• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Irrational Science Fiction & Fantasy Clichés

I preferred her in Stargate, as well as Ben Browder.

Mmmm - Claudia Black in SG1. Vala had a grown-up daughter played by Morena Baccarin from Firefly. Then Jewel Staite from Firefly popped up in SG Atlantis. And then Lexa Doig (another actress who caused me 'anxiety') from Andromeda was cast in Stargate, being married to Michael Shanks (Daniel Jackson) in real life.
Not that I watch much Sci-Fi.

The problem with the Borg is they are very adaptable. So you shift the shield harmonics, to keep them from adapting to that specific harmonic. For other species that just isn't needed.
One thing that's been mentioned is that the form of energy shielding used by the Federation in Star Trek is not 100% effective unless it's a drastically different frequency from the enemy weapons fire. Thus changing the frequency might make it more effective. The Borg seem like they're a race that actually can change the frequency of their beam attacks mid-battle. It's kinda like "walking in" artillery. Fire, check result, repeat. Rotating the shield frequency moves the target.

Interesting thread. I'd suggest:

Nearly all alien races look like humans with bits added — mainly to their heads — because it's easier to add prosthetics to an actor than to amputate bits: the union would complain. (CGI has started to change this, though.)

Many alien races are derived from Earth creatures: insects, lizards etc.

The predominance of Roman, Greek or ancient Egyptian fashions and architecture among intelligent humanoid alien races.

All intelligent species from "desert planets" being vaguely Arabic.

The concept of "desert planets" (or ice planets, etc.) where the temperature is bearable for humans, yet strangely uniform from pole to equator to other pole.

Not only can humans have romantic relationships and sex with quasi humanoid aliens, but many of the various unrelated species of alien all seem to get on (or fall out) or pair off together in bars just like a good ol' buncha rednecks.

Slave traders in a universe where AI, robots and machinery can do pretty much anything a slave can do, but better.

Not only do most planets have atmosphere breathable to humans, but with no toxic or parasitic bacteria or viruses blowing about waiting to be breathed in.

Not only that, but the majority of alien species can breathe an Earth-normal atmosphere. It is always presented as a "scientific detail" if one species needs a special breathing medium.

Nearly all planets have near Earth-normal gravity. (Written SF from the classic era is rather better in this regard, but films and series are rubbish at it.)

Space ships designed for intergalactic travel, can also land on planets, and take off again, easily. It makes all the fuss over escape velocity and the Apollo missions seem so last year, dahlings.

Indeed, it is not unknown for a starship the size of a small town to be able to go under water. They're designed to cope equally well with pressure from the inside or pressure from the outside, as circumstances require.

Automatic doors on starships opening and closing with a pneumatic whoosh, unlike the automatic doors at most supermarkets.

"My scanner is detecting life forms..." From orbit, you are somehow able to pick up evidence of life forms, not by their cities, roads, or visible presence, but by some strange bio-radiation that scanners can detect.

Also on the subject of, "My scanner is detecting lifeforms..." It is always assumed this means intelligent animals. No one ever says, "Oh, it might just be bacteria, or grass, or fish, or field mice."

The small mouth within the larger mouth when an alien is particularly fierce.

Certain aliens from distant planets seem to have evolved to live on a diet of human beings. (This is a bit like how frightened people are of "man eating sharks" as if sharks have evolved specifically to survive by eating the occasional person who goes for an ill-considered swim.)

"Logical" being a synonym for cold, unemotional, rational, etc. Nope: logic is a very specific set of analytical tools. (Spock should often say, "Seems plausible, Captain.")

Last edited:
Indeed, it is not unknown for a starship the size of a small town to be able to go under water. They're designed to cope equally well with pressure from the inside or pressure from the outside, as circumstances require.
"How many atmospheres can the ship withstand? " "Well, it's a space ship, so I'd say anywhere between zero and one"

Interesting thread. I'd suggest:

The concept of "desert planets" (or ice planets, etc.) where the temperature is bearable for humans, yet strangely uniform from pole to equator to other pole.

Yeah that's a good one. Spaceship crash lands. It's the desert. Oh must be a desert planets. Not just a deserty part of a planet!

Also on the subject of, "My scanner is detecting lifeforms..." It is always assumed this means intelligent animals. No one ever says, "Oh, it might just be bacteria, or grass, or fish, or field mice."

Yeah. You want to see them beam down...30 seconds later beam back. Nope. Nope. Bees everywhere. So many bees.

"My scanner is detecting life forms..." From orbit, you are somehow able to pick up evidence of life forms, not by their cities, roads, or visible presence, but by some strange bio-radiation hat scanners can detect.
This one seems relatively straightforward. The cities etc could be empty thanks to civilization ending plague or wars or some such. So a city or roads does not indicate current life.

Automatic doors on starships opening and closing with a pneumatic whoosh, unlike the automatic doors at most supermarkets.
The doors also seem to know when people are actually going to enter the room and not walk past or stop outside for a chat or lurk outside the room.

Well people actually DO have detectable energy emissions: body heat and the bio-electric field that is created by your muscles and neurons. Attempting to discern the difference between people and animals seems tricky though. But if you're running the scan data through a computer algorithm, then the algorithm can do stuff like parsing shape/size/movement to help you guess which are actual people and not stuff like dogs or cats or whatever. Especially if you're using the science console on a starship.

In Star Trek, each time they use the "scanning for life signs" they do it a bit different. Sometimes it's very vague, sometimes very specific. Reasons are often not explained.
The doors also seem to know when people are actually going to enter the room and not walk past or stop outside for a chat or lurk outside the room.
I think this is based on having a more sophisticated tracking software. Supermarket models are a simple range check. They don't attempt to track direction or speed of movement.

And yet I have the opposite problem here on earth. I stand in front of an auto door and nothing happens!

In the Simpson's, automatic door sensors detect your soul. When Bart sells his soul to Milhouse, one of his problems is the door to the kwik-e-mart no longer works for him.
That reminds me. In the Blade movies they mentioned that vampires have the same problem for a different reason. Being undead causes their resting body temperature to be the same as their environment. They even had custom calibrated IR scanners to make it easier to pick out vampires at a distance.

Have you been making a list over the years like me? If so, you did what I didn't, and made notes, and you've brought up some I'd forgotten about.

Many alien races are derived from Earth creatures: insects, lizards etc.

Quite right! In fairness, vaguely insectoid life elsewhere doesn't seem extremely implausible. Where my suspension of disbelief suffers is when roughly human sized and shaped aliens are insectoid. The same goes for reptilians. This also connects with the observation that many sci-fi species have recognisably human gender characteristics. A five foot eight inch tall clearly female reptile woman, with boobs? Seems highly unlikely.

The predominance of Roman, Greek or ancient Egyptian fashions and architecture among intelligent humanoid alien races.

I hadn't actually really noticed this one. I'd add 'Nazi' style fascist societies as being overly represented among alien humanoids. There are probably others. I suppose it's a kind of narrative shorthand.

Nearly all planets have near Earth-normal gravity. (Written SF from the classic era is rather better in this regard, but films and series are rubbish at it.)

Oh, how could I have forgotten this particularly persistent bugbear from my earlier posts? The planet of a single geographical feature, still large enough to have Earthlike gravity, and able to support human life, even though it's entirely covered by ice, or rock, or desert. Star Wars is a particular offender, of course, but I kind of give it a pass because it's two thirds fantasy anyway.

Slave traders in a universe where AI, robots and machinery can do pretty much anything a slave can do, but better.

Yeah, what's that all about? Machines are more reliable, require less rest, are less likely to rise up against their owners. Can be stored upright in a cupboard without constantly complaining.

Not only that, but the majority of alien species can breathe an Earth-normal atmosphere. It is always presented as a "scientific detail" if one species needs a special breathing medium.

Yes, so you get space stations full of species from all over the galaxy, most of which are not, for some reason, lying on the floor, dead or gasping for breath.

"My scanner is detecting life forms..." From orbit, you are somehow able to pick up evidence of life forms, not by their cities, roads, or visible presence, but by some strange bio-radiation that scanners can detect.

Scanners have always perplexed me. I'm not sure on what kind of radiation most of them work, or whether they actively send out radiation or passively receive it from the targets, or both, since ships seem to know when they're being scanned. What information they give seems highly plot driven. Sometimes it's 'scanners are detecting life aboard, captain.' Other times it's, 'scanners are detecting four lifeforms, including one Farcican chewing some gum, a Unlikelian scratching his balls, A Ridiculon with five credits thirty two cents in his pocket, and a Stupidoid who usually smokes a pipe but is on nicotine patches.'

Here's another one, prompted by watching an old Star Trek (TOS) episode.
In the programme, the characters watch video footage of something happening. It might be happening then or be a reconstruction of past events, or be a replaying of a memory from one of the characters.
Where is the camera? How did this camera get in there amongst the other characters, unnoticed?
It's like a 'god' camera that can see everything.
Star Trek (TNG) did this a bit more believably - they used the holodeck and computer to reconstruct past events, filling in the gaps with extrapolation.

Nobody ever goes to the toilet unless it's necessary for the plot. You don't even see a 'gents' sign on any doors of any spaceships. I mean what's happened in the future - have we evolved a way to 'bake it' all day or something?
I imagine Star Trek TNG would be a bit different if Picard said to Riker "You have the chair, Number One, while I go for a number two....."

Nobody ever goes to the toilet unless it's necessary for the plot. You don't even see a 'gents' sign on any doors of any spaceships. I mean what's happened in the future - have we evolved a way to 'bake it' all day or something?
I imagine Star Trek TNG would be a bit different if Picard said to Riker "You have the chair, Number One, while I go for a number two....."

They just beam it onboard the nearest Klingon vessel

What do you think Picard's 'ready room' is really for?

Here's another one, prompted by watching an old Star Trek (TOS) episode.
In the programme, the characters watch video footage of something happening. It might be happening then or be a reconstruction of past events, or be a replaying of a memory from one of the characters.
Where is the camera? How did this camera get in there amongst the other characters, unnoticed?
It's like a 'god' camera that can see everything.
Star Trek (TNG) did this a bit more believably - they used the holodeck and computer to reconstruct past events, filling in the gaps with extrapolation.

In the olden times of tv sci-fi, they'd frequently reconstruct a captured character's memories and we'd see it from the same camera angles as we'd seen the original events played out. Similarly with being shown recordings of events, or watching events going on at a distance. Even knee-high-to-a-wren Pete Byrdie used to think, 'why are we seeing these events on this alien's monitor from the same near distance and close up cameras as they were filmed for the tv audience?'

Not sure what 'inertial dampeners (dampers)' are as I gave up on Physics at an early age - but they sound jolly useful.
Star Trek, 5 year mission to split an infinitive - 5 years for whom ? Surely you can't warp around the Galaxy without some sort of time-dilation effect when you get back to Earth.
As mentioned, most alien cultures have a history that included the Nazis, 1920's Mobsters, cowboys, ancient Greeks, Norse and Romans (where our Gods & Mythology came from).
The most wonderful scene from Babylon 5 came as all the human and alien ships left the Station for the final battle - back of shot were two 1950's style Flying Saucers - never revealed what race they belonged to.

And a 5 year mission....okay so where are they keeping all the supplies? Food, toiletries, clothing, drinking water, etc etc surely it isn't all coming from microwave sized 'replicators'?

Not sure what 'inertial dampeners (dampers)' are as I gave up on Physics at an early age - but they sound jolly useful.
Star Trek, 5 year mission to split an infinitive - 5 years for whom ? Surely you can't warp around the Galaxy without some sort of time-dilation effect when you get back to Earth.
I've sometimes wondered how time dilation works with warp speed. If they were travelling near to luminal velocity in ordinary space, they'd experience time dilation. Since they're travelling at superluminal velocity in warped space (essentially not travelling faster than light at all but warping the space around them), I think it's best to not think too much about it.

And a 5 year mission....okay so where are they keeping all the supplies? Food, toiletries, clothing, drinking water, etc etc surely it isn't all coming from microwave sized 'replicators'?
In the original series they did seem to stop at space stations and other federation planets quite often. I don't think they were ever that far out. Plus, the ship was huge, and probably stored a lot of stuff. In later series, as I understand it, replicators used the same technology as transporters. If you can combine energy back into the form of a human, you can combine energy into the form of food.

I'll tentatively add two about which I'm unsure.

Starships crewed like ships and submarines. With computer technology progressing as it is, how many people really need to man a starship. Does the bridge still require a dozen crewmembers, not to mention such an array of instruments, to control it?

Stasis, cryo type things for long journeys. These things turn up frequently with little real explanation as to their purpose. Travelling through ordinary means, it would take years, decades, even centuries to traverse interstellar distances. But in franchises where days, weeks or months are required, I'm less sure of the necessity of travelling in hyper sleep, stasis or whatever it's called. There are possible explanations, but they're rarely delt with. And they seem dangerous. People are always dying in those things.

Hydroponics and replicators.

Toiletries? No need for TP, they have the 3 seashells. They also have ultrasonic showers.
Drinking water is recycled from pee and water vapour in the air.
Clothing is all from replicators.

It's was a bit of a theme in the recent season of Doctor who- graeme started taking sandwiches on adventures because they never stopped for food. And at least one episode had him looking for the loo. Not sure he ever found it.

Every alien race speaks English. Sometimes there's a universal translator or such, sometimes they've learnt it, but more often than not there's no explanation.

I've sometimes wondered how time dilation works with warp speed. If they were travelling near to luminal velocity in ordinary space, they'd experience time dilation. Since they're travelling at superluminal velocity in warped space (essentially not travelling faster than light at all but warping the space around them), I think it's best to not think too much about it.

Heh! I think you've summed it up nicely.

Every alien race speaks English. Sometimes there's a universal translator or such, sometimes they've learnt it, but more often than not there's no explanation.
Interspecies communication has popped up a couple of times in this thread. I said earlier that I was willing to let that go for its narrative convenience. Every now and then a sci-fi movie or TV programme will make a plot out of the difficulties of communicating with alien species (it's a cookbook! A poor example, but it makes me chuckle), but mostly it's waved with a quick explanation or none at all. But recently, I've been catching up with the Marvel Cinematic Universe. In this universe, because of the breadth of genres it encompasses, foreign languages become a thing when espionage tropes are in play, and yet in Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. a character can boast about having learned an alien language, while still communicating freely with aliens of clearly a multitude of species. It becomes very mixed. And yet, universal communicator or not, you have to learn 'groot' to know what 'I am Groot' means. (Should I have capitalised 'Groot' in 'I am Groot'? Since the sentence could mean anything.)

I'm not going to take issue with how universal communicators seem to match their translations with a character's mouth movements, as that really is narrative convenience. Even a pedantic goit like me doesn't want to sit through a movie where folk are moving their mouths inconsistently with the words I'm hearing. It's really jarring.

Even a pedantic goit like me doesn't want to sit through a movie where folk are moving their mouths inconsistently with the words I'm hearing. It's really jarring.
I love those old Chinese kung fu films.

Back