• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is There Anything You've Grown LESS Sceptical Of?

From the theories expressed by all the lovely, cuddly members on this here esteemed forum I've began to believe in the idea that a lot of Fortean phenomena derive from the same source but manifest in different ways depending on the person witnessing it.

I'm also leaning more to the idea that these phenomena are not in an alternate universe/parallel dimension but exist alongside us on some sort of other frequency. We exist in each others gaps in between.

Interdimensional beings - appearing as ghosts, shadow persons and perhaps even creatures in this world/dimension.
Why these beings end up mimicking diseased people, is anyones guess. There are enough witnesses and footage to prove they exist, even if 95% of it has been faked. I don't believe it all is faked.

This is why I still am an atheist. I don't believe the religious take on these phenomena.

I want to believe in some of these phenomena, but evidence for it will probably not appear in the near future.
What if time is not linear but a spiral? And just like an LP you could get a scratch that crosses a couple of grooves?

As a few people have pointed out, you tend to be a lot less sceptical about things you've experienced yourself.

Luckily there is one experiment that almost anyone can do that should convince you of the reality of at least one psychical phenomenon - dream precognition.

The key to documenting it is the traditional dream diary. Keep a notebook and pen by the bed. As soon as you wake up, scribble down as much detail as you can remember from your dreams. Sketch anything that seemed visually interesting.

I tried it for a while. I soon got good at picking up what was a rehashed memory of the events of the preceding days. But another thing that soon becomes obvious is that some of the details are 'memories' of things that are going to happen over the next few days. It's all very trivial stuff, exactly as distorted and fragmentary as the past memories are, but after a few dozen hits you soon become convinced that it's really happening.

Don't expect to dream the names of winning horses or the lottery numbers! You're more likely to get a particular streetscape that you're about to visit, or an unusual piece of furniture in a house you haven't visited before, or maybe sentences from a conversation.

But yes, to answer the original question - is there anything I'm less sceptical of? Definitely. Dream precognition.

You'll only convince yourself if you try it.
Sorry Salmonellus - but precognitive dreaming (most apparent cases of it anyway) is just another item which has entered the rogues gallery of things which I have grown sceptical of. (I have tried to explain my reasons why before on some other thread - so apologies to anyone who feels a sense of dejavu on reading this, my second attempt).

Dreams can be pretty whacky, right? Let's imagine that one night you had a dream that you were competing in a sausage eating contest with Gyles Brandreth in a Romanian castle. Well, that's a silly and trivial kind of dream - and you most likely would have forgotten it completely the next day, as you do most of your dreams.

But on this next day you are leafing through `Hello` magazine and you learn that Gyles Brandreth, with his lovely wife, is holidaying in Romania this year. Later you catch a TV news story about a suasage eating contest that is occuring somewhere in Romanaia also this year. And you go `Whoa!` - I dreamt about that!!

In your surprised state a few salient facts will get waylaid, viz: (a) Romania is a very populatr holiday destination and many British people go there every year, (b) Indeed, Gyles Brandreth and his lovely wife go there every year. (c) Neither of them attended the sausage eating competition. (d) Sausage eating competitions are staged all over the world, and (d) the Romainian castle detail does not feature at all in any of this.

You will also have quite forgotten the dream that you had the night before this dream, which involved being in gladiatorial combat with Bruce Forsyth in ancient Rome - as, since it didn't seem to resonate with anything, you clean forget it.

To summarise my position:
* We dream pretty much every night - and our dreams are often high;ly inventive and full of detail. (The subconscios mind is like Chat GPT on speed).
*Most of these dreams get forgotten - or are at best only partially recalled.
*Most of them don't resonate with anything in `the real world`.
*However, lots of stuff happens in the `real world` - and so, inevitably, some things which happen in our dreams may tally sometimes with things which happen in `objective reality`. (Particularly so as our minds are designed to find patterns in things.)
* We tend to cherry pick the bits of the dream that fit `real` events and ignore - or just plain forget- those which do not.

I would be impressed with dreams that sre striking enough, and significant enough, to make us change our behavious in a way that is to our advantage - e.g. someone deciding not to take a train to work for once - becuase they dreamt of a train crash - and later there was (at a time reasobnably close to the dream). Maybe there are documented cases like this, but nine times out of ten, when people talk about `precognitive dreams` they are just fitting a dream together with some random event that later took place after the event.

@Zeke Newbold - Nazca lines: When I first read about them, I started to conjecture what they were for and why anybody bothered, as they were a huge expenditure of resources, much bigger than stonehenge. I came up with:

Alien astronauts built them, but not for navigation since they seemed to navigate from the stars without Nazca lines. Rejected because no other confirmatory evidence and that people did it seemed a simpler explanation.

Ancient man built them for unknown reasons. Their mere existence seemed to me to imply a high level of political and economic organization since a lot of manpower would be needed to do this. Engineering and conceptual work: far less than building South American drystone temples. Any first year art or engineering student today could plan this out to scale using low tech paper, a pencil, and a ruler, as long as they could measure out the landscape.

Why bother? Political ruler’s mad scheme, a priest’s mad scheme, an artist’s mad scheme…. Mad scheme seems to be a theme in my thinking. Hmmm. But it is an astonishing, glorious thing!

I'm currently reading Unsolved History by Joe Nickell and he had a chapter about Nazca lines where he sussed that the designs were likely drawn, then scaled up and all were done with just one line. He extrapolated that they were used in a ritualistic manner, as in one would walk the line and pray to receive some of the powers the symbol's animal had. He even went a step farther to make a condor on the ground and found that although you need to be well above to take in the whole picture, on the ground, you would still be able to pick out what the symbol was.

I'm not sure this explains all of the Nazca lines (there's a big one on a hillside, so not sure how likely people would be walking it?) but it certainly makes more sense to me than directing UFOs to landing sites.

I'm currently reading Unsolved History by Joe Nickell and he had a chapter about Nazca lines where he sussed that the designs were likely drawn, then scaled up and all were done with just one line. He extrapolated that they were used in a ritualistic manner, as in one would walk the line and pray to receive some of the powers the symbol's animal had. He even went a step farther to make a condor on the ground and found that although you need to be well above to take in the whole picture, on the ground, you would still be able to pick out what the symbol was.

I'm not sure this explains all of the Nazca lines (there's a big one on a hillside, so not sure how likely people would be walking it?) but it certainly makes more sense to me than directing UFOs to landing sites.
I don't have much time for Joe Nickell, but in this case it sounds reasonable.

Just finished reading all 4 pages and I'm inclined to agree with a lot of posts. I wouldn't say I've grown more skeptical as I've gotten older (just turned 52!) but finding this forum and discussing things that I accepted previously with little to no thought has definitely switched my critical reasoning on and now I'm just grumpily admitting that a lot of the things I took for granted as true were probably not....arrrgh!

I believe in ghosts, although I've never seen proof of one. I don't believe ETs from galaxies millions of light years away are buzzing Earth in space crafts and then fucking off back to whence they came. But there's a lot of significant jumps in technology through the epochs that can't be explained....but then again I think ancient man had more knowledge and resources than we give them credit for, and those sorts of paradoxes are what keep my interest. Never had an interest in cryptids, but it's the multiverse theory that is capturing my attention right now but my cynical side is wondering if that's just because it's the handiest and easiest explanation, not necessarily the correct one.

So, in summing up, I'd say I haven't gotten more skeptical because I'm older, I'm more skeptical because of YOU here at the FTMB :D

He is a die-hard materialist debunker. His treatment of paranormal phenomena is nothing short of scornful and dismissive.
Ahhhhh, ok. This book doesn't have much in the way of paranormal, just mostly legends..

1705408520923.png

But I'll keep that in mind while I read, in case he has a bias somewhere

A lot of the filler material in the mystery books and encyclopedias of the past was just that, most of it was originally made up by American newspapers in the 19t Century and taken as gospel a couple of examples were the guy who walk out of his front door and disappeared and the Argentinian doctors case both were easily dismissed as fantasy stories, but there are plenty of deeper mysteries to tickle the Fortean taste buds slightly less sensationalist the best thing is most are covered by this forum and solved like the Cumberland Spaceman

Everything is suspicion rather than conviction, and some ideas are just fun to run with to see where they lead. (Without making the mistake of actually believing in anything).

Having said that... as I get older, two things appear to be emerging for me.

i) The idea that time is not as fixed or as linear as we are led to believe;
ii) The idea that not all dreams are a subjective internalised experience - just sometimes you suspect there really are other planes out there, that these can involve shared experiences involving more than one usually human mind, and the most usual way of encountering these Otherworlds is via dreaming. The Astral Plane of the shamans and the mystics may actually, for a given value of the word "real", be real.

And putting those two postulates together leads to weirder thinking still at further steps removed. (What if some UFOs and "aliens" actually come from the Otherworlds and the Astral... or even ABC's. (the reason we see them but can't find them is that they're visitors from the Otherworlds of shamanism - no physical trace) What is the implication of something that feels like a more lucid, "shared dream", involving somebody I last physically encountered in 1992. Did she wake up remembering meeting that God-awful man in a dream, and more crucially, when on her timeline did this happen to her... and if time on the other side is not fixed, have I dreamt the future - and whose future. What about the dreams where I wake up thinking I've lived somebody else's life, that Despatch screwed up the delivery, and I really had somebody else's dream.... and has anyone else ever dreamed of being me, poor tormented sod..)

Last edited:
couple of examples were the guy who walk out of his front door and disappeared
If you mean this one, yeah...it's fiction

https://www.online-literature.com/bierce/1995/

If so, I was a youngin' when I read this story and it always stuck in my head, and then I mentioned it to Kurt from The Strange Sessions a few months ago, who promptly identified it for me. I have to admit, it is a great story!

I rather incline to the idea that the phenomena doesn't change but the explanations/excuses for them does, as science progresses.
Ball lightning, anyone?
I'd rather recline to this idea

lays down in bed

Now, what was that you were sayinzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:D

I feel like this thought falls into the multiverse theory.....

I rather incline to the idea that the phenomena doesn't change but the explanations/excuses for them does, as science progresses.
Ball lightning, anyone?
Like the ufo thing. It started out as airships lassoing cattle, became alien visitors in saucers, then time travellers, then from another dimension. The more we learn, the more they remain just out of reach.

Like the ufo thing. It started out as airships lassoing cattle, became alien visitors in saucers, then time travellers, then from another dimension. The more we learn, the more they remain just out of reach.
As Valle and Keel pointed out many times it's not a new thing, it's been happening for years under different guises the Gentry turned into UFO's and Big Cats, now there is either deeper meaning behind it all as Valle thought, or it was just the work of some maniacally deranged cosmic joker whose soul intention was to taunt human beings as Keel thought (or almost)

Then you get the side issues like Timeslips, which I happen to think are behind most ghost tales (so more common than we would think)

Basically we live in a very strange world that our modern day materialistic beliefs are in direct conflict mainly because it's so elusive it lets you get close then disappears it leaves false trails it tells lies, so most people discount it leaving many witnesses reluctant to come forward for fear of ridicule

The older I get, and the more I read, the more sceptical I become of 'back stories' for hauntings. I'm talking about the 'it is said that an ill used serving girl, finding herself pregnant....(killed herself in some improbable and over dramatic way). Also nuns being walled up for having affairs with monks.

I really don't think that illegitimacy was quite as much of a taboo until the Victorians got started and nuns (and monks) were allowed to leave their religious communities at any time. So all these Grey Ladies are going to need another Inciting Incident, if you ask me.

I really don't think that illegitimacy was quite as much of a taboo until the Victorians got started
The plot of Heart of Midlothian revolves around a woman who was sentenced to death for concealing pregnancy and subsequently losing the baby. It is set in 1736 and was written in 1818.

Edit - sorry, he was stolen and sold by gypsies. Either way, it is not a good look for how unmarried mothers were treated.

Back