Is Sunday The Dullest Day Of The Week?

Is Sunday the dullest day of the week?

• Yes, Sunday is the dullest day of the week!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Nope it's just you!

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
Ah, Sunday! All the housework's done, so I can stay in bed late with the spouse and have a big breakfast, or get up early and go birdwatching, stopping off for breakfast tacos. Afternoons the gaming group comes over, and if I'm not DMing I have the time to make a really big dinner and people to appreciate it. Or we could go to a movie. Or a picnic. Nope, nothing dull about my Sunday, unless I'm sick. Sick days are all about as dull as each other.

Every day is what you make it. If your Sunday bores you, that's on you.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I hated Sundays as a child. I was sent to Sunday school to sack me off out of my parents' way. We kids weren't allowed to 'play out' even in the garden and had to wear our 'Sunday best'.

Nothing on TV, no toys allowed (too messy) and not even any reading allowed.
No food until after 1pm either, when the huge Sunday lunch was served, not even a slice of toast for breakfast - I was so hungry that I'd steal carrot peelings to eat.

If we'd been a religious family who devoted the day to Bible study it would've made sense but we weren't so it didn't. I understand now that it was my mother's attempt to impress our dourly pious neighbours.

I grew up with hatred and scorn for organised religion and all the hypocrisy associated with it, and can even be seen to scowl at the sound of church bells. :lol:

Sundays are mine now and I do what I want. 8)

Today I've walked my dogs, done minimal housework and made soup, cooked sausages for the dogs and read a nice book in the bath. Now I'm sitting in my bathrobe drinking hot chocolate, with Techy watching golf on t'box beside me. He's played golf himself today and I'm off to the gym later.

Then it'll be... I dunno, what do married people do on a Sunday afternoon? :D

Ginando

Ephemeral Spectre
escargot1 said:
I hated Sundays as a child. I was sent to Sunday school to sack me off out of my parents' way. We kids weren't allowed to 'play out' even in the garden and had to wear our 'Sunday best'.

Nothing on TV, no toys allowed (too messy) and not even any reading allowed.
No food until after 1pm either, when the huge Sunday lunch was served, not even a slice of toast for breakfast - I was so hungry that I'd steal carrot peelings to eat.

If we'd been a religious family who devoted the day to Bible study it would've made sense but we weren't so it didn't. I understand now that it was my mother's attempt to impress our dourly pious neighbours.

I grew up with hatred and scorn for organised religion and all the hypocrisy associated with it, and can even be seen to scowl at the sound of church bells. :lol:

Sundays are mine now and I do what I want. 8)

Today I've walked my dogs, done minimal housework and made soup, cooked sausages for the dogs and read a nice book in the bath. Now I'm sitting in my bathrobe drinking hot chocolate, with Techy watching golf on t'box beside me. He's played golf himself today and I'm off to the gym later.

Then it'll be... I dunno, what do married people do on a Sunday afternoon? :D
I'm beginning to wonder if we are or were neighbours, since in the village where I grew up, our Sunday was clearly the same as yours. I had to spend an hour at the Salvation Army hall (so at least it was a bit livelier). Although I have no memory of the incident, I apparently mortified my family one day, when the Captain asked his congregation for requests for 'choruses'. (for those unaware, the salvation army songs have some real rousing items, and the choruses were usually the sort of songs which kids enjoyed singing as there were hand actions, foot stamping etc) Unfortunately, on that day, I volunteered with a rousing rendition of 'McEwan's is the best buy, the best buy in beer'. :oops: My mother is still embarrased over 40 years on.

Now I think about it, I suppose it wasn't the worst experience.

river_styx

Justified & Ancient
PeniG said:
Every day is what you make it. If your Sunday bores you, that's on you.
Well I wasn't expecting such a scolding... :cry: :p

It's not that Sunday bores me, everything just seems a bit more subdued and even the weather throws the towel in usually.

But being unemployed at the moment I can have a lay in every day. I rule!

PeniG

Justified & Ancient
And I wasn't expecting you to feel scolded. I am sorry.

It's possible that the dullness you experience is a result of your specific circumstances. When I had the day job I would get a little frantic on Sunday, trying to do everything, and then after supper I'd go into an emotional slide because I was tired, but knew that if I went to bed, the next thing that would happen would be getting up and flying to Mars for another completely wasted day of existence at a job that had nothing whatever to do with life as I live it. Once I understood what was happening and why, I was able to manage the feeling.

If it makes you feel any better, the sensation is common enough that there's a song about it. Kris Kristofferson wrote it, but of course the big cover was by Johnny Cash:

Well I woke up Sunday morning,
With no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.
And the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad,
So I had one more for dessert.
Then I fumbled through my closet for my clothes,
And found my cleanest dirty shirt.
An' I shaved my face and combed my hair,
An' stumbled down the stairs to meet the day.

I'd smoked my brain the night before,
On cigarettes and songs I'd been pickin'.
But I lit my first and watched a small kid,
Cussin' at a can that he was kicking.
Then I crossed the empty street,
'n caught the Sunday smell of someone fryin' chicken.
And it took me back to somethin',
That I'd lost somehow, somewhere along the way.

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
Makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothin' short of dyin',
Half as lonesome as the sound,
On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
Sunday mornin' comin' down.

In the park I saw a daddy,
With a laughin' little girl who he was swingin'.
And I stopped beside a Sunday school,
And listened to the song they were singin'.
Then I headed back for home,
And somewhere far away a lonely bell was ringin'.
And it echoed through the canyons,
Like the disappearing dreams of yesterday.

On the Sunday morning sidewalk,
Wishing, Lord, that I was stoned.
'Cos there's something in a Sunday,
Makes a body feel alone.
And there's nothin' short of dyin',
Half as lonesome as the sound,
On the sleepin' city sidewalks:
Sunday mornin' comin' down.
The circumstance here appears to be that the singer has no personal life and feels it acutely on Sunday mornings, when there's no open bars to distract him and other people are doing things with their families; possibly he was also raised religious and has grown away from it, but misses the social elements. Or maybe it's just the hangover.

As I recall "I could never really get the hang of Thursday" was Marvin the Android's most-quoted line, which indicates that a lot of people may get your Sunday feeling on that day. Personally I'm much more likely to go with "Life! Don't talk to me about Life!"

beakboo

Abominable Snowman
The shops close at 4.00, so there's that problem. I'm stuck in the house with no chocolate today for example. :(
It's not the Long Dark Teatime of the Soul it was when I was a young'un though, I don't have to sit through The Onedin Line or anything horrific like that, chewing my nails down to the elbows thinking about school next day. :)
As for what married couples do on Sundays, this couple spend it apart, Sunday is band rehearsal day, always has been. I like to thank the universe I was born in this generation, not a previous generation who felt obliged to go to church and then cook a big old Sunday lunch. How tedious must that have been?

beakboo

Abominable Snowman
Isn't that weird? Peni and I both independently quoting Douglas Adams? :)

Stormkhan

Justified & Ancient
When I was a kid, my Sundays were filled with reading my books, playing in my room or out in the garden until Mum would serve up a heyuge Sunday roast. The I'd be reading etc. while the adults slept it off.

As an adult, I can watch what I want, do what I want and catch up on my computering ... 'till opening time at the pub. After a pint or two it's back home to do a bit of cooking and household chores.

As an adult, Sundays are what you make 'em. Let's face it, in the UK it's no longer the Christian "Everything is closed" routine in most places. Anyhow, even if they are closed, are shops the alternative to amusing onesself?

James_H

And I like to roam the land
I make relaxation into an art form on sundays. Today I woke up in a house full of old friends with dreadful hangovers, and didn't really do anything until we went to the pub to have an enormous sunday roast. Now I'm on a short break from drinking more wine. It all sounds very useless and pointless but I really like sundays. The sunday papers are another high point, and with the saturday guardian being the size it is, it practically makes saturday into another sunday. (There may be a reason why my life is so directionless, but I can't quite put my finger on it...)

ted_bloody_maul

Justified & Ancient
Sunday just reminds me of the horror of being an unemployed single male - rotten telly all day until the evening. Except with Sundays you get can get live football. What happens when it's Wigan V Bolton or Kilmarnock V Falkirk though?

The horror, the horror. :cry:

rynner2

Great Old One
In these parts, the Sunday (and Bank Holiday) bus services are very restricted. There are places that I just can't get to on Sundays.

It means a walk to catch some of the few buses available. OK if it's fine, but a pain if it's not.

And the pub doesn't have Happy Hour on Sunday! :evil:

_Lizard23_

Justified & Ancient
As others have said, for me as a child Sundays were dominated by the total closure of everything and a vague exhortation to be somehow more than usually well behaved, even though we weren't a churchy family. There was a sort of unearthly calm over everything that was not only deeply boring but also threatened to end all too soon in a new school week.

All in all it felt a bit like sitting in a disused railway station waiting to die.

When I was working it was just 'hangover day' usually - time to get over a couple of nights of expensive fun with a long soak in the bath and a good hot meal and wonder gloomily quite what the point of the whole thing was.

At the moment I barely notice Sundays, except that there are even more CSIs than usual and I'm never quite sure when the news is on .... well that and I'm counting the weeks until I get away again and every Sunday is another one successfully dispatched. In fact it's rather a nice day as I usually go and have 'Sunday lunch' in the pub around 3. And at least you're not buggered if you run out of milk or fags or something these days.

Sunday in Dublin isn't so boring. Everythings open, Museum, Art Galleries, pubs, shops. Often go to cinema in afternoon.

Theres always the Devils work to be done on Sundays.

Ramon
Opus Diabolus. :twisted:

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
Sunday's generally OK for me these days - it's about the only day of the week when we're all together as a family for more than twenty minutes - but as a few others have said when I was a child it was fairly drab. Boring church service, the highlight of lunch, the ennui-packed drizzly afternoon, aforementioned Long Dark Teatime, the smell of acrylic school-jumpers being ironed, clumpy shoes being polished and from another room the theme to Black Beauty (I wasn't the one that watched it), which for me marked the official end of the weekend.

For some reason my memory is fixated with the impression that, apart from 1976, the entire 1970s was perpetually November.

Anyway, Mondays are hard going for me this year workwise, but the rest of the week is fairly peachy, so at least I get the difficult day out of the way first :).

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
"Oh dear! O dear, O dear, O dear!"
"I think I'll go to bed."
"You've only been up an hour!"

22nd April 1958

Sunday Afternoon at Home, Hancock's Half Hour.

Free to hear on this page:

http://www.otr.net/?p=hnck

Plenty more there to wile away a dull Sunday, or any other day. :D

Graylien

Justified and Ancient
Sunday was quite appalling when I was a kid. I had to do homework all morning and afternoon, then I was made to listen to Charlie Chester's Soapbox. Ugh! Then my mother would fall asleep all evening and I'd have to sit around being deadly quiet. Horrible times.

Sundays were always rubbish when I was on the dole, too. Why IS that? When you're unemployed, every day is a day off that you're too skint to enjoy, so it shouldn't really make any difference whether it's Sunday afternoon or Tuesday afternoon. It does, though.

Sundays seem a bit more benign now I'm working. All the same, the best Sundays I've had are when I've gone back into the office to catch up on stuff left over from the week before. How f***ed up is that?

Let's just abolish Sunday and go straight from Saturday to Monday. Maybe we could slip another day in between Wednesday and Thursday, and take that off instead.

stu neville

Commissioner.
Staff member
JamesWhitehead said:
Sunday Afternoon at Home, Hancock's Half Hour.
:D My dad used to have that on vinyl, with "The Wild Man of the Woods" on the flip-side. Marvellous.
JW said:
Free to hear on this page:

http://www.otr.net/?p=hnck

Plenty more there to wile away a dull Sunday, or any other day. :D
You just made my week! Thanks, James.

beakboo

Abominable Snowman
"With a box full of records and a bag full of post
It's Radio Soapbox with Charlie, your host!"
:twisted:
Sorry Graylien. I was similarly afflicted.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Argh! Wasn't it the afternoon of Sing Something Simple too?

I think we did that over in another thread quite recently! :cross eye

river_styx

Justified & Ancient
graylien said:
Let's just abolish Sunday and go straight from Saturday to Monday. Maybe we could slip another day in between Wednesday and Thursday, and take that off instead.

This has my vote. Thunesday it is!

Or Wedhursday...?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
graylien said:
Sunday was quite appalling when I was a kid. I had to do homework all morning and afternoon, then I was made to listen to Charlie Chester's Soapbox. Ugh!
Sunday radio wasn't too bad when I was a kid, because it meant the Top 40 was on, then after that Annie Nightingale's Request Show. Whither Night Owl from Croydon?