Is This Gargoyle The Inspiration For The Movie Alien?

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
There's a good chance it's the other way around ... _Alien_ might have been the inspiration for the (non-original; refurbished) gargoyle. :twisted:

Medieval or modern? 13th Century abbey has gargoyle shaped like film monster ALIEN

A medieval abbey has a much more modern addition, with a gargoyle shaped like the monster from the Alien film.

The historic 13th Century Paisley Abbey has a gargoyle that is shaped like the famous 1980s Alien character.

A photograph of the stonework has gone viral on social media as movie fans share the hidden gem.

Reverend Alan Birss said most of the gargoyles were replaced during a refurbishment - but this one must have been remodelled by a mischievous stonemason.

Mr Birss said that 12 medieval gargoyles, which had been on the abbey for hundreds of years, had to be taken down in 1991 because they had "crumbled and were in a very bad state".

Just one of the original gargoyles was left outside the abbey to show how they would have looked, although there are medieval grotesques inside the building.

Mr Birss said a stonemason from an Edinburgh firm was contracted to create the new gargoyles.

"I think it was a stonemason having a bit of fun," he said.

"Perhaps the film was fairly new when they were carving this and if he was thinking of an alien perhaps the alien from the film was his idea of an alien.

"I'm sure he wasn't deliberately copying the alien in the film. It was just a concept of an alien."

Mr Birss said that someone had pointed out the similarity as far back as 1997.

"But it obviously did not pick up and take off then like it has now," he said.

Church officer Matthew McIntosh said: "It is a beautiful building. Paisley gets a bad press but the abbey is the jewel in the crown.

"People will be surprised and delighted by everything they see outside and inside."

SOURCE: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news ... ey-2230235

I thought the stonework looked a bit fresh. Paisley sits in the heart of what was once Victorian industrial Scotland, after all.

liveinabin

Justified & Ancient
Am I alone in seeming to recall this gargoyle being installed?
I'm sure I remember a new gargoyles being made to replace damaged ones and they used modern day 'monsters' as inspiration.

EnolaGaia

Staff member
liveinabin1 said:
Am I alone in seeming to recall this gargoyle being installed?
I'm sure I remember a new gargoyles being made to replace damaged ones and they used modern day 'monsters' as inspiration.
I know what you mean ...

When I saw this recent story I could have sworn I'd seen a photo of (and explanation for ...) the 'Alien' gargoyle some years ago.

... But I couldn't find any evidence to prove it.

EnolaGaia

Staff member

escargot

Beloved of Ra
What a stunning gargoyle that is. 8)

Weren't some new ones installed somewhere a while ago in the shape of the head of the then Archbishop of Canterbury or something? The Alien one is much more interesting.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
This shows how quickly the origins of art works can be forgotten. There are modern gargoyles representing other famous figures and people, so who's to say how they will be interpreted in the future?

Reminds me of the photos someone on'ere came across of Hitler cavorting with strippers. I saw those photos in a newspaper at the time they were taken; they were publicity shots for a German stage comedy.

However, people seemed to want to believe they were actual evidence of Hitler's secret life with his friends the showgirls, as if that could have been a secret for all these years.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Here's another good example, which also pops up regularly on Quora and Pinterest as an alleged OOPART. It's a carving on the medieval cathedral of Salamanca in Spain:

PSX_20181012_083419.jpg

Plenty of woo factor there eh?
.... except the astronaut carving was added in 1993 during renovation work, when the stonemason, a señor Garcia, was given the remit to create a few modern images.

oldrover

Justified & Ancient
I find the gas masked gargoyle from the link I posted above the most unsettling.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Could have sworn I posted this yesterday.
As you can never get enough Half Man Half Biscuit, here goes again with this very on-topic song (but who is Bob Todd asks the American contingent...).

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Here's another good example, which also pops up regularly on Quora and Pinterest as an alleged OOPART. It's a carving on the medieval cathedral of Salamanca in Spain:

View attachment 12286

Plenty of woo factor there eh?
.... except the astronaut carving was added in 1993 during renovation work, when the stonemason, a señor Garcia, was given the remit to create a few modern images.
That's beautiful! Really elegant.

There's a gargoyle representing one of the recent Archbishops of Canterbury on some English cathedral, complete with NHS issue-looking specs. I think an element of humour is allowed in this particular highly-skilled field.