• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Roswell Incident [1947]

If perhaps of interest, having recently recovered all of the 1999-2004 archives from the 'UFO Research List' I operated at the time, these contain some informed, related content.

I'm out sure if my following posting was ever seen outwith those list discussions:

Screenshot_20211221-102844.jpg

Screenshot_20211221-102903.jpg

Screenshot_20211221-102925.jpg

While recent evidence has certainly made clear that there are objects that appear to be physical that exhibit truly unexplained characteristics...
In my opinion this has not been 'made clear' at all. What does seem clear is that certain people are very poor at analysing the evidence, but those people are currently in the ascendant in certain US military circles. I would like to think that the new UAP investigation committee will liaise with people like Mick West when analysing these data, but I expect that matters of secrecy will probably prevent that.

To turn left you would need to steer right, and vice versa.
I rode a bicycle once, when I was on holiday somewhere, which had been modified so that the handlebars made the front wheel go the wrong way.
Really rather disconcerting at first, and then subsequently quite painful.

Hypothetical negative energy technology may be extremely unstable. If matter with negative inertia exists in any usable form, that would allow the construction of highly efficient propellant-less propulsion; however negative inertia would also require great care when steering the craft. In particular if you exert a force upon a mass with negative inertia, it moves towards you, rather than away from you. And if you pull it, the mass would move in the opposite direction. As you can imagine that makes course adjustments somewhat problematic.. To turn left you would need to steer right, and vice versa.

No wonder they crash.

Imagine if you could take say a Tesla, an Apache helicopter and a Bezos, Musk or Branson spaceship back in time a thousand or so years.
To our great, great x50 grandparents, they would appear miraculous, magical or possibly demonic.
Doesn't make them infallible though:
tesla.png
apache.png
musk.png

If UFOs are genuine structured high-tech vehicles (which I seriously doubt), they would certainly have performance characteristics well in excess of our present capabilities, but no technology can ever be 100% foolproof.

These are four high-resolution b&w images of the well-known debris photographs, which have been colourised as an experiment.

It will obviously never be entirely accurate.

Nonetheless, you can zoom in for significantly more detail and I was surprised how much colour definition was both retained and does actually help the overall clarity?

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_01.jpg

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_02.jpg

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_03.jpg

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_04.jpg

As long as Roswell has an UFO festival every July, no one will forget the Roswell UFO Crash.

In fact, the aliens might attend themselves to get at the food and candy trucks.

Wow, the color is great.

Jesse Marcel really looks like his look is saying we are not telling the truth to the public.
Delighted to hear it was a worthwhile exercise!

Even from a brief look at these colourised images, I can clearly see more details than before and have picked out a few to have a much closer look at.

It's all new and experimental and I am checking if by changing the contrast on our original images, any improvements are possible.

I am also, of course, now having a think about trying to decipher the infamous Ramey telegram he is holding.

Is there still a $10,000 reward for this. :p

I do see what you mean about Jesse Marcel's expression. That he looked 'uncomfortable'... dare I suggest... was the one thing which stood out when the full colour transition first appeared

Jesse Marcel really looks like his look is saying we are not telling the truth to the public.

His big eye stare really tells this.
With only some slight editing for contrast... I am beginning to realise this endeavour is becoming more than just a 'fun exercise'....

Did you mean something like...

"So... you want me to hold this up for a photograph...".

Screenshot_20220117-215959.jpg

"There's no mistake about this...".

Screenshot_20220117-215846.jpg

It almost comes to life.... o_O

Excuse me if anyone else has mentioned this, but Calvin Parker (of Pascagoula Mississippi UFO fame) visited Jesse Marcel when Marcel was quite ill towards the end of his life. Parker claims that Marcel told him that he hid 3 pieces of crash debris in his hot water heater - all that had to be done was to unscrew a piece of the heater to reveal the debris.
On the tv show that I saw recently on the History channel I think it was, Marcel had an unexpected guest and Parker said he had to leave. Marcel died shortly after, but on the show the investigators traveled to the Marcel house which is still there. The new owners wouldn't allow their admittance.
And here's some news from a man who was there at the time:

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.co...oswell-incident-recalled-2007sep30-story.html

Decorated military doctor son, Jesse Marcel, Jr., never changed his story about Roswell or his father’s story until the day he died.

And how about W. Glen Davis, the undertaker in Roswell, who claimed he supplied the small caskets for the dead aliens, one has to think a professional wouldn't make up a story like that:

Wow, the color is great.

His big eye stare really tells this.
It is a picture of a man with a face that has been colourised. Nothing more, nothing less. You’re putting your thoughts into his head. He could equally be thinking ‘Right now, I could do with a beer.’

These are four high-resolution b&w images of the well-known debris photographs, which have been colourised as an experiment.
It will obviously never be entirely accurate.

One obvious colorization error ... In July 1974 Marcel (et al.) were members of the US Army Air Forces (USAAF), and wore Army uniforms (tan / khaki with green jackets). The USAF didn't become a separate service until September 1947, and the blue motif for USAF uniforms wasn't implemented until 1949.

One obvious colorization error ...
Have to be honest, I would never have know!

Some further experimentation reveals limitations and suggests the colourisation algorithm maybe has a 'best guess?. Converting 'old school cool' b&w celebrity photos can produce stunning results - are the clothes colours exactly correct though? I doubt it and a b&w photo of various fruit in a bowl is hit and miss.

it's useful for giving an idea of the, dare I say, literally true picture.

On which, I was wondering what this artefact might be from our Roswell images, if in fact associated.

Screenshot_20220118-050158~2.jpg

Which brings us back to a central question.

Is the 'cover up' contention that this debris is not what Msc Brazel found about three weeks previously, on 14 June and apparently bundled some of it up, tied iit together and put same under a bush?

I can't see anything inconsistent with exactly what he described finding,

... On which, I was wondering what this artefact might be from our Roswell images, if in fact associated. ...

It wouldn't surprise me to learn it was one or two neckties taken off and set aside, but I don't think that's likely.

If you look at the debris arrayed on the floor in front of Marcel there's a sheet of paper(?) on which the mess is lying. The mystery ribbon / cord / whatever might be the thing that held that paper(?) wrapped around the debris. If nothing else, it would have been a convenient way to bundle the long rigid pieces together.

There's also what appears to be a mass of black plastic (which I suspect is packing material) and an empty paper bag beside / behind Marcel.

Some further experimentation reveals limitations and suggests the colourisation algorithm maybe has a 'best guess?. Converting 'old school cool' b&w celebrity photos can produce stunning results - are the clothes colours exactly correct though? I doubt it and a b&w photo of various fruit in a bowl is hit and miss.

"Guess" is the key term here ... There's no way to retrieve color (hue) data from a monochrome image. Guesswork has to rely on (e.g.) assigning colors to objects of known coloring and / or possible clues from reflectance / apparent tone.

Well comfortably numb,

Wow, $10,000 for deciphering the Ramey Memo.

Is that for real or a joke ?
Reported for real a few years ago, no idea about now!

I had a go at deciphering this many years back and if I recall correctly, wss doing quite well. Damned if I can find it in my archives.

However, I did coincidentally come across something of interest I had posted long ago and am not sure if it ever came to anything.

Apparently Sheriff Wilcox spoke to a reporter from the London 'Daily Mail' and possibly two other London based newspapers.

Should this evidence exist, it would certainly be interesting to see. Had a search earlier and I can't locate any online 'Daily Mail' newspaper archives for that era..

Is it worth following up..? Yes, I think so and shall have a try.

There's also what appears to be a mass of black plastic (which I suspect is packing material) and an empty paper bag beside / behind Marcel.
This is exactly what I was wondering about... couldn't possibly be what Brazel used to tie-up the bundle of debris pieces he had collected?

Likewise, I first thought it was a tie, however looks far too long.

There's no way to retrieve color (hue) data from a monochrome image.
Thank you for confirming my conclusions.

It seemed that was almost certainly the case when I converted a b&w image of a strawberry and it didn't turn out!

All beginning to make sense now andI nonetheless still fascinated at how seemingly successful the colourisation can be.

These are the final two debris images, again high-resolution and colourised:

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_05.jpg

www.forteanmedia.com/Roswell_Debris_06.jpg

Hope everyone else also finds the colour separation to be meaningfully helpful, when zooming into the closer details.

Hope everyone else also finds the colour separation to be meaningfully helpful, when zooming into the closer details.

I do think it helps to discriminate among features and textures, as long as one bears in mind it's necessarily a "false coloring." It can be helpful in teasing out details, but I suppose it could just as easily mask key distinctions.

And how about W. Glen Davis, the undertaker in Roswell, who claimed he supplied the small caskets for the dead aliens, one has to think a professional wouldn't make up a story like that:

And that pretty well proves that the whole episode was a secret project crash covered up by some clever disinformation! So if you want to keep secret some bodies of dead aliens you call the undertaker for child sized coffins, rather than using adult sized ones (wouldn't the small bodies fit inside large ones?) or crates (which do figure in some disinformation when the "accidental disclosure" technique is employed). This was one really big mistake. Then at one point they realised that large quantities of strange foil didn't really match one's ideas about alien space craft so they then invented a second crash site discovered by mysterious archeologists or something. It seems to me that in this case the alien idea was a sudden inspiration rather than a carefully planned cover story, but they have continued to use it on many other occasions.

Can it really be possible that all of them are lying or making up stories - Kenneth Arnold, Betty & Barney Hill, Jesse Marcel, Mack Brazel, Calvin Parker & Charles Hickson, the list goes on and on. I guess after seeing one of these 'vehicles', you realize that something or someone else is sharing this universe with us.
It can take one of our vehicles almost a year to travel to the planet Mars, but the 'machine' I saw could get there in absolutely no time, so I have a problem with them saying these ufo's are nothing more than experimental technology of ours.

Can it really be possible that all of them are lying or making up stories - Kenneth Arnold, Betty & Barney Hill, Jesse Marcel, Mack Brazel, Calvin Parker & Charles Hickson, the list goes on and on. I guess after seeing one of these 'vehicles', you realize that something or someone else is sharing this universe with us. ...

The only two people you listed who were involved with the Roswell incident were Marcel and Brazel. Neither of them claimed to have seen any UFO in the summer of 1947. The only thing either of them ever saw that summer was the debris.

Can it really be possible that all of them are lying or making up stories - Kenneth Arnold, Betty & Barney Hill, Jesse Marcel, Mack Brazel, Calvin Parker & Charles Hickson, the list goes on and on. I guess after seeing one of these 'vehicles', you realize that something or someone else is sharing this universe with us.
It can take one of our vehicles almost a year to travel to the planet Mars, but the 'machine' I saw could get there in absolutely no time, so I have a problem with them saying these ufo's are nothing more than experimental technology of ours.
Even if you saw a craft that defies a terrestrial explanation, though, that doesn't mean that any particular account must be assumed to be extraterrestrial. I honestly have very little time for Roswell these days. I'm extremely sceptical of the extraterrestrial hypothesis for UFOs, but if I were to look for evidence, Roswell is not where I'd look.

As for your point about the time our spacecraft take to travel through space versus the capabilities described in UFO sightings, that's a point that deserves discussion. It's worth recognising a distinction between air travel and space travel. Jets, ramjets and scramjets, for example, would be useless removed from the oxygen in our atmosphere. As we don't know what propels UFOs, we can't say how much use they'd be for space travel. If they rely on the atmosphere, the Earth's magnetic field or some kind of anti-gravity that reacts proportionately to the gravity of Earth, such vessels would soon run out of steam on their way to Mars. That's without considering what technical problems might exist restricting the combining of the UFOs' propulsion systems with those necessary for travelling through space, a venture which has a whole different set of problems.

The point is, we could have experimental and potentially still flawed aircraft propulsion that would be useless for space travel.

The point is, we could have experimental and potentially still flawed aircraft propulsion that would be useless for space travel.
The point is, the 'vehicle' that I witnessed (with 3 other people) jumped around the sky, hovered noiselessly, no smoke, no obvious propulsion, then took off to the other side of the planet at a phenomonal speed. Now if we had technology anywhere near that, I'm sure we would have a completely different method of air travel.
Guess you had to be there to see what I mean. I recall watching an airplane travelling noisily and smokily through the air the next day, and I thought 'good grief, what an antique'! LOL!

Back