• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Island On An Island?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Was listening to Dr Hannah Fry's science slot on BBC 6Music this morning, and she was discussing islands on islands, that is, an island in a lake that has an island on it in a lake. Some say there are islands on islands in islands too. But she mentioned somewhere I think was called Moose Cove (?), though a web search doesn't clear up the island on an island on an island matter. There is one in Canada, though.

Anyone know any more?

Yes, she mentioned a couple, but it was the potential for an island on an island on an island that was the most significant matter. They seem to be a lot rarer and difficult to establish.

Yes, she mentioned a couple, but it was the potential for an island on an island on an island that was the most significant matter. They seem to be a lot rarer and difficult to establish.

This may come down to size.

What are the minimum and maximum dimensions for an island?

Greenland? Borneo?

Borneo might count, but I suspect it's somewhere smaller she was thinking of. Part of another country, for example.

Many thanks, @EnolaGaia ! And there at the end of the page is the one she was talking about, Moose Boulder, which nobody has been able to definitively find, despite an expedition (maybe they went at the wrong time of day/year?).

Was listening to Dr Hannah Fry's science slot on BBC 6Music this morning, and she ... mentioned somewhere I think was called Moose Cove (?), though a web search doesn't clear up the island on an island on an island matter. There is one in Canada, though.

Anyone know any more?

These types of lake / island arrangements are called "recursive lakes" / "recursive islands." Wikipedia provides listings for both.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recur...lands_in_lakes_on_islands_in_lakes_on_islands

Enola's link mentions an alleged "Moose Boulder", which is supposed to be on a lake, on an island on a lake, on an island on Lake Superior, but it hasn't been confirmed.

There's one (if not more) in Loch Maree in Scottishland. They can be seen quite easily on goggle maps.

The rather pleasing to the eye Calum MacLean has swam to one in the BBC Alba programme 'Dhan Uisge'. Unfortunately that particular episode is not available on iplayer at the moment but others are*

As a variation on the theme there is the Tongan island of Niuafo'ou which has a lake on an island in a lake on an island in the sea.

*There are a couple of episodes on youtube but not the Loch Maree one.

Good one, @pandacracker - just checked it out. Only letdown is I couldn't see any islands on the lochs on an island on a loch.

Good one, @pandacracker - just checked it out. Only letdown is I couldn't see any islands on the lochs on an island on a loch.

“Loch Maree contains five large wooded islands and over 60 smaller ones,[8][9]many of which have their own lochans. The largest island, Eilean Sùbhainn, contains a loch that itself contains an island,[10] a situation that occurs nowhere else in Great Britain.[citation needed].”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loch_Maree

:confused:

maximus otter

And GB is an island too.

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Back