• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

Many of the new vegan, fake meat style products are made from what's known in Eastern cuisines as 'seitan', which is just gluten.

Isn't there a movement to make everything gluten-free ?

I hate vegan stuff its horrid, i suppose that is what meat eaters think about vegetarian stuff. I would like nothing more than to eat a lovely beef stew, or a beef pie, beef was my fav meat

I hate vegan stuff its horrid, i suppose that is what meat eaters think about vegetarian stuff. I would like nothing more than to eat a lovely beef stew, or a beef pie, beef was my fav meat

I think I could go veggie if I really wanted to. But I see no immediate reason to do so.

Maybe try a Greggs veggie sausage roll tomorrow.

.. a great take on a steak bake! ..

Maybe I'll look in Morrisons.

Yep they have em, usually range from a quid to about £1.50

MrsCarlos is vegan most of the time - she's been veggie for years and is trying to use as few animal-sourced products as possible.

But I'm not a veggie or vegan. I reserve the right to eat a steak when I'm in a restaurant, or a filthy burger when I'm pissed.

However - everything we eat at home is veggie, and most is vegan. And I honestly don't notice the difference.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and I don't understand why people have a problem with other people's diets anyway. If you've got time to worry about that, you must be living a pretty rosy life.

I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and I don't understand why people have a problem with other people's diets anyway. If you've got time to worry about that, you must be living a pretty rosy life.

Damn right. It's like being offended at how other people go to the toilet.

Damn right. It's like being offended at how other people go to the toilet.

0de.gif

I tried "vegan slices" the other day as they were on special. The label proudly proclaimed that they "contained real vegetables!". I declined to read the ingredients list. They weren't bad but I wouldn't eat them regularly.

My wife is vegan, no religious or ideological reason, she just hates the taste of meat - animal products. She can still whip up some tasty dishes. However I cook all the meat for me (and sons, etc.). Personally I can't image not eating beef, venison, chicken, etc. However each persons palette differs.

Don't you get giant meat carrots in kebab houses?
There used to be a deli-style restaurant here that offered a lasagne filled with large carrot slices (cut lengthwise into strips a few inches long) as a cheap way, no doubt, to make up for the the absence of cheeses and any solid protein like meat, seafood, or even tofu. Actually, in place of cheese (except for the requisite thin layer on the top) there was a sickly cream sauce. Disgusting!

I take it back what i said about vegan food, i have had this before and i assumed it was vegetarian, but it says suitable for vegan, it is called 'Wicked' it is exclusive to Tesco and it is a Naked Burrito 2.0 and it is fricking delicious, they have others but i only chose this one, i would highly recommend it, it has Chipotle glazed pulled King Oyster mushrooms, refried black turtle beans and roasted vegetables and spring greens, roasted onions and peppers

Reactions: Jim
There used to be a deli-style restaurant here that offered a lasagne filled with large carrot slices (cut lengthwise into strips a few inches long) as a cheap way, no doubt, to make up for the the absence of cheeses and any solid protein like meat, seafood, or even tofu. Actually, in place of cheese (except for the requisite thin layer on the top) there was a sickly cream sauce. Disgusting!
I think portabello mushrooms might be better than carrot slices

I think portabello mushrooms might be better than carrot slices
True, tastewise; but portobellos would have cost them more, and the only reason for using carrots was to minimise costs. (I wonder if they tried potatoes instead of carrots? But doing so would perhaps have led to blurred-boundaries anxiety among the customers, who weren't sure if they were eating lasagne or scallopped potatoes...)

Back