• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is The Weather Changing?

It's quite nice and autumnal, I'm going to put on some socks and have hot chocolate. And if I really get into it, I might go trick-or-treating ;)

I've just got back in, and it's breezy, sunny and pleasant up here in Scotland, just like Spring. But being Scotland, it'll probably be raining cats and dogs by the afternoon.

Cider said:
I know that I'm going to get rotten tomatoes thrown at me for this comment, but I'm loving this weather. Not so much the winds and heavy rain of last night, but the low temperatures that mean that you can sleep easily and keep a long sleeved shirt on to keep off the sun without combusting.

Couldn't agree more :)

It's even been pleasant enough to sit outside in the sun: something I was hardly able to do at all last year!

RE:changing weather.

This is because the axis of the plannet has changed(the North pole is going down and the South pole is coming up)this is a fact and no one is awaire of it.
Bill.

A mini iceage would be nice.
The last one didn't get as far south as I am but there'd be just enough snow to keep me and the dog happy.

Just received this email...

"Subject:_______ Weather

Dear all,

With all the news on TV lately about the extreme weather conditions affecting the East Coast of the US, the mud slides in the Middle East and South America, along with the dire predictions made by such films as The Day After Tomorrow, we shouldn't forget that England has its share of devastating weather too._ I've attached a photo illustrating the damage caused to a friend's home from a storm that passed through Southern England last night. It really makes you cherish what you have, and reminds us not to take things for granted."

:D

mooks out

Expert warns of freezing winter ahead

One of the coldest winters in recent memory is about to hit Britain, according to the forecasters who correctly predicted this summer's washout.

Andrew Bond, the senior forecaster for the group, said: "From what we are predicting, Britain could see its coldest winter of the century so far.

But this lot say differently-

Daniel Adamson, senior meteorologist for the PA WeatherCentre, said: "We can't predict more than 10 days ahead with any accuracy, and there is nothing to suggest that it's going to be exceptionally cold at all."

All I know is, I have no heating installed in the house and haven't yet arranged for any. :eek:

Poor Hebden Bridge, hit by a third set of devastating floods in as many years. It proudly used to boast about being a town of independent shops, but I don't think many of them will be able to survive this. The whole Calder Valley has been hit hard, but Hebden is where we lived before Malaysia. Heartbreaking...

It's not just Hebden Bridge - weird weather is happening all over the world; see my recent posts on the - er - Weird Weather thread!

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/weird-weather.16462/page-53#post-1553900
Please, sir, I did use the search function, honest I did. :) It is true that other places are being hit, too, but I didn't spend the last nine years calling any of them home. (Another ninety years in Hebden and I might - might - have graduated from being an offcumden :D).

Glorious weather in our neck of the woods, Goulburn, New South Wales - day time temps of thirty degrees Celcius, bugger all humidity (seventeen percent), and night time temps of five degrees C. - you wouldn't be dead for quids.

Untitled_Panorama1_edited-2.jpg

I fear all talk of weird weather will soon become just 'weather'. Extreme and unseasonable is the new norm, it seems.

Off-topic, so sorry...
There are a couple of simulacra in that photo.
On top of the hill on the left, there's a shape that looks like a fox in side profile.
The big round bush or tree to the centre right seems to have a face on it - with a grumpy expression.

Note: Look at Mungoman's original post with the smaller picture.

Off-topic, so sorry...
There are a couple of simulacra in that photo.
On top of the hill on the left, there's a shape that looks like a fox in side profile.
The big round bush or tree to the centre right seems to have a face on it - with a grumpy expression.

Note: Look at Mungoman's original post with the smaller picture.

Well spotted Mytho. This is granite country of the Southern Tablelands, erupted approx 28,000,000 years ago. The interplay of light on rock will see your brain recognising all sorts of animals and faces. The Old Ones saw dreaming characters everywhere, and it seems so do we - we just haven't been introduced to them.

There is a cats head in the rounded bush towards the bottom, mouth agape and eyes wide enough to see the white of its eyes, if you enlargen it.

It is one of my many favourite spots on this planet of ours - also sapphire bearing, with many of the sapphires termed 'sunbakers', as they sit on top of the ground, due to erosion.

Great image. Looks very much like the east side of our Mt Lofty Ranges, particularly around Palmer and Tungkillo - Peramangk country. Tree dwellers. Dreaming sites galore. Atmosphere can be creepy and subjective with the right kind of silence. They're out there still.

On the issue at hand, I would be interested to quiz the weather bureau about a perceived increase in strong wind frequency around here. We have our heat waves, but these associated high northerlies are not usually as common. More like desert weather this year. Hard to say if the climate per se has shifted in Oz, as we have irregular seasonal cycles as it is - 3 years of dry, 5 of wet sort of thing.

Great image. Looks very much like the east side of our Mt Lofty Ranges, particularly around Palmer and Tungkillo - Peramangk country. Tree dwellers. Dreaming sites galore. Atmosphere can be creepy and subjective with the right kind of silence. They're out there still.

The last time i was in that neck of the woods Skinny, I was coming back from WA, by car. I detoured off around Snowtown and went through that area, east side of the Loftys, all the while enjoying the scenery, paddocks full of green feed, then travelled through Tanunda, I think. I've never seen the country look so well - even the Nullabor was green.

Now that you mention it, it was rather atmospherical in spots, especially driving through the ranges - deep gullies, steep sided, with chattering creeks tumbling along, telling their story to the land as they searched
out the way to their big gig in the sky.

026.jpg

The Nullabor, looking inland

017.jpg

The Loftys, off in the distance

016.jpg

North of Port Aguta

On the issue at hand, I would be interested to quiz the weather bureau about a perceived increase in strong wind frequency around here. We have our heat waves, but these associated high northerlies are not usually as common. More like desert weather this year. Hard to say if the climate per se has shifted in Oz, as we have irregular seasonal cycles as it is - 3 years of dry, 5 of wet sort of thing.

As far as I can remember, the prevailing winds in Winter were the dreaded gully winds, blowing west to east, which could push your Bike off onto the wrong side of the road, and in summer those damned Northerlies burnt you to a crisp if travelling up to the head of the gulf - at the time, I rode a Mach 3 kwaka (two stroke) and carried three sets of spark plugs, each a different heat range - nevertheless - the ride home was much anticipated.

I agree with you Skinny, that the weather has become irregular - it used to be dry summer and winter, with rains in spring and autumn, but as you've noted there does seem to be that inconsistency - longer periods of specific climate - whereas before Adelaide was more noted for its mediterranean climate.

what are the trees @MungomanII ?

The trees in the photo would be Weeping and Crack Willow down on the creek line, one of the Casaurina family in the erosion gully to the left of the picture, Scribbly Gum and Snow gum (both white smooth barked gums) on the ridges and in the granite fields. Red Stringy Bark, also on the ridges, Candle Gum, possibly Yellowbark and boxwoods on the flats, Blakeys Red Gum down on the alluvial flats, and possibly exotic trees planted as windbreaks.

There are the occasional 'bird shit trees' which escape from residential gardens, by way of the Currawong birds, and lots of dead trees on the ridges which either died from the ten year drought which ended in 2010, or from the effects of mistletoe.

I can only make an educated guess Frideswide, at what the trees are, but it's based on the area, elevation and climate due to us having over 800 different species in the Myrtaceae family.

That's..... most impressive, thank you! :clap:

Extreme and unseasonable is the new norm, it seems

I wasn't going to discuss the subject on the forum, but reality forces me to re-ignite this topic.

The weather. Specifically (for me, at least) in the British Isles, and particularly Scotland & the north of England.

It is appallingly wet all the time....and no-one seems to comment about it offline.

Almost every day, at present, I am travelling round trips of between 100 and 200 miles a day. And on nearly every occasion, the weather is in the category of being consistently, repeatedly, as bad as I can ever remember (other than, importantly, wind speeds).

This is not some invalid misperception, I'm telling the truth. Nearly every day, I see flooding on primary roads and massive amounts of surface water, even on brand-new motorways.

Whilst global warming (irrespective of its true root cause) is likely to be the primary reason for this, I feel I need to understand why, for example right now in December at 55-56deg north of the equator, in our polar maritime climate country, the amount of precipitation falling from the sky as rain is massive in comparison with what we would've suffered had it fallen say a decade ago as snow. It just almost never stops....and yes, I know on our island you're never more than 80 miles from the coast.

So: huge forest fires in California and Australia. And massive amounts of water falling from the skies, nearly constantly.

My unsurprising proposition is that the world's weather is (for some of us, at least) entirely broken. And for purposes of clarification: I consider this as a tangible threat for humanity to be equal to, or worse than, 'The Virus'.

Tell me I'm wrong: but make it convincing. Or I will just point out the window.....

(ps just to restate another somewhat Fortean aspect: we have as a society in the 'developed' west spent huge amounts of money & effort upon renewable energy sources, ie wind & solar, yet the prevailing conditions of overcast skies and ineffectual breezes render such approaches nearly useless....that's ironic. Or what is it?)

Last edited:
It is appalling wet all the time....and no-one seems to comment about it offline.

Same here in North Wales. A constant succession of gales and rain since August. But the UK's weather is particularly variable in that respect, so it would take several years of it to establish a trend.

I wasn't going to discuss the subject on the forum, but reality forces me to re-ignite this topic.

The weather. Specifically (for me, at least) in the British Isles, and particularly Scotland & the north of England.

It is appalling wet all the time....and no-one seems to comment about it offline.

Almost every day, at present, I am travelling round trips of between 100 and 200 miles a day. And on nearly every occasion, the weather is in the category of being consistently, repeatedly, as bad as I can ever remember (other than, importantly, wind speeds).

This is not some invalid misperception, I'm telling the truth. Nearly every day, I see flooding on primary roads and massive amounts of surface water, even on brand-new motorways.

Whilst global warming (irrespective of its true root cause) is likely to be the primary reason for this, I feel I need to understand why, for example right now in December at 55-56deg north of the equator, in our polar maritime climate country, the amount of precipitation falling from the sky as rain is massive in comparison with what we would've suffered had it fallen say a decade ago as snow. It just almost never stops....and yes, I know on our island you're never more than 80 miles from the coast.

So: huge forest fires in California and Australia. And massive amounts of water falling from the skies, nearly constantly.

My unsurprising proposition is that the world's weather is (for some of us, at least) entirely broken. And for purposes of clarification: I consider this as a tangible threat for humanity to be equal to, or worse than, 'The Virus'.

Tell me I'm wrong: but make it convincing. Or I will just point out the window.....

(ps just to restate another somewhat Fortean aspect: we have as a society in the 'developed' west spent huge amounts of money & effort upon renewable energy sources, ie wind & solar, yet the prevailing conditions of overcast skies and ineffectual breezes render such approaches nearly useless....that's ironic. Or what is it?)

Here’s the Met Office’s historic rain/sunshine data for Newton Rigg, Cumbria for the last sixty years. lf you can see a pattern in it, good luck to you.

l have seen nothing in weather data that hasn’t happened multiple times in the past, more quickly, and worse; and all without the possibility of human influence.

maximus otter

It is appallingly wet all the time....and no-one seems to comment about it offline.

Yep, here too in... whatever latitude the Zebra household sits here in Scotland... we have had nothing but rain lately, for as many weeks as I can remember. (Or as Mr Zebra puts it succinctly, "it's bloody raining again"). And the wind, we usually get wind around autumn/early winter time but even that seems worse this year.

I wouldn't mind so much if we got some thunder and lightning to go with the rain, but no, just annoying drizzly rain, day after day, and the ground is saturated.

But then again, it's like this every year, isn't it? I mean... we don't get a white christmas nowadays, we get a wet christmas (I've often postulated that Christmas should be moved to late Jan or Feb when there is at least a fighting chance of it being frosty, if not snowy).

I'm not convinced that this is anything other than natural cycles; yes it's different from what it was "back in the day" but that just might be how it is now.

Still annoying though. I was looking t'other day at somewhere we used to live, and the Street View pictures were obviously taken in either spring or summer; brilliant green grass, blue skies, dry streets. Lovely. It just made me more depressed; they should at least make sure their streetview changes with the seasons so we don't get depressed by how sunny everywhere else looks.

Here's my Tuppence worth on the subject.

Our weather on each continent and island comes from the sea - vast areas of ocean surrounds us, with sunlight shining down constantly somewhere.

Evaporation follows the sun, 24 hours a day adding more and more water vapour to our greenhouse gases.

Now, if the temperature of that ocean is 17 degrees, it takes more energy to evaporate a gramme of that precious fluid, At 20 degrees (68 °F) about 585 calories are required to vaporize one gram of water.

Meanwhile, the temperature of Equatorial seas sit at about 30 degrees, with the temperature in the Arabian gulf rising to 32 degrees in Summer.

In Australia, our 'Wet' season of our top end parallels the monsoons of Asia, which means that the climate over the Sub continent and other areas travels down to Australia - so if there is a dry monsoon above the Equator, it corresponds down here.

Now. Those equatorial waters gyre north, and south in surface currents, so the rain that you are copping is due to raised ocean temperatures elsewhere, and the intensity is also due to the ever raising temperatures of our oceans and seas. Which means that as the currents travel to the Poles, they are warming those limpid pools of indifference that sit aside of these wandering currents, making it easier for the Oceans and Seas to retain warmer waters further north and south...which will alter our climatic niches even further.

Attachments

• 59856224_2768435936501281_986330623822004224_n.jpg
    59856224_2768435936501281_986330623822004224_n.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 14
Me too, Maximus otter

Things changed recently, -for me.

I moved to Cornwall for a while; the climate is very different to Wiltshire.

People move around more often; maybe this is where our perception of climate change comes from??

Back