• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
gncxx said:
Simon Amstell is great on that show.
Yes, he's charming, young, intelligent and witty.

Since I am none of those things, I ought to hate him!

But I don't... 8)

On the latest HIGNFY, Jo Brand pointed out that she is not related to Russell Brand...

.."although I have shagged his grandfather" !

:D :D :D

Obviously its been blown out of proportion but I'm hoping that it might reduce some of the puerile, sexist, schoolboy sneering we have to put up with as 'comedy' on TV and radio. Both Brand and Ross can be very funny but they took it too far this time by picking on, as it were, civilians.

And I don't care what the woman does for a living, no one deserves to have their private life made public. A gentleman (or a lady) doesn't kiss and tell.

I do'nt like to judge her based on her profession either, but whereas he merely mentioned that they'd done the deed, she was the one who sold every detail of their encounter to the tabloids. If there's one winner in this situation, it's fairly clear who she is...

What ever the two young trollops, or the creepy middle-aged voyeur, got up to, it was Andrew Sachs who got the bullying, taunting, phonecalls, on his answer machine.

Like this incident and Jeremy Clarkson's nasty, Home Counties, Sunday afternoon in the pub, killer lorry driver, jokes, that just isn't what the BBC should be doing, in return for the licence fee.

Or, that prannet, Jeremy Paxman, asking, Bow born, Cockney, Dizzee Rascal, if he felt, 'British.' Tosser!

It shouldn't be employing Chris Moyles, either, for that matter. But, that's in general. Steve Wright, in the Afternoon, used to be bad enough.

There's far too much of this macho, laddish-boy's club, crap! Verging on thuggery, mutual-tuggery and buggery. :evil:

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah! Tear it up!
I've got news for Fern Britton. She's NOT sexy - she's just a grotesque coquette.
And as for that Ainsley Harriott....

jimv1 said:
..I've got news for Fern Britton. She's NOT sexy - she's just a grotesque coquette.
Varlet! You dare to come on here and diss Fern Britton? I shall have to ask you to step outside!
...And as for that Ainsley Harriott....
Oh, he's an utter twot. And after ten seconds of looking at that smirking berk Eamonn Holmes I feel moved to hit him around the head with a shovel.

Mama_Kitty said:
I do'nt like to judge her based on her profession either, but whereas he merely mentioned that they'd done the deed, she was the one who sold every detail of their encounter to the tabloids. If there's one winner in this situation, it's fairly clear who she is...

Kitty, I must confess that at first I thought you were being a bit hard on Georgina Baillie.

But then, since I noticed that this week she's on the cover of Zoo magazine with her norks out, I'm starting to think you may have a point.

Excellent overview of this on Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe last night. He made two good points, one that newspapers are suffering dwindling circulation and have to rely on rabble rousing opinion pieces and campaigns to sell their editions, so seeing as how everyone watches TV or listens to the radio slating them to rile up their readers can be very profitable.

Two, that viewers (and listeners) are so used to reality TV where they can directly influence the outcome that they were in effect voting Ross and Brand off their programmes.

I think it's repeated, BBC Four if you missed it. Also worth seeing for Brooker's demolition of Paul Ross's Black Book of Horror, an unbelievably banal supernatural show on the Paranormal Channel.

Looking at BBC podcasts a few minutes ago -

Jonathan Ross Podcast BBC Radio 2
Programme Highlights
Typical Duration: 40 Mins.
Latest Episode: none
Available to all listeners

'Latest Episode: none'

:lol:

escargot1 said:
Looking at BBC podcasts a few minutes ago -

Jonathan Ross Podcast BBC Radio 2
Programme Highlights
Typical Duration: 40 Mins.
Latest Episode: none
Available to all listeners

'Latest Episode: none'

:lol:

They should put Danny Baker on the Ross podcast instead, he was terrific last weekend.

Jonathan Ross loses 540,000 listeners from his Radio 2 show in a year
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:19 AM on 07th August 2009

Listeners are deserting Jonathan Ross's Radio 2 show in droves following the Andrew Sachs phone scandal.
The controversial presenter has seen ratings for his Saturday morning show slump in the past three months.
The presenter's average weekly audience between March and June has been 2.85million.

That is 180,000 below the average of 3.03million for the first three months of this year, and 540,000 down on the 3.39million from the first quarter of 2008.
Ross's falling audience figures come at a time when radio listening as a whole has hit an all time high, with middle-class favourites Radio 3 and Radio 4 enjoying a boom.

etc...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -year.html

:twisted:

Could it possibly be because his show is no longer live? I like JR and his humour but having a pre recorded show kinda takes the fun out of it.

rynner2 said:
Jonathan Ross loses 540,000 listeners from his Radio 2 show in a year
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 9:19 AM on 07th August 2009

Listeners are deserting Jonathan Ross's Radio 2 show in droves following the Andrew Sachs phone scandal.
The controversial presenter has seen ratings for his Saturday morning show slump in the past three months.
The presenter's average weekly audience between March and June has been 2.85million.

That is 180,000 below the average of 3.03million for the first three months of this year, and 540,000 down on the 3.39million from the first quarter of 2008.
Ross's falling audience figures come at a time when radio listening as a whole has hit an all time high, with middle-class favourites Radio 3 and Radio 4 enjoying a boom.

etc...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... -year.html

:twisted:
Good. What a smug chugging turd. :)

I used to listen to JR, but got tired of his producer forever butting in and the same records over and over again. Now I have seen the light, and listen to Adam and Joe on 6 Music, or I would if they weren't on holiday for the summer. Danny Wallace is a decent enough replacement till they're back (especially the obscure book review bit).

Danny Wallace is a smug, worthless tw*t who I would gladly kick to death in front of his own family.

Edited for spellign

I don't think cold-blooded murder is the answer as long as there's an "off" switch.

Russell Brand is a preposterous posturing pretentious popinjay whose popularity is a total and utter mystery to me. Also, he looks like a down and out who was rejected from 1980s one-hit wonders Dr and the Medics, only with Bugs Bunny's front teeth and the mad staring eyes of a Victorian rocking-horse.

There, I said it.

However, he is hard to avoid in the news at the moment, seeing as second-rate comedians seem to have become intellectual figureheads and oracles of popular wisdom for some reason, and so he gets his own thread. Your thoughts, aye or agin, please.

I'm glad it's not just me. The extent of fawning over Brand's inane ramblings leaves me very puzzled.

Brand is one step away from turning into David Shayler.

Everything's just a laugh to him. He's got so much money (though quite how is a mystery to me) that he never has to really worry about anything. Yet, the one thing he craves is attention, so he just latches on to the most recent zeitgeisty thing and self-publicises in that frame. At the moment it's "nasty bankers" and the poor, but when he tires of those things he'll move on to something else I'm sure.

The really worrying thing is that a large number of people cannot seem to see what is in front of their eyes and look upon him as some kind of visionary political thinker and saviour of mankind.

Complete tit if you ask me.

Also amazes me how people hold him up as some kind of visionary thinker.

That open letter hits the nail straight on the head.

I became suspicious of his motives when he began to urge people to refuse to vote. Does he really think the trough-feeders in Westminster care if they have a mandate? They don't. Once they are on the gravy train their only worry is getting the biggest spoon.

I became suspicious of his motives when he began to urge people to refuse to vote. Does he really think the trough-feeders in Westminster care if they have a mandate? They don't. Once they are on the gravy train their only worry is getting the biggest spoon.

I hate his "don't vote" schtick. Cynicism about politics, and the subsequent failure to participate in the political system by voting, help create the problems that Brand rails about.

Apart from anything else, voting does work. Love them or loathe them, both the SNP and UKIP show quite clearly that if enough people vote for an alternative then the mainstream parties either have to adapt their policies or find themselves supplanted by the upstarts. This is exactly how democracy should work.

As McAvennie says, it is really baffling how he is being presented as some sort of political visionary.

Ultra-Brandism: An Infantile Disorder.

Russell Brand: Hippies, clowns and technocrats
The effect of the Russell Brand interview highlights the fragility of bourgeois politics, writes Harley Filben

The last time Russell Brand barrelled onto the comment pages of the ‘quality press’, it was for leaving obscene voicemail messages for actor Andrew Sachs. It was a pretty typical bit of Brand attention-seeking, which ended up getting the comedian rather more attention than he probably wanted - provoking a rather silly, but ferocious moral panic, which cost him his job.

Few people, at that time, would have expected - at least one tiresome celeb marriage and endless gurning later - that he would now have provoked a round of establishment soul-searching, less still through his wits rather than his impulsive tendencies, and least of all through a call in respectable bourgeois media outlets for revolution.

If anyone is guilty of a publicity stunt in this whole affair, after all, it is The New Statesman, along with The Guardian the staple product of establishment leftism, which - in what shouldhave been a cringe-inducing ‘down with the kids’ gesture - handed itself over to Brand for one issue. In retrospect, it seems rather to have been a masterstroke. For Brand seized the opportunity to theme the issue around ‘revolution’. ...

http://weeklyworker.co.uk/worker/986/russell-brand-hippies-clowns-and-technocrats/

Last edited:
Back