• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is the Queen a Caliph?

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
From last Fridays Economist:-

Muslims consider Queen Elizabeth’s ties to the Prophet Muhammad
Reaction to the queen’s purported Muslim extraction has been varied in the Arab world

Apr 5th 2018

QUEEN ELIZABETH must claim her right to rule Muslims.” So ran a recent headline on the Arab Atheist Network, a web forum. It was only partly in jest. According to reports from Casablanca to Karachi, the British monarch is descended from the Prophet Muhammad, making her a cousin of the kings of Morocco and Jordan, not to mention of Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, Iran’s Supreme Leader.

The claim, first made many years ago, is gathering renewed interest in the Middle East. Why is not clear, but in March a Moroccan newspaper called Al-Ousboue traced the queen’s lineage back 43 generations. Her bloodline runs through the Earl of Cambridge, in the 14th century, across medieval Muslim Spain, to Fatima, the Prophet’s daughter. Her link to Muhammad has previously been verified by Ali Gomaa, the former grand mufti of Egypt, and Burke’s Peerage, a British authority on royal pedigrees.

Much hinges on a Muslim princess called Zaida, who fled a Berber assault on her home town of Seville in the 11th century and wound up in the Christian court of Alfonso VI of Castille. She changed her name to Isabella, converted to Christianity and bore Alfonso a son, Sancho, one of whose descendants later married the Earl of Cambridge. But Zaida’s own origins are debatable. Some make her the daughter of Muatamid bin Abbad, a wine-drinking caliph descended from the Prophet. Others say she married into his family.

Reaction to the queen’s purported Muslim extraction has been varied in the Arab world. Some have warned of a perfidious plot to revive the British empire with help from Muslims, particularly Shias, who revere the Prophet’s descendants. They note that the BBC’s Arabic channel ran the bloodline story. But others welcome the news. “It builds a bridge between our two religions and kingdoms,” says Abdelhamid Al-Aouni, who wrote the article in Al-Ousboue. Other reports have called the queen sayyida or sherifa, titles reserved for the Prophet’s descendants.

Her son, Prince Charles (bin Philip), is intrigued by Islam. “Perhaps there were times when he wanted to marry more than one wife,” says one of his Muslim confidants. Charles is a patron of the Oxford Centre for Islamic Studies, where he greets audiences with the Muslim salutation, as-salamu alaykum (peace be upon you). He is said to want a multi-faith coronation and to be ordained as “defender of faith”, not “the [Christian] faith”. He might try amir al-mumineen (commander of the faithful), an honorific favoured by Muslim rulers.

This article appeared in the Middle East and Africa section of the print edition under the headline "Is the caliph a queen?"

Source: https://www.economist.com/news/midd...ported-muslim-extraction-has-been-varied-arab

Oh dear.
There will now be rumours that Charlie is the Antichrist.

Isn't the British royal family supposed to be of German descent?

Late additions. The sovereign does not take the name of a mere husband. The Hanoverians have ruled in an unbroken line since 1 August 1714. This Bosche blight must be driven from these Fair Isles.

A house is not a [sur]name.

But surely queen Victoria should not have adopted the House Name of her Consort. He should have adopted hers.

She didn't. She died a Hanoverian--the last to rule Great Britain. Her children took Albert's house's name--most importantly Albert Edward, who would later succeed his mother as Edward VIII.

Even Albert wasn't born into the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, because when he was born it was Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (as was Victoria's mother--Victoria and Albert were first cousins). I can't recall when the house acquired new domain, but it was almost certainly a result of death and inheritance.

Edit: Caveat: I studied Victorian culture/literature--not history--a number of years ago.

Last edited:
She didn't. She died a Hanoverian--the last to rule Great Britain. Her children took Albert's house's name--most importantly Albert Edward, who would later succeed his mother as Edward VIII.

Even Albert wasn't born into the house of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, because when he was born it was Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld (as was Victoria's mother--Victoria and Albert were first cousins). I can't recall when the house acquired new domain, but it was almost certainly a result of death and inheritance.

Edit: Caveat: I studied Victorian culture/literature--not history--a number of years ago.

You're just posting this in the hope of getting an M.B.E.!

I initially wondered where the Economist piece was a late April fool. But no. It’s just the latest in a long line of “Britain was always multicultural / Islam has always been here / Leonardo was dyslexic” Fake News stories. See also the debunked claim about Viking cloth with “Allah” stitched into it and the BBC showing a cartoon of a mixed race “typical family in Roman Britain”. Trying to impose contemporary fads into the past.

Someone in the Mail (yes) was claiming that Stonehenge predates humanity. What is it with people? It isn't even silly season.

Someone in the Mail (yes) was claiming that Stonehenge predates humanity. What is it with people? It isn't even silly season.
So...are they saying it's a natural phenomenon? Or built by animals?

So...are they saying it's a natural phenomenon? Or built by animals?

Screen Shot 2018-04-10 at 02.23.22.png

Last edited:
I initially wondered where the Economist piece was a late April fool. But no. It’s just the latest in a long line of “Britain was always multicultural / Islam has always been here / Leonardo was dyslexic” Fake News stories. See also the debunked claim about Viking cloth with “Allah” stitched into it and the BBC showing a cartoon of a mixed race “typical family in Roman Britain”. Trying to impose contemporary fads into the past.

It does look as if Leonardo was Bi though. As was King Billy. He liked to play The Auld Orange Flute.:fetish:

....and there were certainly African legionaries in Britain during the Roman occupation...presumably they also had families. Heaven forfend, some of them may even have been mixed race families
Anyway, this notion of racial purity, of whiteness/brownness etc is a stupid modern preoccupation.

....and there were certainly African legionaries in Britain during the Roman occupation...presumably they also had families. Heaven forfend, some of them may even have been mixed race families
Anyway, this notion of racial purity, of whiteness/brownness etc is a stupid modern preoccupation.

All true. However, I struggle to believe that a black African centurion, white wife and mixed race kids would be a *typical* Roman British family. Especially as soldiers were forbidden from marrying for much of the period.

It’s the altering of history to suit modern obsessions that irritates.

All true. However, I struggle to believe that a black African centurion, white wife and mixed race kids would be a *typical* Roman British family. Especially as soldiers were forbidden from marrying for much of the period.

It’s the altering of history to suit modern obsessions that irritates.

Legionnaires did retire in Roman Britain and remain there. In the Roman Empire the colour of your skin didn't matter, your status as a citizen, solider or slave did.

You know, while I study (mainly British) history, it never occurs to me to wonder what colour the actors are . I guess a lot of Spaniards are at least part African because of the Moors.

While there may have been some hundreds of African males retiring to Britannia, they would be most unlikely to have brought families with them - more likely they would marry locals as did the Saxons and Vikings in the main.

Given we are talking 2000ish years ago that probably means that all British families who can trace their history back to the dark ages are a tiny bit African, but then we all apparently originated in Africa in the first place.

I personally don't think colour of skin is any more important than colour of hair, but that doesn't mean I think all cultures are of the same value.

Since the Queen is essentially German, she is if anything less likely than the rest of us to have had an African forebear since the birth of Christ, due to the fact that the Germans kept the Romans largely at bay.

You know, while I study (mainly British) history, it never occurs to me to wonder what colour the actors are . I guess a lot of Spaniards are at least part African because of the Moors.

While there may have been some hundreds of African males retiring to Britannia, they would be most unlikely to have brought families with them - more likely they would marry locals as did the Saxons and Vikings in the main.

Given we are talking 2000ish years ago that probably means that all British families who can trace their history back to the dark ages are a tiny bit African, but then we all apparently originated in Africa in the first place.

I personally don't think colour of skin is any more important than colour of hair, but that doesn't mean I think all cultures are of the same value.

Since the Queen is essentially German, she is if anything less likely than the rest of us to have had an African forebear since the birth of Christ, due to the fact that the Germans kept the Romans largely at bay.

Roman Legions were also present in Germany though. Occupied part of it.

Roman Legions were also present in Germany though. Occupied part of it.
Yes, sure. And the Germans killed a lot of them in Teutoberger Wald, whereupon the Romans retreated to the left bank of the Rhine and stayed there :)

Yes, sure. And the Germans killed a lot of them in Teutoberger Wald, whereupon the Romans retreated to the left bank of the Rhine and stayed there :)

Vindelicia was a Roman Province which was composed of Southern baden, Bavaria and Wurttemberg. Most of present day Austria was in the Roman Province of Noricum.

Agreed, but equally much of what is now Poland was German back then - of course there was no such thing as 'Germany' so 'populated by Germanic tribes' is what I mean. IIRC they were pushed west by the Mongols among others.

Back