• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Iraq Murder

madgarlick

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I was in conversation with a collegue last week who mentioned that during the 'war' in Iraq, when a group of Iraqi soldiers gave them selves up (around 2000 of them) the American army gave the order to shoot them all. The RAF refused to do this, and this is the only time ever that the RAF has refused to fly. The Americans did however fly, and the Iraqis were murdered as they were in allied custody.

Has anyone else heard this story, or does anyone know more details?

I've never heard this story before, but it sounds like black propaganda. It's unclear as to why the RAF or USAF have to be the ones killing them. Does this imply that they were rounded up into an area and then bombed?

'fraid it doesn't ring true. (Not to say that terrible things aren't committed during war, but this seems a tad convoluted.)

This sounds a little like the so called "turkey shoot" when the Iraqi's were fleeing back to Iraq out of Kuwait City, at the end of the war & were strafed as they fled along the Kuwait to Baghdad road.

Lots of disgusting pictures were published at the time of charred people in motor vehicles.

What seens to have been missed is that this massacre, may also explain what happened to a large number of people from Kuwait itself, who went missing in the last days of that war!!!!

Snatched as hostages, they became victims!!!!!!!!

Does have a ring of truth to it....

The British government recently (1999 or so) revealed that Argentinian prisoners of war were executed on Goose Green by British troops - does sound suspect to me, but stranger things have happened......

Nope - but good try!

Repeat after me:
Although I am a 23 year old British FT subscriber, I must not try to be ironic... Forteans must not try irony.... Merely repeating the Words La Vey will cause people to assume you are a sad lonely American teen who has never read anything and is trying to get a rise out of people with nothing better to do....

Note to self: Try using Solzhenitsyn as a screen name - maybe people will think you are a dead Gulag veteran.....

I like the name, it reminds me of the stage name of a transvestite dancer I once knew :)

Blimey, those were the days :(

Didn't John Pilger write something about airforce pilots using people as target practice in Iraq? Using the guns....

Tangental note:- I keep getting an image of KEnny Everett in US army uniform screaming '...and we round 'em up in to a field and BOMB THE BASTARDS'

Happy days!

8¬)

The key part of the claim was that the Iraqis "gave themselves up", which sounds very much as if they had surrendered. Whilst the massacre of the troops fleeing along the Basra Road (I think) was horrific, there is a difference between surrendering and running away. (Certainly from the viewpoint of the Geneva convention...)

As to the use of Iraqi troops for target practice, that is pretty much what war is. (Though of course in war the targets get to shoot back...) Though of course this is a different matter if the Iraqis had already surrendered.

It was at Goose Green that one group of Argentinians surrendered & as they did so another group fired on the group of British soldiers who were accepting the surender. A reporter at the time, remarked that : "They were not given another chance".

Later, it seems to have been accepted, that in the heat of battle, mistakes were made on both sides.

On Basra Road it was not just soldiers that were killed.

"These were people who were putting up no resistance, many with no weapons, others with rifles packed in bedrolls, leaving in cars, trucks, carts, and on foot. Many civilians from Iraq, Kuwait, and immigrant workers from other countries were killed at the same time as they tried to flee."

"The U.S. armed forces bombed one end of the main highway from Kuwait city to Basra, sealing it off. They bombed the other end of the highway and sealed it off. They positioned mechanized artillery units on the hills overlooking it. And then, from the air and from the land they simply massacred every living thing on the road. Fighter bombers, helicopter gunships, and armored battalions poured merciless firepower on traffic jams backed up for as much as twenty miles. When the traffic became gridlocked, the B-52s were sent in for carpet bombing."

More details:

http://www.synergynet.co.uk/sheffield-iraq/articles/roadtobasra.htm

This is WAR !!!

People get killed in war time. Unfortunately that's what war is all about. If you're somewhere where you're not meant to be, whether you're armed or not, you're a legitimate target. If the unarmed Iraqis joined the convoy on the road to Basra, they stepped into the theatre in which the Allied forces were going to bomb them and possibly kill them.

It's like this stupid thing with the MET killing so call unarmed people recently. If you're holding up something that looks like a gun, and threatening to harm someone, you're not unarmed. You're armed, and should the worse come to the worse, a legitimate target.

Moggadon

Back