• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IP Address Banned?

So if you are using a VPN and it says you're IP is banned there's no workaround? It's a matter of trying a different VPN service?
It's not necessarily necessary to switch VPN services / providers just because your current service routes you to our gates via a banned path.

As Nosmo King mentioned, some VPN services permit you to select default servers to handle your re-routing between your local connection and the forum's server.

If your VPN service employs IP domains owned by others who then offer subscriptions to their address space, there's a good chance your service is routing you through exactly the same virtual space(s) and / or service(s) the bad guys are using.

I always have trouble with my home connection being banned. The problem is the IP address that you are being routed through by your internet provider.

Oddly enough, the IP address you might see on your computer/phone, is not necessarily the one that you are actually using when trying to access the forum.

I have had help from @EnolaGaia several times:bpals: and I have worked out that for some reason my IP address changes quite frequently. Sometimes a router reboot works in connecting with another IP address, sometimes not. Sometimes I just wait (2 weeks or so) until the address changes. I will now only bug enola if I am desperate since I have found that no matter how many times he adds the IP address, it doesn't remain the same.

The really odd thing is that this only affects my access to the forum. I have no problems with any other sites, including the CFI site that hosts this one.

Thought mine was cured no problems for a wile then suddenly ip banned again
at lest it's only on the iPhone and this site no problems with any other.

I can access the board on my phone (like now) and on my Kindle, but no longer on my work laptop - all of a sudden I'm getting the IP address is banned message.

I've always had to use work's VPN to access the wifi, and as far as I've been able to find out it the VPN hasn't changed. Might there be a chance I'll be able to get back on?

Work by the way is a UK Government department.

I to still get this, once the iPhone is is not going through my home router
It starts the "you ip address as been banned" thing, this comes up after it auto
signs in as it shows the screen showing the alerts but then wont let me go
further, turning the phone off and back on sometimes cures it but not for long,
this does not happen on any other site.
:omr:

Last edited:
Just been having a play

If you have Safari on your iPhone try that.

Let me know how you get on.

I tried this and though it seemed to work at first it soon went back to banned ip.

Last edited:
My home connection does this whenever I have a power outage. After trying to sort things out when it happened several months ago, I have a suspicion that it may be my router. So far it hasn't happened, but next time I'll have to contact my service provider. And, yes, for some odd reason, it is only my access to this forum that is ever affected.

It seems to me that these days it's impossible for me to connect over mobile network, no matter where I am, Surrey, Hampshire, Spain, wherever. It's wifi or nothing, very frustrating.

It seems to me that these days it's impossible for me to connect over mobile network, no matter where I am, Surrey, Hampshire, Spain, wherever. It's wifi or nothing, very frustrating.

The basic problem is the same as it ever was ...

If you're using an intermediate carrier and / or a VPN, you may well arrive at the forum's gates from an IP address that (a) bears no relation to your geographical location and (b) has been flagged for recent spam / hacking activity.

If you have sustained problems accessing the forum from a fixed or recurrently-used location:

- check your device's settings to see what IP address is shown as your virtual starting point on your end at that location, and ...
- contact us (the staff) with the IP address (on your end) that seems to result in blockage.

@Tigerhawk and I had this problem, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I had thought I'd posted something that resulted in an immediate ban, but couldn't think what I might have posted that would cause such a thing. Thankfully, it all works again......

@Tigerhawk and I had this problem, as mentioned elsewhere on this forum. I had thought I'd posted something that resulted in an immediate ban, but couldn't think what I might have posted that would cause such a thing. Thankfully, it all works again......

To speak generally, an immediate ban—as you sensed—is hugely unlikely to happen to a regular member.

We do communicate our decisions privately and publically, and even if someone were to post serious illegal content, we'd probably want to keep the account open for legal reasons.

Assume a technical hiccup in almost all scenarios. Use an alternative location to log in from (friend's house, work, café) and contact us directly by PM.

Although it's sometimes the origin of the problem themselves, simply changing from wifi to mobile data on a phone might allow you to log in ane alert us to the issue.

Last edited:
To speak generally, an immediate ban—as you sensed—is hugely unlikely to happen to a regular member.

We do communicate our decisions privately and publically, and even if someone were to post serious illegal content, we'd probably want to keep the account open for legal reasons.

Assume a technical hiccup in almost all scenarios. Use an alternative location to log in from (friend's house, work, café) and contact us directly by PM.

Although they're sometimes the origin of the problem themselves, simply changing from wifi to mobile data on a phone might allow you to log in ane alert us to the issue.
We had thought it was an external issue, caused by techno failure, vengeful gods, sunspots, Voodoo misfire or rogue Godzilla attack.

How can you send a PM if you're locked out of your account?

How can you send a PM if you're locked out of your account?

You can't.

The problem referred to above is when your IP address is being blocked by the site/board.

This isn't connected with your account being banned/locked or your having lost or forgotten your password.

Separate issue.

I'll find out our post current advice for being 'locked out' and post it here soon.

You can't.

The problem referred to above is when your IP address is being blocked by the site/board.

This isn't connected with your account being banned/locked or your having lost or forgotten your password.

Separate issue.

I'll find out our post current advice for being 'locked out' and post it here soon.
Comes to the same thing though: no access to the board. You have to go off to Reddit and discuss politics instead.

I have found that my occasional IP address being banned is because my router has changed the IP address to one that is questionable. As far as I understand, the IP addresses accessible to your router are coming from your ISP. If you can change your connecting IP address, either by resetting your router, or connecting from another totally different wi-fi hookup, then you can access the forum to send PM. Sometimes, all I can do is wait out the time until my home wi-fi changes to a better IP address on its own.

The forum is not the problem, your IP address is. If you cannot re-establish a "good" connection, then the only possible way of letting the mods know of your problem is through email.

For some reason, this forum website is very strict for allowing access I have not had troubles with other websites.

Comes to the same thing though: no access to the board. You have to go off to Reddit and discuss politics instead.
Can we do that here, through Interpretive Dance?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recently away on holiday (in Cromer-seriously) and was using my tablet to access FT all week from my room and then suddenly on Thursday it decided to tell me my IP address was banned !?

I was recently away on holiday (in Cromer-seriously) and was using my tablet to access FT all week from my room and then suddenly on Thursday it decided to tell me my IP address was banned !?
Were you using Swifty's Wifi? :evillaugh:

I don't have a Wi-Fi router. All the net use in this house is done through my phone's hotspot and and unlimited PAYG SIM. I got locked out a lot the last few days but it's working now.

Lucky as it's the only way I can access it.

What time was it when you were first blocked on Thursday? (Please also specify time zone if not GMT.)

Back