Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My Dad wouldn't let us be fussy when we were little, my Mum enjoyed unusual food so we'd go to Birmingham's first Chinese restaurant, we'd be eating snail in garlic sauce, frog's legs, horse steaks (in France. I cooked lamb brain last time me and the Mrs visited) .. almost anything that came out of the sea, lakes or rivers, snake in America etc etc .. as a result (I think), me and my Sister have no food allergies. We were encouraged to eat everything.

I didn't get Easter eggs when I was young because my Mum told everyone I was allergic to chocolate. The truth was, one year I ate 3 or 4 Easter eggs in one session when no one was looking and was sick but didn't own up to what I'd done.

Kondoru

Antediluvian
My Mother, her of the Many virtues, could not cook.

Bangers and mash was instant mash, and dirt cheap sausages.

I didnt like it until I had it done properly as an adult.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
My Mother, her of the Many virtues, could not cook.

Bangers and mash was instant mash, and dirt cheap sausages.

I didnt like it until I had it done properly as an adult.
Nothing wrong with instant mash.....

Attachments

• Smash.jpg
    Smash.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 1

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
I was never made to eat anything, but being the 'generation after the war' meant my mother got very tight-lipped if I refused anything. Although, to be honest, we were usually hungry (no snacks, no 'between meals eating' of any kind, no crisps in the house, no access to biscuits, if you were sssstttttttaaaaaarrrrving you could have an apple) and ate most things.

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
I was never made to eat anything, but being the 'generation after the war' meant my mother got very tight-lipped if I refused anything. Although, to be honest, we were usually hungry (no snacks, no 'between meals eating' of any kind, no crisps in the house, no access to biscuits, if you were sssstttttttaaaaaarrrrving you could have an apple) and ate most things.
I get really annoyed with myself about how much sugar I ate, not so much as a child, but early teens. Biscuits/cakes/sweets etc. I wasn't as bad as some, but I hate that kind of stuff now. I wonder why I liked it back then?

brownmane

off kilter
My maternal grandma disliked potatoes. She was a child in Saskatchewan, Canada through the Great Depression. She said that all that they had to eat was potatoes and honey, so she hated potatoes. She was a great cook and baker:)

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Did anyone here have to eat tripe with white sauce? It used to make me feel ill just smelling it and having to eat it was just awful but you were made to eat it.
I remember asking if we couldn't just post it off to Africa when I was admonished that children there didn't have enough to eat.

My father use to like tripe and drisheen, none of the rest of the family ate it.

Iris

Justified & Ancient
My Mother finally stopped cooking tripe when my Father complained he could smell it cooking at the end of the street on his way home from work.( He didn't like it either}.

marhawkman

Justified & Ancient
My Dad wouldn't let us be fussy when we were little, my Mum enjoyed unusual food so we'd go to Birmingham's first Chinese restaurant, we'd be eating snail in garlic sauce, frog's legs, horse steaks (in France. I cooked lamb brain last time me and the Mrs visited) .. almost anything that came out of the sea, lakes or rivers, snake in America etc etc .. as a result (I think), me and my Sister have no food allergies. We were encouraged to eat everything.

I didn't get Easter eggs when I was young because my Mum told everyone I was allergic to chocolate. The truth was, one year I ate 3 or 4 Easter eggs in one session when no one was looking and was sick but didn't own up to what I'd done.
My folks tended to use the malnutrition angle. If you don't eat your veggies you might get scurvy or something. other dietary imbalances might cause you to have excess muscle soreness.

brownmane

off kilter
My parents didn't make us eat everything offered. It was take it or leave it. Considering I grew up in a family of 7, even getting the bowl of potatoes passed away around the table and being the last person to get them, sometimes the bowl was empty.

I did go without meals sometimes because my mom would cook "stew" the day before grocery day, which meant that she threw in any leftovers from the week. Blah! Days old boiled potatoes with random veggies, maybe stewed tomatoes and/or canned peas, with chunks of meat. Ok, I know we were lucky to have beef, usually bought from a cousin of my dad. But stew, no way. I would only eat a couple of slices of bread.

Even now, I don't really know how to make an actual stew though it isn't difficult.

Oh, yeah, I also never make a casserole for the same reason. Yeek

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell with yesterday's knickers
I get really annoyed with myself about how much sugar I ate, not so much as a child, but early teens. Biscuits/cakes/sweets etc. I wasn't as bad as some, but I hate that kind of stuff now. I wonder why I liked it back then?
Your body may have been craving instant energy, if you were very active.

Bad Bungle

Tutti but not Frutti.
My folks tended to use the malnutrition angle. If you don't eat your veggies you might get scurvy or something. other dietary imbalances might cause you to have excess muscle soreness.
A Primary School teacher tried the malnutrition scare on me by suggesting cabbage (ughh) was a good source of Vitamin K. It is actually, but I'm pretty sure in the late 60's she didn't know what Vit K was good for. K comes from Koagulation (german) and I would have been more impressed if she'd tried an 'eat it or you'll bleed to death' angle. But mainly to test the theory.

Fluttermoth

Cult of Jari
We had stew and dumplings yesterday; my son prefers something spicier, but he's happy to eat it, and I LOVE a good stew. They do take time to come together though, underdone stew is awful.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Sounds an awful lot like stories I've heard of people who, due to a restricted diet not of their choice, couldn't eat any meat for week, then when they tried eating things they used to like, it just tasted alien and wrong to them.
I’m on week 6 of my liquid diet. I am living for the day when the diet is lifted and I can eat real food, one of the first will be some fatty lamb joint that I can bury my face in.
I have an aged veal fore rib and a bone in pork loin in the freezer and a three bird roast, a four bird roast and half a gammon ordered for the Christmas and new year.
If I go off of meat between now and then I’m going to be mightily pee’d off.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I’m on week 6 of my liquid diet. I am living for the day when the diet is lifted and I can eat real food, one of the first will be some fatty lamb joint that I can bury my face in.
I have an aged veal fore rib and a bone in pork loin in the freezer and a three bird roast, a four bird roast and half a gammon ordered for the Christmas and new year.
If I go off of meat between now and then I’m going to be mightily pee’d off.
I predict that when you go back to eating normally, that meat will taste like manna from Heaven. It may even bring tears to your eyes.
That was my own reaction when I came off the Cambridge Diet.

brownmane

off kilter
I do believe we've moved slightly off topic:oops:. Partly my fault. I thought of it after I posted yesterday. Actually my thought was "wait, what thread was I reading?" It does get difficult to remember which thread you're on when catching up. My apologies to any vegans who may be disgusted by the conversation.

Ok back to topic

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Yep. My Gran put the Christmas sprouts on in June.

And as for boiled to death cabbage- dear Lord the smell never leaves you.
Raw cabbage on the other hand is lovely.
When working in Russia the smell of boiled cabbage used to hit me every time I walked into the communal staircase in any block of flats. We have it raw, lightly steamed or stir fried.

Last edited:

marhawkman

Justified & Ancient
T

When working in Russia the smell of boiled cabbage used to hit me every time I walked into the communal staircase in any block of flats. We have it raw, lightly steamed or stir fried.
hmmm I remember a sort of seasoned cabbage stew from years back... I think it had bits of beef for flavor though. IIRC on of the comments is that cooking meat that way causes the flavor fo the meat to get absorbed into the cabbage... and the meat to become kinda tasteless.