Is This Book Good?

Amishaman

Fresh Blood
Charles Fort, the man who invented the supernatural

i just finished this book and found it an intimate portrait of the life a private man. Having always been more keenly interested in Fort's books & ideas than FT (though I still have boxes full of back issues) I thought the book did a good job at giving some context to the times when Fort was writing. Also, the relationships w/ Thayer & Dreiser are thoroughly explored. At times during my reading I almost felt I was visiting Fort & sharing a glass of homemade beer & playing super checkers at his humble flat in in the Bronx. I recommend the book.

btw, does ANYONE know how to play supercheckers?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Last edited:

crossetti

Fresh Blood
i just finished this book and found it an intimate portrait of the life a private man. Having always been more keenly interested in Fort's books & ideas than FT (though I still have boxes full of back issues) I thought the book did a good job at giving some context to the times when Fort was writing. Also, the relationships w/ Thayer & Dreiser are thoroughly explored. At times during my reading I almost felt I was visiting Fort & sharing a glass of homemade beer & playing super checkers at his humble flat in in the Bronx. I recommend the book.
Thanks for that. I'll definitely buy the book.

BlackPeter

Ancient Badger

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Yes read it when it came out would recommend it as a portrait of Fort and his life but it did strike me as stretching its material in places as little is known of some aspects of Forts life.
Cheers .. I'll pick it up.