• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Osama Bin Laden a Tom Clancy Fan?

A

Anonymous

In "Debt of Honour" an aeroplane is flown into the US Capital building - OK, not the WTC, but the Plane that crashed in PA may have been heading there.
In "Executive Orders", Clancy describes the shutdown of the Stock Exchange and much of Washington due to a suicide pilot hitting the capital city - see above.
In the same book, he talks of "an Islamic Coalition" threatening the United States.
Again, in "Executive Orders", Clancy talks of a President (Jack Ryan), who is both unwilling and unable to do the job, but ultimately succeeds - anyone see a parallel?
And in "Cardinal of the Kremlin", there is a lot of text devoted to the Mujaheddin in Afghanistan.

Is this just coincidence? Yes, but his next book "The Bear and the Dragon" talks of Nuclear war with the Chinese - presonally, I'm moving to Tristan Da Cuhna just to be sure! :)

This has happened before, wasn't there a book describing the sinking of the Titanic but it was called The Titan, it had the four funnels like the titanic, it struck an iceberg and there was a terrible loss of life. I can't remember the name of the book or the author though

As it says in the latest issue of FT, many writers have come up with the plot of 9/11 including the 'Lone Gunman', the odious 'Turner Diaries' and 'The Running Man' (book not film).
Despite Bin laden having certain issues with anger management, people should never underestimate his intelligence. He was brought up in a civil engineering mindset, and can certainly hire the best outlaw scientists there are. And before 9/11 it was clear that
a) American Airport Security was (is?) piss poor.
b) A fueled up commerical aircraft is big enough to take down a skyscraper.
BTW - I remember a Tom Clancy book about a homemade nuke taking out the Superbowl, should we start worrying now?

Is Tom Clancy a real person? Or is he just a front for the CIA? After all he seems to be the only person that ever writes anything nice about the CIA.

Good mention of "The Turner Diaries" - obviously, this is a war on terrorism, not on Islam, but on the 11th and 12th September, I wonder how many networks were looking at William Pierce's book and thinking, "You know guys, maybe it was an American?"
I have no doubt that Al Qu'Aida was behind these attacks, but the phrase "Islamic Terrorists" strikes me as a little hypocritical - was McVeigh a "Protestant Terrorist?" Are ETA "Spanish Catholic Terrorists?" And please don't get me started on Northern Ireland!
And as for Clancy, it just goes to show that life imitates art (OK, not art, but I like his books!)

In that case, we'd better watch out for the imminent construction of a Death Star.:spinning

You can joke buddy, but I'm still not sure that Bush's "Son of Starwars" doesn't have a less earthly purpose! There could be little green men from Sirius sitting up there delivering Anthrax and commissioning a new series of "Judging Amy". I think we should blow them out of the sky before Pauly Shore is elected Speaker of the House...... Excuse me, I need my medication!

Back