an injured foot and had been sitting one day on a seat in London's Regent's Park, wondering how on Earth she'd find the strength to limp home, when suddenly she saw a tiny man in green who looked at her very kindly and said: 'Go home. We promise that your foot shan't pain you tonight.' Then he disappeared. But the intense pain in her foot had gone. She walked home easily and slept painlessly all night."

I don't know about other people, but to me such stories long ago began to add up.

P. S. I'll bet he would have churned her butter had she but asked. <g>

millomite said:
In England of course Brownies are usually little girls who have joined the Girl Guides Association... and then go around doing good deeds..............must be a coincidence.

They're known as "Brownies" in the United States, too, or at least they were when I was in grade school.

I still remember my second and third grade female classmates (ages seven - eight) in their brown uniform-dresses.

OldTimeRadio said:
Maybe it's that "objectively" which is the stumbling-block. I remember John Keel's surmise that "These things are real, but not real in the same sense that a 747 is real."

I used "objectively" deliberately to allude to my general agreement with Keel's position. I don't think that a 'brownie trap' would ever capture anything, but I don't think that everyone who has reported brownie activity was delusional, and the same goes for the rest of the parade of entities that people say they've encountered. I do think its interesting that, in the case of brownies (and other 'household helpers') that they've seemingly become rather vestigial, and now just do the finding things bit. Its also interesting that finding lost objects is one of the functions that alleged spirits of the dead, from the seance room back to the classical era have performed.

And there was me thinking that this thread was for those unfortunate enough to suffer from troublesome bowel movements ........... ;)

Hogarth999 said:
And there was me thinking that this thread was for those unfortunate enough to suffer from troublesome bowel movements ........... ;)
Ah, yes!

Many's the time I have sat there invoking, but only brought forth a great wind....

:(

EDIT! I don't believe this - immediately after posting the above, Graham Norton and Miriam Margolyes are discussing that very subject on BBC TV! :shock:

I always wanted gnomes, the kind with little red peaked caps and all.

Anconite said:
I always wanted gnomes, the kind with little red peaked caps and all.

IIRC they've been spotted from time to time - my favourite instance being the ones seen in Nottingham in 1979 riding around in little bubble cars - very Noddy....

ForgetfulCat said:
I don't think that a 'brownie trap' would ever capture anything, but I don't think that everyone who has reported brownie activity was delusional, and the same goes for the rest of the parade of entities that people say they've encountered.

That's a very well stated Fortean position, and I don't think I could effectively disagree with it even if I wanted to, which I don't.

Back