• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

IP Address Banned?

5pm British Summertime

Thanks for the additional info. No IP address you've used before or since that timeframe has been banned. You must have been getting routed through a known problematic address by whatever service was handling your connection in Cromer.

Thanks for looking into this -was (as far as I am aware) using the router of Diamond Resorts (recently bought by Hilton group) which was my only way of contacting internet.

Cant get in at all now when out and about though I can
get in to all the other sites I visit without problem.

It would seem that my work IP address has been banned; 10.23.42.47.

I mean granted, I probably should be working, but I do like the odd browse.

Is it something that can be resolved, or should I just live with it...?

Mine was banned two days ago it was ok yesterday and banned again today
this in when on a iPhone away from the home router, sometimes turning the
iPhone off then back on allows a connection.
:omr:

It would seem that my work IP address has been banned; 10.23.42.47.
Is it something that can be resolved, or should I just live with it...?

That address (indeed, its entire IP range) is not banned on our end. It belongs to a large anonymous pool of IP addresses.

According to our logs you've never arrived at the forum from that address (or any other within its range).

Somewhere somehow your connection is being re-routed so as to finally arrive at the forum from some other IP address.

For example, your most recent logged arrival is attributed to an unrelated IP address in far northern Scotland. A week ago you arrived from an unrelated IP address at the far tip of Cornwall.

That address (indeed, its entire IP range) is not banned on our end. It belongs to a large anonymous pool of IP addresses.

According to our logs you've never arrived at the forum from that address (or any other within its range).

Somewhere somehow your connection is being re-routed so as to finally arrive at the forum from some other IP address.

For example, your most recent logged arrival is attributed to an unrelated IP address in far northern Scotland. A week ago you arrived from an unrelated IP address at the far tip of Cornwall.

It must be something with the I.T dept then, given the office is in the glorious metropolis of, ummm, Sheffield, and furthest I go, is to the water machine...

Thanks for checking, though.

If (as I suspect) there is re-routing (and re-assignment of a different / virtual IP address) happening, then there is no necessary correspondence between the IP address for you at your end and the IP address from which your connection attempt is arriving on our end.

If you make a point to locate (e.g., in your network settings) the IP address attributed to your device when you're being blocked (right then and there; immediately) we might be able to do something about it. You'd need to determine that currently assigned IP address at the moment of blockage and contact us (PM me directly with the address(s)).

Even then, there's no guarantee the blockage can be removed. There are outboard security components and services over which we have no control or influence.

In any case, if you're being re-routed the IP address we see for you on our end may have no relation to the IP address you can verify for your device on your end. If we can't ID the final IP address from which you're arriving we can't possibly evaluate it, much less resolve the blockage.

Hi, I am currently migrating all my emails from AOL to Gmail. I just tried to make the change in this forum and it told me that the email address I had entered had been banned by the administrator. I do not understand why.

The address is almost identical: just @gmail.com rather than @aol.com

Please help

Does this site accept gmail accounts? I think I had a similar issue signing up for the first time.

Hi, I am currently migrating all my emails from AOL to Gmail. I just tried to make the change in this forum and it told me that the email address I had entered had been banned by the administrator. I do not understand why.

The address is almost identical: just @gmail.com rather than @aol.com

Please help

No, idea why not, but I'll find out and get back to you by message.

Does this site accept gmail accounts? I think I had a similar issue signing up for the first time.

Yes, as far as I know.

I can likely manually edit your account to use one even if not accepted at registration.

Mike Fule's address was easily fixed.

If you or any other known member wishes to change to a gmail account, please send the desired address to me by private messsage.

This exact thing happened to me earlier in the week. I was panicked in case I'd upset the wrong person or done something wrong, but I managed to get a message out to Yithian, who put Enola onto the case and they managed to sort me out. Enola said it was probably a mistake, but be reassured that it's happened to others too.
This also happened to me about a week ago on my PC and I wondered the same thing until I found this thread by logging in on my ipad. I rebooted my router and the problem, touch wood, has gone away. I also had the same problem logging into BBC iplayer, again this was solved by rebooting.

Never had this when logging in from home
but very often happens when trying to log
in wile out from the i-phone, annoying as never
had the problem from any other site.

See it on television every day,
Hear it on the radio...
Well, you, @Tigerhawk and I are cultured...

UnYuZ5rtmTvQi326U8Atzm-320-80.jpg

Last year I couldn't use the board when on my phone data so I stopped bothering.

Last year I couldn't use the board when on my phone data so I stopped bothering.

That's very odd.

It's usually the phone networks that offer an 'escape route' when we have problems with traditional ISPs.

Though, I confess, I don't understand the system half as well as @EnolaGaia did.

The only time I've been told my IP was banned was when I tried coming in here while I was using a VPN.

That's very odd.

It's usually the phone networks that offer an 'escape route' when we have problems with traditional ISPs.

Though, I confess, I don't understand the system half as well as @EnolaGaia did.
He was very helpful. He helped me a lot when I was on mobile internet & couldn't get on a few days or times on the trot. (Since then I've got home internet & have had no problems.

But half the forum, and most of the mods are riff-raff.:wink2:
Speak for yourself, groundling.

Seriously, though, we have had a massive problem with mobile IPs, so it doesn't matter what phone, it's the network. Spambots latch onto it and fling multiple sign ups at us. What we could do is go back and review the ranges that have been banned for a while.

Thing is with mine when on the mobile it happens about 75% of the time,
it never happens on any other site,
it must be a setting on this site,
having said that I appreciate the work done to keep this site online
and don't want to cause anyone any grief.

This is what I get

The Forteana Forums
RaM
  • Please be advised there is a potential issue with DD collections, which may result in an excessive amount being taken. Please read the stickied thread in Fortean Times Magazine > General Discussion, Subs etc

Oops! We ran into some problems.​

Your IP address has been banned.

Back