• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

My Dad wouldn't let us be fussy when we were little, my Mum enjoyed unusual food so we'd go to Birmingham's first Chinese restaurant, we'd be eating snail in garlic sauce, frog's legs, horse steaks (in France. I cooked lamb brain last time me and the Mrs visited) .. almost anything that came out of the sea, lakes or rivers, snake in America etc etc .. as a result (I think), me and my Sister have no food allergies. We were encouraged to eat everything.

I didn't get Easter eggs when I was young because my Mum told everyone I was allergic to chocolate. The truth was, one year I ate 3 or 4 Easter eggs in one session when no one was looking and was sick but didn't own up to what I'd done.

My Mother, her of the Many virtues, could not cook.

Bangers and mash was instant mash, and dirt cheap sausages.

I didnt like it until I had it done properly as an adult.

My Mother, her of the Many virtues, could not cook.

Bangers and mash was instant mash, and dirt cheap sausages.

I didnt like it until I had it done properly as an adult.
Nothing wrong with instant mash.....

Attachments

• Smash.jpg
    Smash.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 11
I was never made to eat anything, but being the 'generation after the war' meant my mother got very tight-lipped if I refused anything. Although, to be honest, we were usually hungry (no snacks, no 'between meals eating' of any kind, no crisps in the house, no access to biscuits, if you were sssstttttttaaaaaarrrrving you could have an apple) and ate most things.

I was never made to eat anything, but being the 'generation after the war' meant my mother got very tight-lipped if I refused anything. Although, to be honest, we were usually hungry (no snacks, no 'between meals eating' of any kind, no crisps in the house, no access to biscuits, if you were sssstttttttaaaaaarrrrving you could have an apple) and ate most things.
I get really annoyed with myself about how much sugar I ate, not so much as a child, but early teens. Biscuits/cakes/sweets etc. I wasn't as bad as some, but I hate that kind of stuff now. I wonder why I liked it back then?

My maternal grandma disliked potatoes. She was a child in Saskatchewan, Canada through the Great Depression. She said that all that they had to eat was potatoes and honey, so she hated potatoes. She was a great cook and baker:)

Did anyone here have to eat tripe with white sauce? It used to make me feel ill just smelling it and having to eat it was just awful but you were made to eat it.
I remember asking if we couldn't just post it off to Africa when I was admonished that children there didn't have enough to eat.

My father use to like tripe and drisheen, none of the rest of the family ate it.

My Mother finally stopped cooking tripe when my Father complained he could smell it cooking at the end of the street on his way home from work.( He didn't like it either}.

My Dad wouldn't let us be fussy when we were little, my Mum enjoyed unusual food so we'd go to Birmingham's first Chinese restaurant, we'd be eating snail in garlic sauce, frog's legs, horse steaks (in France. I cooked lamb brain last time me and the Mrs visited) .. almost anything that came out of the sea, lakes or rivers, snake in America etc etc .. as a result (I think), me and my Sister have no food allergies. We were encouraged to eat everything.

I didn't get Easter eggs when I was young because my Mum told everyone I was allergic to chocolate. The truth was, one year I ate 3 or 4 Easter eggs in one session when no one was looking and was sick but didn't own up to what I'd done.
My folks tended to use the malnutrition angle. If you don't eat your veggies you might get scurvy or something. other dietary imbalances might cause you to have excess muscle soreness.

My parents didn't make us eat everything offered. It was take it or leave it. Considering I grew up in a family of 7, even getting the bowl of potatoes passed away around the table and being the last person to get them, sometimes the bowl was empty.

I did go without meals sometimes because my mom would cook "stew" the day before grocery day, which meant that she threw in any leftovers from the week. Blah! Days old boiled potatoes with random veggies, maybe stewed tomatoes and/or canned peas, with chunks of meat. Ok, I know we were lucky to have beef, usually bought from a cousin of my dad. But stew, no way. I would only eat a couple of slices of bread.

Even now, I don't really know how to make an actual stew though it isn't difficult.

Oh, yeah, I also never make a casserole for the same reason. Yeek

I get really annoyed with myself about how much sugar I ate, not so much as a child, but early teens. Biscuits/cakes/sweets etc. I wasn't as bad as some, but I hate that kind of stuff now. I wonder why I liked it back then?
Your body may have been craving instant energy, if you were very active.

My folks tended to use the malnutrition angle. If you don't eat your veggies you might get scurvy or something. other dietary imbalances might cause you to have excess muscle soreness.
A Primary School teacher tried the malnutrition scare on me by suggesting cabbage (ughh) was a good source of Vitamin K. It is actually, but I'm pretty sure in the late 60's she didn't know what Vit K was good for. K comes from Koagulation (german) and I would have been more impressed if she'd tried an 'eat it or you'll bleed to death' angle. But mainly to test the theory.

We had stew and dumplings yesterday; my son prefers something spicier, but he's happy to eat it, and I LOVE a good stew. They do take time to come together though, underdone stew is awful.

Sounds an awful lot like stories I've heard of people who, due to a restricted diet not of their choice, couldn't eat any meat for week, then when they tried eating things they used to like, it just tasted alien and wrong to them.
I’m on week 6 of my liquid diet. I am living for the day when the diet is lifted and I can eat real food, one of the first will be some fatty lamb joint that I can bury my face in.
I have an aged veal fore rib and a bone in pork loin in the freezer and a three bird roast, a four bird roast and half a gammon ordered for the Christmas and new year.
If I go off of meat between now and then I’m going to be mightily pee’d off.

I’m on week 6 of my liquid diet. I am living for the day when the diet is lifted and I can eat real food, one of the first will be some fatty lamb joint that I can bury my face in.
I have an aged veal fore rib and a bone in pork loin in the freezer and a three bird roast, a four bird roast and half a gammon ordered for the Christmas and new year.
If I go off of meat between now and then I’m going to be mightily pee’d off.
I predict that when you go back to eating normally, that meat will taste like manna from Heaven. It may even bring tears to your eyes.
That was my own reaction when I came off the Cambridge Diet.

I do believe we've moved slightly off topic:oops:. Partly my fault. I thought of it after I posted yesterday. Actually my thought was "wait, what thread was I reading?" It does get difficult to remember which thread you're on when catching up. My apologies to any vegans who may be disgusted by the conversation.

Ok back to topic

Yep. My Gran put the Christmas sprouts on in June.

And as for boiled to death cabbage- dear Lord the smell never leaves you.
Raw cabbage on the other hand is lovely.
When working in Russia the smell of boiled cabbage used to hit me every time I walked into the communal staircase in any block of flats. We have it raw, lightly steamed or stir fried.

Last edited:
T

When working in Russia the smell of boiled cabbage used to hit me every time I walked into the communal staircase in any block of flats. We have it raw, lightly steamed or stir fried.
hmmm I remember a sort of seasoned cabbage stew from years back... I think it had bits of beef for flavor though. IIRC on of the comments is that cooking meat that way causes the flavor fo the meat to get absorbed into the cabbage... and the meat to become kinda tasteless.

After the hype plant-based proteins face leaner times

A back-to-basics movement is underway among UK vegans. They're cooking more pulses and grains, buying in bulk, and relying less on the exotic processed products that have proliferated on supermarket shelves in the past few years.

Beyond Meat's share price collapsed to a low of $11.56 in November 2022, a 95% fall from its record high of almost $240 in July 2019.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63718772

All food is plant based. The fact that the plant may have gone through another process before we consume it is immaterial.

Ditto all food is organic.

(There are some trace minerals we need but that's not what anyone is talking about).

We are surrounded by idiots - and I don't include in that genuine vegetarians, of whom there are millions worldwide. I'm aiming my criticism at idiots who try and manipulate us.

All food is plant based. The fact that the plant may have gone through another process before we consume it is immaterial.

Ditto all food is organic.

(There are some trace minerals we need but that's not what anyone is talking about).

We are surrounded by idiots - and I don't include in that genuine vegetarians, of whom there are millions worldwide. I'm aiming my criticism at idiots who try and manipulate us.
You mean like the hipster who came to my ice cream van last year to ask if we sold vegan ice cream, nodded sagely and silently when I pointed out the vegan vanilla (that's a pain in the arse to scoop because it's crumbly), the vegan Magnum bars and the mango sorbet (that's amazing) with a friendly smile on my face ... then just wandered off without buying anything or saying thank you or anything. Twat. He was probably in a hurry to get to the butchers to ask if they sold veg and then, if they did (some do these days), just walk off without saying thanks or buying that either.

Or do you mean the woman who came into a sandwich bar I was working in during lockdown, big grin on her face and pre explaining that she had some "weird allergies" .. fair enough, so I politely handed her our allergy information chart that's completely updated anytime any new product comes in and, you guessed it, so couldn't be bothered with actually reading that. The she went on to explain that the only part of slices of tomato she's allergic to is the seeds (bullshit) so can we hand remove every single seed in every slice. "Sorry but no". The she started about how she could die if there was any possible cross contamination with anything garlic. Take a wild guess as which sauce she asked for on her sandwich? ... "I can put this garlic sauce on your sandwich but to warn you it does contain real garlic?" ... "Oh that's OK! .. I little bit won't kill me!" she replied smiling ...

(No? ... but I might if you don't get the fuck out of my shop) ..

Stew is the food of the gods.
Really enjoyable to make, too. I listen to a podcast and crack open the wine or cider (for myself) as I do the prep - I find slicing and chopping veg quite therapeutic. Then the frying of the various ingredients and adding them to the pot, deglaze with wine (or usually cider in my case), adding the herbs and bay, top up with wine/cider and then bring gently to a simmer and then enjoy the wonderful smell permeating the house for the next 90 minutes or so until it is ready....

Personally I prefer cooking on the hob to using the oven or a slow cooker but each to their own, all make delicious stews. So relaxing and perfect during these bleak Winter months but I can't resist making stews during the hotter months too. All time favourite is wild rabbit, cider, bacon and seasonal veg, although both venison and pheasant are a close second.

Back