Is Sunday The Dullest Day Of The Week?

Is Sunday the dullest day of the week?

• Yes, Sunday is the dullest day of the week!

Votes: 12 50.0%
  • Nope it's just you!

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
The baffling boringness of Sundays is summed up for me by the taste of mint sauce. To me as a small child, it tasted like lumpy battery acid. Had to eat it, piles of it dumped over perfectly good roast lamb, as there'd be nothing else to eat all day if I didn't. :(

Even now, if I taste anything like it I'm back 40 years, dressed in my Sunday best with gloomy-sounding church bells in the background, staring at my plate in dismay. :lol:

Fluttermoth

Mrs Treguard
CarlosTheDJ said:
When I was a kid I hated Sundays...."another visit to a bloody garden centre".

Now it's "Ooooh a visit to a garden centre!"
Hah! That's happened to me too! I used to loathe being dragged round garden centres with my mum and grandparents; now I actually choose to walk the half mile to my local one some days :?

I like pottering round there looking at the plants (I use the tropical fish section as a convenient excuse for going ;) )
Is keeping fish really less sad than gardening? I don't know, but it feels like it to me!

Cultjunky

Justified & Ancient
Sundays were never dull for me as a child, the whole (extended) family round for lunch, two Aunts in pinnies arguing over when the Yorkshire puddings should go in the oven. A couple of Uncles coming back from the pub singing, as only drunk men can sing, nationalist songs. Small children bawling for lack of attention, then getting a slap for bawling, so they had something to bawl about. Wouldn't say it was fun, but definately not dull.

Nowadays, it's a lazy pub lunch, just as likely to be pasta as a pork joint, followed by a steady walk back home, to reply to a stack of emails from family that contain nothing more than a dodgy forward (you can only look at so many cute kittens befor you want to slap someone and give tham something to bawl about :twisted: ) that you got last week from some other member of the family.

Oh to be an orphan :?

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Sunday's a day for walking, reading, and (sometimes) recovering. The more time I have for the former two, the happier I become.

Thus, Sunday is A Good Thing.

edit: Oh, my Lord! My vote has balanced the debate on a knife-edge: it's 50/50 on whether Sunday is the dullest day. Which way will the judgement fall? I can't bear to watch! The tension: it's killing me!

rynner2

Great Old One
In my childhood, Sunday Lunch (with or without mint sauce) was the best part of the day.

Of course, back then, garden centres hadn't been invented.... ;)

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
rynner2 said:
In my childhood, Sunday Lunch (with or without mint sauce) was the best part of the day.
Me too!
I loved Sundays, with a roast and wonderful-tasting mint sauce I'd just made from mint grown in the back garden.
Until the age of 12, the only downside was being forced to attend Sunday school. I managed to stop going, which made Sundays more relaxing. I painted pictures and read a lot, and watched 'Out of Town'...aaah, them was the days. :D

marion

Ungnoing.
I always loathed Sundays as a kid, the windows steamed up from boiling cabbage, my mother shouting at everyone, everyone stuck together in a tiny council house including my stepfather who I hated, crap black and white films on TV, school the next day. Then we all had to share the weekly bath one after the other, often it was grey and tepid by the time I got it. I still don't like Sundays even though its me and my Sweetie's special day of the week together (plus the Coop in the village opens til 10 every night so I'm never without the chance to get chocolate), I'm too scarred by my childhood Sundays I think :-/

therealficolley

Junior Acolyte
I grew up in central Scotland and the swings in the local park were padlocked up on a Sunday to stop us miserable sinners having any fun. My mother spent the day in a foul mood doing laundry and housework so the atmosphere in the house was just vile. Reading this post has brought back that feeling of ennui and foreboding. These days I have a Sunday job at a local car dealership and take people out for test drives. Well...it's better than watching Antiques Roadshow.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Those chained-up swings! Aww, poor kids! :lol:
Not much worse than my own childhood Sundays, though. Just a whiff of mint sauce and I'm back there... :shock:

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
We had home-grown mint sauce too!

I always thought our family was special, but now I see we were cheap clones like everyone else... :(

Edit: Freshly-laid eggs from hens? You can't have all had those, surely?
Edit2: If you say you all made your own jams and ginger beer, I'll cry!

Timble2

Imaginary Person
Home made mint sauce here too...

No eggs or jam though, both grannies did their own pickles (onions, mixed pickle, picalilli), fierce and spicy nothing like the ones you get in the shops, oh and chutney....

Dr_Baltar

Left Foot of God
My granny's motto was, "If it moves, leave it alone. If it doesn't, make it into jam."

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
theyithian said:
We had home-grown mint sauce too!

I always thought our family was special, but now I see we were cheap clones like everyone else... :(

Edit: Freshly-laid eggs from hens? You can't have all had those, surely?
Edit2: If you say you all made your own jams and ginger beer, I'll cry!
Well, my family didn't have hens, but I did help my Mum make jam and ginger beer.
I made my own pickled onions too, better than anything you can buy.
Cakes, wine, butter, sloe gin, elderflower wine, yadda yadda.

I don't do any of that stuff now...no time.

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
My mother had a go at making ginger beer when I was a child.
We had kilner jars and bottles of it in the shed, and I remember it exploding!

rynner2

Great Old One
Today's been very dull. (I won't go onto why.)

Tonight's no better - nothing on iPlayer I want to watch, so I thought I'd find some radio comedy instead. But apparently tonight I have 'insufficient bandwidth' to stream even a radio programme! :evil:

I've only had one conversation all day, with a neighbour here. She was telling me about her cataract and bad leg, and I told her about my deaf ear and bad knees...

FFS! Don't ever grow old - kill yourselves now! :twisted:

Recycled1

Justified & Ancient
Oh Rynner, you poor old thing!
Get yourself on Facebook, and I'll play scrabble with you, and you can grumble to me at the same time!
I haven't had any live conversaions today, either, but I've just been chatting to a nice Londoner while he proceded to beat me at scrabble!

47Forteans

Justified & Ancient
I always hated Sundays as a kid - it meant having to do homework, and only one more day off from school left (I loathed school, I wasn't too popular, and not very bright...) - and it meant I couldn't sleep in, as we had to go to morning mass. Mind you, that seemed to fade away as I got older...

Kondoru

Antediluvian
A `Roast` Dinner.

With real hot mustard!

And an afternoon trip out!

These days the trip comes first and I have a roast dinner at my Dads...

Novena

Offanonagin
For me, the theme tune to The Antiques Road Show is the Sundays of my childhood. I just have to hear it and it all comes flooding back - Archers (followed by Gardeners' Question Time!) on the radio while my mum prepared a roast lunch with a nice pudding, family visits and then board games into the evening.

Nowadays Sundays are just a bit... meh... :(

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
I just rescued this thread from oblivion because it has clocked up so many views!

Maybe somewhere, on a dull Sunday soon, there are folks that will need it . . .

DrWhiteface

Ephemeral Spectre
I hated Sundays as a kid, Church either first thing in the morning or the evening mass, and there was a fire station next to the church - whenever the fire truck went out, sirens screaming, one priest (who gave short sermons, everyone out ten minutes early! :yeay: ) would wait for the noise to subside, the other priest (long sermons, everyone in church for an extra fifteen minutes :stfu: ) would raise his voice to be heard over the noise), then home for roast lunch - often in silence, because we had little to talk about that hadn't already been said. Dreading school the next day, homework piled up -urgh!

Sundays? You can keep 'em!