• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

1676889258762.png
They sell lychee in the supermarkets here.

cereal was relatively expensive
Also, milk was dearer back then. Few people had fridges to keep it in so there'd be just enough ordered each day to use up before it spoiled.
So there was none lying around for snacking on!

I never once had a drink of milk as a child. One of the first things I spent my own first wages on was a bottle of ice-cold milk from a shop. Drank the lot to see what the fuss was about. :chuckle:

Also, milk was dearer back then. Few people had fridges to keep it in so there'd be just enough ordered each day to use up before it spoiled.

I never once had a drink of milk as a child. One of the first things I spent my own first wages on was a bottle of ice-cold milk from a shop. Drank the lot to see what the fuss was about. :chuckle:
Oh yes! (This is beginning to sound more and more like Down Memory Lane, perhaps we should have a new thread...). Milk, butter and cheese were all extremely pricey. We were not allowed to drink the milk and my mum used to pour the 'top of the milk' off into a jug to use instead of cream in things. So no such thing as a glass of milk, again, it was carefully rationed to go on cereal and in tea. We had a fridge to keep it in, but the household budget wouldn't allow for extras.

I hated boiled cabbage as a child (and still do). But, raw cabbage is one of my favourites now. I also prefer raw carrots and peppers too.
I wonder if I'd have glady eaten it that way if I had been given the option back then.

I don't know if this was a national trait for the time period (70s) but we were forced to clear our plate (and if not, were told that we were ungrateful as there were many starving people in the world).

I never understood how forcing a child to eat something they didn't like (and/or were sated to the point of bursting) was of any use.
As Catseye said, the parents were familiar with rationing and going without. In my case - both parents veterans of the army of WW2 - it wasn't a matter of forcing food on a child; that was all there was an we kids got used to eating it. We might not like the stuff but hunger makes you choke it back. There was no alternative offered. As far a clearing the plate - my parents weren't that strict and shrugged it off; we'd be hungry later in the day but it was up to us - it was a matter of waste. When you're skint, food waste is a luxury.

We had plentiful milk, even at infants school (pre-Thatcher, of course). Cereal was given but more often than not, it'd be pops (torn-up chunks of stale bread in milk). Sprinkle of sugar, warm millk in winter, good enough. Until cereal advertising hit the screens then it all went silly.

We had plentiful milk, even at infants school (pre-Thatcher, of course). Cereal was given but more often than not, it'd be pops (torn-up chunks of stale bread in milk). Sprinkle of sugar, warm millk in winter, good enough. Until cereal advertising hit the screens then it all went silly.
I said I never had a drink of milk as a child but I'd forgotten the school milk!
Delicious it was too - chilled in winter, lukewarm in summer. :chuckle:

We had to drink through a paper straw poked into the foil lid. One classmate, usually a bigger boy, made the holes in the lids with a knife.
It was a little job they enjoyed.

Nobody was allowed to remove the lid to drink straight from the bottle. I imagine this was to prevent a danger from chipped bottle rims or shards of glass. It's also harder to spill with a lid on.

So I should have said I'd never had a drink of milk at home, rather then ever.

When I were a lad it was a race to bring in the milk after it had been delivered before the bluetits pecked through the lids to get the cream.
Before we started having these modern namby-pamby winters the milk started to freeze and push the lids off as it expanded.

I hated boiled cabbage as a child (and still do). But, raw cabbage is one of my favourites now. I also prefer raw carrots and peppers too.
I wonder if I'd have glady eaten it that way if I had been given the option back then.

I don't know if this was a national trait for the time period (70s) but we were forced to clear our plate (and if not, were told that we were ungrateful as there were many starving people in the world).

I never understood how forcing a child to eat something they didn't like (and/or were sated to the point of bursting) was of any use.
My favorite way to prep cabbage is gently steamed.... just barely enough to soften it a bit.

But yeah... having choices of what to eat is... for well-to-do people who have more than they really need. :p

As Catseye said, the parents were familiar with rationing and going without. In my case - both parents veterans of the army of WW2 - it wasn't a matter of forcing food on a child; that was all there was an we kids got used to eating it. We might not like the stuff but hunger makes you choke it back. There was no alternative offered. As far a clearing the plate - my parents weren't that strict and shrugged it off; we'd be hungry later in the day but it was up to us - it was a matter of waste. When you're skint, food waste is a luxury.
Yeah didn't get as a child why grandpa was so fond of canned meat.... eventually I realized it's because you can store it for years and eat it later. Less sure why it was mostly pickled meat, but I guess that's what he was familiar with.

Supermarkets are running out of tomatoes here. Considering how tasteless they are nowadays, it's not a bad thing.
Supermarkets are blaming bad weather in Spain etc.
I've no problem; plenty of local toms in our independent greengrocer.

I think the common consensus is that it isn't the supply of tomatoes from the european countries, but an issue between the suppliers and the giant supermarkets.
I wonder what might be the problem, eh?

I just noticed that the Lidl tomatoes are from Morocco.

I think the common consensus is that it isn't the supply of tomatoes from the european countries, but an issue between the suppliers and the giant supermarkets.
I wonder what might be the problem, eh?
If the supermarkets sourced them from outside the EU, there'd be less of a problem.

If the supermarkets sourced them from outside the EU, there'd be less of a problem.
True. But most sourcing agreements take quite a while to establish and the close proximity to a source is a factor when it comes to costing. Most - if not all - supermarket import trade was set up while we were in the EU and there was no delay at customs etc. This is most important when it comes to fresh produce that spoils quickly.
Also, factor in that the supermarkets use these suppliers because it's the cheapest.

This is why the trade deal set up with Australia is not exactly a triumph. It's added on food miles to the produce and added on cost of transportation.

My spring onions always seem to come from Ahmed in Egypt. Surely we can grow the little beggers here?
Yes, they grow quite quickly and allotment growers used to plant them between rows of faster growing crops. Alternating carrots and spring onions in rows stopped carrot fly and onion fly as the smells masked each other. If you grow maincrop onions from seed then the thinnings can be used as spring onions as well. No need to import them except in the depths of winter.

Thing is, the difference between the actual product, such as toms etc., and the actual quantity required for a huge supermarket chain.
That's why I always purchase from a local greengrocer. It's not a matter of growing your own - I do - but availability.
It's not the 'food miles', it's not the organic/non-organic thing ... it's the "You want tomatoes? We got 'em!"

Back