• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is 'Vegan Meat' Just MEAT?

You mean like the hipster who came to my ice cream van last year to ask if we sold vegan ice cream, nodded sagely and silently when I pointed out the vegan vanilla (that's a pain in the arse to scoop because it's crumbly), the vegan Magnum bars and the mango sorbet (that's amazing) with a friendly smile on my face ... then just wandered off without buying anything or saying thank you or anything. Twat. He was probably in a hurry to get to the butchers to ask if they sold veg and then, if they did (some do these days), just walk off without saying thanks or buying that either.

Or do you mean the woman who came into a sandwich bar I was working in during lockdown, big grin on her face and pre explaining that she had some "weird allergies" .. fair enough, so I politely handed her our allergy information chart that's completely updated anytime any new product comes in and, you guessed it, so couldn't be bothered with actually reading that. The she went on to explain that the only part of slices of tomato she's allergic to is the seeds (bullshit) so can we hand remove every single seed in every slice. "Sorry but no". The she started about how she could die if there was any possible cross contamination with anything garlic. Take a wild guess as which sauce she asked for on her sandwich? ... "I can put this garlic sauce on your sandwich but to warn you it does contain real garlic?" ... "Oh that's OK! .. I little bit won't kill me!" she replied smiling ...

(No? ... but I might if you don't get the fuck out of my shop) ..
One reason I got out of the hospitality business.

One I remember was a very vocal woman who announced on arrival she was vegan and demanded everything be cooked separately for her. That was until a local trawler man brought in some fresh caught sea bass and suddenly she was a fish-eating vegan...

To be honest, if they just asked for a quiet word with you and said "look, basically no meat or dairy but I'll eat fish" then no problem, but no, it is all the loud virtue-signalling and demands instead

Last edited:

One I remember was a very vocal woman who announced on arrival she was vegan and demanded everything be cooked separately for her. That as until a local trawler man brought in some fresh caught sea bass and suddenly she was a fish-eating vegan...

To be honest, if they just asked for a quiet word with you and said "look, basically no meat or dairy but I'll eat fish" then no problem, but no, it is all the loud virtue-signalling and demands instead
Big time. It was NaughtyFelid here who first stated I should probably get out of hospitality. That pissed me off at first but then I realised he was right. I haven't changed but some of the customers have, challenging customers have always existed but they're getting more and more diva'ish nowadays and just not worth the headache to me. Let the teenage staff cut their teeth dealing with those types as far as I'm concerned. I was re funding them and kicking them out instead.

Before the vegans, it was the "Let me have blah blah blah for free because I will be writing a tripadvisor review!" blackmailers or self appointed internet social influencers. I kicked them out as well.

Big time. It was NaughtyFelid here who first stated I should probably get out of hospitality. That pissed me off at first but then I realised he was right. I haven't changed but some of the customers have, challenging customers have always existed but they're getting more and more diva'ish nowadays and just not worth the headache to me. Let the teenage staff cut their teeth dealing with those types as far as I'm concerned. I was re funding them and kicking them out instead.

Before the vegans, it was the "Let me have blah blah blah for free because I will be writing a tripadvisor review!" blackmailers or self appointed internet social influencers. I kicked them out as well.
Some people think the principle of "the customer is always right" should be a law... but... they don't seem to even know the ORIGIN of that phrase let along what it actually meant...

It was actually about not having customer service attempt to tell customers what to buy... not about actually agreeing with demands. IE if the customer tells you he wants a red car... don't try to talk him into buying a green one.

Thank God I’ve never been involved in catering. What I do have to put up with is cooking for or eating at a relative of Mrs T.

They are constantly changing what they will and won’t eat. Vegetarian, then will eat (some) fish; then won’t eat any fish. Now don’t like tomatoes in any form (but eat pizza- without tomatoes??!) will eat eggs but not if they look like eggs.

They had decided on their last visit that they don’t drink. OK but nor do we so we’d bought wine specially.

If you serve something it is verbally dissected.

“Oh tomato.” “No, that’s red pepper.”

“Are these leeks?” “Well spotted.”

When you go there:

First course: Bowl of lukewarm thick green liquid resembling pondweed, no bread or roll.

Second course: Anaglypta wallpaper cooked in paste with a scab on it: served with lettuce leaves.

Third course: TBF generally not too bad some sort of crème or some such on crushed biscuit.

I never know whether to eat something first to avoid passing out or to starve for the day so I have to eat what I’m given.

I don’t envy anyone in catering.

Some people think the principle of "the customer is always right" should be a law... but... they don't seem to even know the ORIGIN of that phrase let along what it actually meant...

It was actually about not having customer service attempt to tell customers what to buy... not about actually agreeing with demands. IE if the customer tells you he wants a red car... don't try to talk him into buying a green one.
I think that was an American store owner who invented "The customer is always right.", I can't remember who but some customer/s took that as a licence to try to micro manage places they visited after that which was never going to work because the customer can then dodge the consequences after things go tits up because some staff member was intimidated enough to let the customer/s take over. And then someone decided to cash in by inventing tripadvisor and so here we all are today.

I still havent got over the person who wanted me to deliver to a postcode. No address.
"Havent you satnav?"
"No, I dont need one, Im local and know the area."
"You need a satnav."
"No, Im not stupid"
"I cannot tell you where I am. I got there by satnav."
"I cannot deliver your food then."

Luckily Manager took over, said some things I did not dare to.

They did not get any food that night.

I still havent got over the person who wanted me to deliver to a postcode. No address.
"Havent you satnav?"
"No, I dont need one, Im local and know the area."
"You need a satnav."
"No, Im not stupid"
"I cannot tell you where I am. I got there by satnav."
"I cannot deliver your food then."

Luckily Manager took over, said some things I did not dare to.

They did not get any food that night.
.. or the person could have just found some envelope with the address on it for you or if it was someone else's house, just asked them .... or stepped outside, looked at the number of the place and the street name ... morons.

.. or the person could have just found some envelope with the address on it for you or if it was someone else's house, just asked them .... or stepped outside, looked at the number of the place and the street name ... morons.
heads+asses:doh:

One I remember was a very vocal woman who announced on arrival she was vegan and demanded everything be cooked separately for her. That was until a local trawler man brought in some fresh caught sea bass and suddenly she was a fish-eating vegan...

But I wonder why?
I don't like red meat all that much, but I am a fish loving carnivore, no mistake about it. I don't like the way we mass manufacture meat, and I prefer to eat organic if possible, but this is so intensely personal, I wonder why so many people insist upon making it public knowledge.
Factory farmed animals are generally treated horribly, although I strongly doubt this is the stance they're taking.
I love sea bass, and would probably die for fresh caught. At this moment in time, I can only source it via Tesco or Ocado.

I gather it's a trend, one which will soon be replaced by something else. Animal welfare and nutrition have little to do with it. Similar to the hordes insisting upon gluten free, regardless of intolerance: most likely the result of status signalling than mere virtue.

I think that was an American store owner who invented "The customer is always right.", I can't remember who but some customer/s took that as a licence to try to micro manage places they visited after that which was never going to work because the customer can then dodge the consequences after things go tits up because some staff member was intimidated enough to let the customer/s take over. And then someone decided to cash in by inventing tripadvisor and so here we all are today.
Yeah, IIRC it was a chain department store. But the really dumb part is how it gets mis-used.

..... but I wonder why? ....
His customer was aware that the chef needs to batch cook certain items to then store them in a walk in fridge ready to be re heated. This isn't fresh enough for her. Ten years ago, she (and others like her) would have declared she was a 'foodie' on entering a restaurant but that term is out of fashion now so she pretends to be a vegan instead nowadays. It's also why she (understandably) got excited when a fresh sea bass was brought in and wanted that. What usually happens though is that the chef or manager or owner doesn't look at the eyes of the sea bass. If the eyes are clear, the fisherman's telling the truth and has only just caught the fish. If it's eyes are cloudy, he's being dishonest and the fish has previously been frozen. I used to pay for walk in clear eyed sea bass when they passed that test.

Some people think the principle of "the customer is always right" should be a law...
I think that was an American store owner who invented "The customer is always right.",
Israel is great when it comes to this. The customer is always wrong there, or certainly needs help in choosing. It often works out for the best though as you'll be told for eg ''don't buy that expensive medicine, it's no more effective than this cheaper one here'' etc..

After over 20+ years in retail, I've experienced many numpties but I think they're on the increase with the rise of social media 'enabling' folks to claim some form of stardom.
You mean like the hipster who came to my ice cream van last year to ask if we sold vegan ice cream, nodded sagely and silently when I pointed out the vegan vanilla (that's a pain in the arse to scoop because it's crumbly), the vegan Magnum bars and the mango sorbet (that's amazing) with a friendly smile on my face ... then just wandered off without buying anything or saying thank you or anything. Twat.
I'd hazard a guess that if you had nothing to offer, he'd video himself for ticktok or whatever being outraged that you couldn't cater for his wishes.
In fairness, I think it's a core misunderstanding over the concept of 'influencer'. They are what we once called 'critic' or 'reviewer' in publications but you couldn't accurately see how much their reviews were followed. With social media you can see how much influence their opinions reach.
Wannabe influencers, however, just see them flexing their status and wealth and think "I'll have some of that!" Several times we were approached by twerps saying "Hi - I've got a following of over 200. Would you like me to review your stuff?". Er ... no. It's the same essential scam as "please do some work for me - you'll be paid in publicity.
I always stood by the maxim: "The customer isn't always right - but they are always a customer."

Israel is great when it comes to this. The customer is always wrong there, or certainly needs help in choosing. It often works out for the best though as you'll be told for eg ''don't buy that expensive medicine, it's no more effective than this cheaper one here'' etc..
Oh yes, a good salesman will try to make a deal you like and help you evaluate options before making a final decision.

I've vowed not to work in hospitality anymore but if I absolutely had to? ....

*wavy line wavy lines*

"Hi, how can I help you."
"Can I get the carrot and spinach steak."
"Absolutely! .. are you paying card or cash?"
"Card."
"No problem!. Are you left or right handed?"
*silence*
"Sorry, I'll give you a bit more time,"
"What difference does that make? right handed?."
"Ahhhh ..OK.. not to worry only it's national left handed awareness week so we have to ask customers to insert their card into the machine using their left hand please."
"Is that really necessary?"
"Yeeah, sorry, it is. Company policy on inclusiveness. Left handed people's rights are being ignored. Did you see that youtube documentary that's been mentioned in The Guardian?. It's terrible!. Nelson Mandela was left handed you know?."
*vegan customer either walks out or puts the card in left handed*
"Ah no, hang on I'm being stupid. I'll have to cancel the transaction. Hang on. pheww .. here's your receipt to show that was cancelled. My fault sorry. Left handed awareness week was last week. I'm going to need to ask you to re insert your card with whichever hand you feel most comfortable with using please."
.... "So that was the carrot and spinach steak wasn't it? .. I'm sorry but the next delivery of those is tomorrow. Can I interest you in anything else?."

Remember. It's them against you. Abuse them any chance you get.

I've vowed not to work in hospitality anymore but if I absolutely had to? ....

*wavy line wavy lines*

"Hi, how can I help you."
"Can I get the carrot and spinach steak."
I think at that point, you could have offered them the opportunity to get it. There's the kitchen, here's a knife, the oven's over there...

I think at that point, you could have offered them the opportunity to get it. There's the kitchen, here's a knife, the oven's over there...
I've just found this on facebook ..

avegannugs.jpg

I thought this was someone taking the piss at first but no, it's real so:

'I bought some carrots made out of pork last week. They're called 'parrots.'

(I hope they've got a sense of humour)

Last edited:
I've just found this on facebook ..

View attachment 62626
I thought this was someone taking the piss at first but no, it's real so:

'I bought some carrots made out of pork last week. They're called 'parrots.'

(I hope they've got a sense of humour)

“Enjoy” them while you can:

Fake Meat Was Supposed to Save the World. It Became Just Another Fad

Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods wanted to upend the world’s $1 trillion meat industry. But plant-based meat is turning out to be a flop.”

maximus otter

Not surprised.

“Enjoy” them while you can:

Fake Meat Was Supposed to Save the World. It Became Just Another Fad

Beyond Meat and Impossible Foods wanted to upend the world’s $1 trillion meat industry. But plant-based meat is turning out to be a flop.”

maximus otter
I've been here before talking about my very good friend who is a vegetarian. Not because of ethical or welfare concerns, but she literally cannot bear the taste or sensation of meat. Which includes 'fake' meat. And how hard it was to find food for her that didn't include some kind of ersatz meat-subtitute. No, she's actually quite happy with a plain salad, hold the 'fake-on' bits to scatter over the top...

Eating Chicken Without Killing Chicken

A US company, Upside Foods, has regulatory approval for lab-grown meat and is aiming to sell 'cultivated chicken' to restaurants this year and plans to have it in grocery stores by 2028.

Eating chicken without killing chicken? https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64381704
Nice in theory but does this lay the door open to other lab-grown meat protein?
If it goes down well, will we see "Hey! Ever wanted to be a cannibal but didn't want to break the law? Well, LongPig Inc. have just the thing for you!"

Nice in theory but does this lay the door open to other lab-grown meat protein?
If it goes down well, will we see "Hey! Ever wanted to be a cannibal but didn't want to break the law? Well, LongPig Inc. have just the thing for you!"
I'm sure I read an SF short story like that years ago. IIRC they just marketed various lab grown "meat" products without saying what they were meant to be but the most popular turned out to be long pig. Edit: could be Arthur C Clarke's "Food of the Gods."

I've been here before talking about my very good friend who is a vegetarian. Not because of ethical or welfare concerns, but she literally cannot bear the taste or sensation of meat. Which includes 'fake' meat. And how hard it was to find food for her that didn't include some kind of ersatz meat-subtitute. No, she's actually quite happy with a plain salad, hold the 'fake-on' bits to scatter over the top...
Oh, yeah, good veggie food is tasty enough you don't need fake meat.

At my veggie school, there was quite a wide range of meals - the most popular was the veggie pizza but my personal favourite was eggs, beans 'n' chips!
Coming from my background (working class London kid in the seventies), it blew my mind that egg 'n' chips was vegetarian 'cause I'd been raised by folks who could only think of salads being suitable.

Tried a few veggie foods over the years they ranged from awful to ok ish
but today I tried one I did actually like, believe it or not the McDonnell's
plant burger it's no doubt a matter of taste but I liked it.
:popc:
I've heard it's really tasty, even liked amongst none veggies and vegans but they refuse to serve it with dairy cheese .. to the point in some stores where they won't allow you to even order dairy cheese as a side order. I've no idea if that's true or not? ..

Back