• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Iron Man Begins

Nice link - looks a lot like Oochi Sackamoto's (or Jettski Lee or whatever his name is) version of HULK!

EDIT - off topic comment removed.

No longer off topic, I've given it its own Thread.

So, Robert Downey Jr plays Tony Stark!

Worth seeing, possibly. No wonder the audience getting the sneak preview of the new, 'live' action, Iron Man movie were cheering. though. Let's just hope that wasn't all the best bits.

The first Iron Man suit seems to look enough like the original 'gold' suit to pass muster. :)

This has more of my attention that Dark Knight, and I'm a Bats fan

I dunno, I can't get excited about Robert Downey Jr, he's awfully mannered. Rather him than original choice Tom Cruise, mind you.

I've watched the footage now, and this might be good fun actually.

BlackRiverFalls said:
dunno. it looks a bit cheesy to me... a bit too sub robocop... :?
Sub robocop? You mean to say that there's room for worse movies than Robocop? Including the sequels or sans?

I don't understand, I thought that Robocop was a great movie.

Anyway, it's Marvel, it's meant to be cheesy. :)

Downey does seem to pin Stark down perfectly (smug, bored tosser who has issues and is a bit of a nasty bsastard) in what is/was a fairly short clip. I'm actually looking forward to it now; I previously thought it was a fairly naff idea but it might work.

well i had just woken up when i saw it, so maybe not in the best frame of mind for marvel cheese just then...

...unfortunately, it's now been pulled due to copyright infringement... so i can't watch it again :(

I think Downey would be great. He´s a brilliant actor and he certainly can portray being an alcoholic. I´m just not sure Iron Man is an interesting enough superhero to make a movie about.
I would suggest having a look at the Marvel series The Ultimates. It is where they have taken the rather boring Avengers, and recreated them in a much more realistic way. Similar to how the Batman Begins movie managed to seem realistic, they here have global politics, flawed heroes and moral ambiguity. I was very impressed, and I don´t usually read any comics.

Xanatico said:
I think Downey would be great. He´s a brilliant actor and he certainly can portray being an alcoholic. I´m just not sure Iron Man is an interesting enough superhero to make a movie about.
I would suggest having a look at the Marvel series The Ultimates. It is where they have taken the rather boring Avengers, and recreated them in a much more realistic way. Similar to how the Batman Begins movie managed to seem realistic, they here have global politics, flawed heroes and moral ambiguity. I was very impressed, and I don´t usually read any comics.

I'd have much preferred an Ultimates movie - the Ulitmates is easily one of my favourite comics and I read quite a lot of comics - but, and I could be wrong, I'm sure I once read that licensing was spread across too many different companies because of the assortment of characters. I also prefer the 'brain tumor' angle to the heart problem and the other related problems &c.

I'm surprised you can say that he's not interesting though; the origin itself is a decent enough story. If you were judging Stark/Iron Man on the much of his past stories then perhaps I might agree with you at a push but I'd have thought there was enough there to fill out at least two films.

Also, currently Stark/Iron Man is a really interesting character due to the fall out of the Illuminati and Civil War stories. He's more like Iron Arsehole at the moment.

Went to see this yesterday, found it a bit yawn city :(

The action bits are fairly good, as are the comic relief bits with Stark in his lab with his robot 'friends', that aside, it really goes on a bit and the bad guy is a bit crap, both as himself and as whatever he's meant to be as supervillain (i don;t know iron man that well).

Looks like the beginning's been edited too try and liven it up too, shunting the action bit to the very start and then telling the next bit in flashback,which sort of kills a really good joke.

Not too impressed with this one...

I went to see it on Saturday with the (still) wife and kids. I won't go into long boring details, but I can say it's the first comic book movie that did not leave wanting more. I liked it from beggining to end. As a matter of fact, we enjoyed it so much we did not mind that it was dubbed in Spanish, something that we ussually avoid like the plague, because the dubbing is crappy most of the times. Also, the movie had the side effect that my kids are beggining to like Black Sabbath, and that could only be a very good thing. :D

Went Saturday with my husband the comic fan and a friend who has never read a single superhero comic. We all liked it. It catered to its core audience and delivered the four-color power fantasy experience without making the non-fan feel left out of the loop. The bit at the end of the credits meant nothing to the non-fan, but that's why they put it at the end of the credits - so that only the diehard fen who cared enough to sit through the copyright notice would be troubled by it.

Though many of the fen are calling this "the best superhero movie ever," I personally still prefer Spider-Man (the first two; Spidey III was getting seriesitis) because I'm not so much into the action and gadgets and identify more with the nerd than the rich jackass. This Tony was a jackass, and (as my husband remarked when the stewardesses did their pole dance) the only respectable woman in the script was Pepper. But it was a perfectly good action flick and the movie did not make the mistake of trying to go for more character depth than the plot called for or the writers and actors could deliver. This was what it was with no apology or self-doubt, and that's good enough.

I liked it because it stuck fairly closely to the four-color comic sensibility. Pepper Potts, is a bit Miss Moneypenny isn't she, the only woman who really loves the rather rougish hero, but he doesn't really see it.

I though Robert Downey Jnr made a could job of Tony Stark, he's not a particularly likeable character in the comics, but Downey gave him that charming, rakish touch. He's likeable even if he is a bit of a bastard.

I liked the injoke about the secret agency with the extremely cumbersome name, that finally turns out to S.H.I.E.L.D., means nothing exept to those who read way too many Marvel comic back in the day.

Liked it better than the Hulk, which spent way too much time on the dilemma of man's dual nature and not enough "HULK, SMASH!"

Oh, it was miles better than the last Hulk movie, which did make the error of going for inappropriate character depth, and did it in the worst possible way. At our screening, we got a preview for the new Hulk movie, which looked better; but judging from the previews, General "Thunderbolt" Ross makes the folks in charge of That Mess in Iraq look like strategic geniuses. He regards Banner/the Hulk as U.S. Government property - okay. So how does he go about retrieving a self-aware piece of government property that turns into a mean green smashing machine when angered? He throws unbriefed troops with machine guns and tanks at it in populated areas! And then, when that doesn't work, he makes another one! (Yes, the Abomination is coming soon to a theater near you.)

Beautiful woman. Drink. Opiate. That's how you capture the Hulk. Duh.

Please excuse thread drift.

Back on topic - we saw the Iron Man Cartoon Theme cited in the music credits, but neither my husband nor I (our friend never saw the cartoon) recalls hearing it in the movie. Did anybody else catch it? What scene was it backing up? ("He fights and fights with repulsor rays.")

I saw it yesterday, and I liked it too. As others have said, unlike Hulk it didn't waste far too much time navel-gazing and instead got on with the business of being about Iron Man, which is why most people go and see it in the first place.

I must also say this movie did not disappoint. Downey was of course great as Tony Stark, the Iron Man suit was not done in a directly unrealistic manner, and the amount of action and comedy fitted great.

I admit, I am rather behind (i.e. waaaaay behind!) with the current Marvel universe wotsit, but Iron Man was always my favourite. Dark, sarcastic, bit of a shitbag, alcoholic, womanising rogue. I quite fancied him myself. If it's possible to fancy a comic character. ;)

I was a bit unsure of Robert Downey Jr playing him, but just the trailer was enough to convince me. Now, I can't imagine anyone else playing him. And I've not seen the movie yet, but I feel an Orange Wednesday coming on.

Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury - now that I just don't get. ;)

Ravenstone said:

I was a bit unsure of Robert Downey Jr playing him, but just the trailer was enough to convince me. Now, I can't imagine anyone else playing him. And I've not seen the movie yet, but I feel an Orange Wednesday coming on.

I really liked the original gold suited Iron Man, when he appeared in the Fantastic comic. That was a long time ago. Later I found him to be a bit of a asshole. Which apparently was a view shared by later Marvel writers.

I like Downey Jr, though. He can act and I reckon he'll be the business, portraying Stark as both an asshole and yet also sympathetic. I can hardly wait to take my son to see it! :D

Ravenstone said:
That's because he's Ultimate Nick Fury, not the regular Earth 616 Nick Fury.

No idea which Tony Stark Downey Jr is meant to be, though. And The Hulk is definitely the 616 one, since the Ultimate one is grey. And eats people.

Sparks will fly.... ;)

The whole 616 thing kind of goes straight over my head. Apart from a passing reference in Gaiman's 1602.

BlackRiverFalls said:
i wonder what happens if he pee's himself in that suit...

Actually, it gets recicled into drinking water.

Okay, I just made that out.

I thought Downey did an excellent job as Ironman, and he sure is gorgeous too :wow: I think he gets better looking with age.

Back