• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IP Address Banned?

I’m getting the “IP address banned” message all the time now from my home network. Until yesterday I only got it when using my VPN. Now I get it even when VPN turned off. I’ll try the trick of rebooting the router when I get back home.
Yesterday you are logged as having arrived via a flagged (spammer) IP address in Russia. Yes - that Russia.

Today you arrived from a proxy server in New York flagged for multiple spam attacks this week.

The IP address range from which you were accessing the forum "a couple of days ago" was flagged for multiple spam attacks over the last week (and continuing). The specific IP address from which you arrived 2 days ago is flagged for a series of spam attacks from earlier this summer.

The most likely explanation is that our automated security service is blocking incoming traffic until such time as the flags (alerts; whatever) on the IP address and / or entire IP range fade in ascribed severity.

Any time you access the forum from a mobile / wifi connection your arrival is evaluated with regard to the IP address from which your connection last "jumps" to our server. When using an intermediary (ISP; VPN; wifi / mobile service) it's anybody's guess what IP addresses they are ascribing / assigning to you or routing you through.
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! - hopefully it will all calm down soon... Or I get wifi, but as attached to the 20th century as I am this would be the most unlikely option...

Just for the record ... Wifi usage is not a guaranteed panacea / remedy. You can use wifi locally but still be eventually routed to the forum via suspicious paths.

Yesterday you are logged as having arrived via a flagged (spammer) IP address in Russia. Yes - that Russia.

Today you arrived from a proxy server in New York flagged for multiple spam attacks this week.
Thanks for looking into this.

I have NO freakin idea how I ended up coming through Russia. I’m going to uninstall the VPN entirely.

I am currently using the same home network without having rebooted the router and having no problem. So the mystery continues.

VPN services re-route you through whichever connections they pay for in bulk. Such bulk IP ranges are readily available worldwide. The problem isn't the VPN per se - it's the fact that a VPN provides exactly the type of stealth-misdirection that bad guys (spammers, etc.) use for their nefarious purposes. If bad guys exploit a VPN's IP range that IP range ends up flagged for spam (or worse).

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated! - hopefully it will all calm down soon... Or I get wifi, but as attached to the 20th century as I am this would be the most unlikely option...
I use 'turbo VPN' a free app, and have never had any issues, if you are on a phone it might be worth trying, if it doesn't help you can always uninstall it.

Hi

My first post here - long time lurker though :)

Just wanted to mention that on Sunday night I tried to access the site on my phone via 4G and got the 'IP address banned' message. I'm usually on via wi-fi (on several platforms) so I don't know if this is new or not. I'm on Vodafone - wondering if any other VF users are affected?

Best wishes

Jim

Hi

My first post here - long time lurker though :)

Just wanted to mention that on Sunday night I tried to access the site on my phone via 4G and got the 'IP address banned' message. I'm usually on via wi-fi (on several platforms) so I don't know if this is new or not. I'm on Vodafone - wondering if any other VF users are affected?

Best wishes

Jim
Welcome to the board.
I use a 4G Vodafone and don't have any issues, however, as I said up thread, I often use 'Turbo VPN' the free app, and have never had any issues with that so it might be worth downloading that.

Welcome to the board.
I use a 4G Vodafone and don't have any issues, however, as I said up thread, I often use 'Turbo VPN' the free app, and have never had any issues with that so it might be worth downloading that.
Hi again, and thank you for the welcome :bthumbup:

I'll certainly have a look at that app - FT Forums is one of my 'go to' places and was quite miffed when I couldn't get on :willy:

BW

Jim

I'm getting IP blocked more and more frequently. Is there any way around this?

Does there seem to be any pattern to this?

For instance, is it primarily a problem on mobile devices? Or when you use a proxy server?

Or anything else that occurs to you.

If you are using a phone I would suggest a free VPN, I often use 'Turbo VPN' the free app, and have never had any issues with that so it might be worth downloading that, if you are using an android, for an iPhone I'm sure there are free VPNs available.

I get it regularly but only on this site and only on my iPhone,
when away from home, turning off the phone then restarting
it cures it for a short time.

My first post---hi everybody! I get banned periodically. I visit the forum only on my desktop via ethernet, and in the past have just resigned myself to waiting until I'm un-banned. I'll try the router restart method if (probably when) I get banned again.

Last edited:
My first post---hi everybody! I get banned periodically. I visit the forum only on my desktop via ethernet., and in the past have just resigned myself to waiting until I'm un-banned. I'll try the router restart method if (probably when) I get banned again.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Of course, we'll look into the particulars of your own case, but there seems to be less and less we can do to hold open doors for our members.

If the worst comes to the worst, contact us via the link at the bottom of the page (it is accessible when not signed in), and failing that, re-register and contact us at once via PM. --See below.

Last edited:
Apologies for the inconvenience.

Of course, we'll look into the particulars of your own case, but there seems to be less and less we can do to hold open doors for our members.

If the worst comes to the worst, contact us via the link at the bottom of the page (it is accessible when not signed in), and failing that, re-register and contact us at once via PM.

:dsist:
No - don't re-register! :dsist:

It doesn't make a difference which username is in play. If you're operating from the same IP address that was banned it will simply continue to be blocked for the new username as well.

:dsist:
No - don't re-register! :dsist:

It doesn't make a difference which username is in play. If you're operating from the same IP address that was banned it will simply continue to be blocked for the new username as well.

Listen to him, not me.

Too early in the morning for logic here.

I just press buttons until the correct light comes on.

My first post---hi everybody! I get banned periodically. I visit the forum only on my desktop via ethernet, and in the past have just resigned myself to waiting until I'm un-banned. I'll try the router restart method if (probably when) I get banned again.
Hi!

Welcome!

I'm very sorry to hear that. I got that message quite a few times on my 2nd & 3rd day so asked for help which I received. (I asked for help in a P.M. as I thought I'd unwittingly done something wrong to cause me to go on the naughty list & I'd read the rules & hadn't broken any of them so it confused me as to why I was banned until I asked. *I'd only introduced myself & had fun talking to people & making poems with them.*) (Thank you very much for all your help, guys!) In my case it was caused by me being on mobile internet which was about to expire. (Mother is hard of hearing so me & my Sister have mobile phones & it wouldn't be worth the price for normal internet as we don't watch much TV either so mobile internet is cheaper for us.) I have got the response once or twice a day since but not for as long. Anyway, the point I'm making is you're not alone in having these issues. I hope you get them solved soon.

Ann

I thought I'd been banned for one heart stopping moment a fortnight ago. I was in town so not on home wifi (I'm on the Tesco phone network) , and I got the dreaded IP address banned message.

I thought I'd been banned for one heart stopping moment a fortnight ago. I was in town so not on home wifi (I'm on the Tesco phone network) , and I got the dreaded IP address banned message.

We had a quick chat, you're still allowed in as long as you don't change your avatar.

;)

Hi again, and thank you for the welcome :bthumbup:

I'll certainly have a look at that app - FT Forums is one of my 'go to' places and was quite miffed when I couldn't get on :willy:

BW

Jim

There's no obligation, but it's much easier for fellow members to recall people's posts when they have an avatar. I'm sure that Simon had one at some stage, but perhaps it's been lost during one of the changeovers.

Welcome aboard the board :salute:

Back