• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Isle of Wight Mysteries

A

Anonymous

I'm going to hopefully be writing a book about the non-ghost related mysteries of the Isle of Wight, off the south coast of England.

If anybody has any stories or information about the mysteries of the island I would be eternally grateful.

Just out of curiousity, why non-ghost related? Only 'cos the only mysteries I've heard from the island are ghost stories, but I hope you come up with some others.

The reason I don't want any ghost stories is because there's already been 5 books by one author on the subject. I'm just trying to find out some different mysterious events.

Sensible idea. I haven't been there for many years, but I hope you keep us posted.

In 'The Unexplained' (the part work from the 80s) there was a story about a girl from the Isle of Wight called 'Lucy Lightfoot', who supposed disappeared at a church on the island and was never seen again. It also mentioned an old legend about a knight who went off the crusades and his girlfriend was called 'Lucy Lightfoot'. To be honest the tale seemed to be a bit over egged. Gist seemed to be that the 19th century girl disappeared back in time and reappeared in the records as a crusader's girlfriend.

Anyway if you go back through 'The Unexplained' you should get the tale and the names of the places.

(edit) Found this
http://www.pagans.demon.co.uk/wight/myths/lucylft.htm

Seems a lot of hokum actually, but I recall being quite excited by it when aged about 14!

Here is a link with loads of books on the Isle of Wight

http://www.invectis.co.uk/iow/booklist.htm

Wasn't there a story about Queen Victoria's residence on the Isle of Wight? When she was there, she buried a ruby or something in a casket somewhere in the grounds of the palace. I also recall a computer game, an adventure game, for the Spectrum that came out ages ago that was tied in with this legend.

I had heard the Lucy Lightfoot story a few years ago now, but I'm afraid it's just a local legend. Which is a shame because I really liked the story.

Fortean Vectis - FTMB Alert!

On 7th August, myself and The Vectian (!) are taking our well-deserved break from the stresses of living in London and spending two weeks on the grand Isle of Wight.

Are there any Fortean readers / MB'ers who'd like to meet up for a chat, note comparison, book discussion etc.etc. on the Island? Just for a day's meet in a Wight hostelry of Fortean significance (like, so many haunted pubs, so little time to see them all!).

Post here with recommended places to visit.
This will be quite a challenge, since The Vectian was born and bred on the Island and since visiting relations, holidays, funerals etc. our combined knowledge of vectian trivia is quite extensive - but we're more than happy to gather more traditions, legends, pamphlets, books, strange photographs, unsettling tribal artifacts from Niton and so on. The Newport ghostwalk is a serious consideration for we've been on it and we're willing to do it again!

For suggestions of venue/day/time, PM me soon!

Let's keep the wierdness of Wight to the forefront of strangeosity!

:)

Isle of Wight Fortean Society and Forteana

Funny you should mention the Isle of Wight today as I was just going to post something...

I live in London but my girlfriends Mum and Dad have retired to the Island and, because the girlf is on a three-week dig in Northumbria, they've sent me up a letter telling me all about the newly formed Isle of Wight Fortean Society.

Their next meeting is tomorrow, too early for you chaps but I thought you might like to know there at forteans on the Island and other IoW listers would be, I'm sure, keen to hear Mike Jay talk and meet other forteans. Details from their website below.

I'd say you should check out the Isle of Wight Waxworks in Brading which has a great little fortean section of furry trout, Fiji mermaids, horned hares and other spooky composite beasts. The building is supposed to be haunted too.

There's also a fantastic Medieval lighthouse called 'The Peppar Pot' at the end of a footpath near Blackgang Chine, though further inland and up-hill. There's a great view from there. I've just had a hunt for the book we found it in but I can't dig it out. It's called 'Isle of Wight Folklore' or 'Folklore of the Isle of Wight'. Something like that. Is should be on one of the orange, OS maps.

Anyway, IW FS (must remeber to let Gordon Rutter know about them when he's back from his hollyhocks:

The Isle of Wight Fortean Society (IWFS) was founded on Robert Anton Wilson Day, 23rd July, 2004 by fortean writer Jack Phoenix and composer James Nye, who also works part time at Isle of Wight branch of Ottakar's. To see a press release, click here.

The Society is dedicated to the non-partisan exploration and discussion of strange phenomena and anomalous experience. Membership of the IWFS is free. You can sign up to receive mailouts of forthcoming events or new books of interest, either through snailmail or email. To do so, either email Jack Phoenix or pop into the Newport, Isle of Wight branch of Ottakar's and leave your details with a member of staff at the counter. Alternatively you may send your details to IWFS, c/o James Nye, Ottakar's, 118 High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight PO30 1TP. You can also visit the Ottakar's Isle of Wight website here .

The IWFS takes as its inspiration the writings and philosophy of Charles Fort.

Fort's works also inspired Bob Rickard to set up the Fortean Times (originally just called 'The News') a magazine of newspaper clippings about weird and wonderful phenomena, articles by researchers, book reviews and much more. First published in November 1973, over the course of more than 30 years, Bob's magazine has become a highly polished, critically acclaimed and hugely inspiring publication, with an international readership and a broad range of enthusiastic and devoted admirers and contributors. The IWFS hopes to work in partnership with Ottakar's plc and Fortean Times to bring to the Island some of the finest speakers on strange phenomena and anomalous experience.

STOP PRESS! The IWFS is proud to annouce that its first honarary members are Robert Anton Wilson, Ken Campbell and Bob Rickard.

Our inaugural event is a talk on Thursday 29th July, 2004 at 6:30pm at Ottakar's, High Street, Newport, Isle of Wight. The talk is given by Fortean Times contributor, author Mike Jay who will be discussing his book on the extraordinary case of James Tilly Matthews and The Air Loom Gang. Mike first gave a talk on this fascinating subject at the Fortean Times UnConvention 2002 in London, and his research into this intriguing history led to a wonderful, critically acclaimed book which has recently come out in paperback. For more information, telephone Ottakar's on (01983) 527927

Cheers for the prompt reply, Skitster! If I had my way, I'd have been down to the island to be at the grand opening - but work forbids me!

We've been to the Pepperpot - it's a very odd building. The Vectian comes from Brighstone (quite nearby to Blackgang). We haven't been to Brading yet - it was on this years itinery to visit the Roman villa.
I can't find my copy of Isle of Wight Folklore (memo: get another from T.I.) but I do have all five volumes of Ghosts of The Isle of Wight.

I'll definitely chase up the IWFS.

Stormkhan said:
We've been to the Pepperpot - it's a very odd building. The Vectian comes from Brighstone (quite nearby to Blackgang). We haven't been to Brading yet - it was on this years itinery to visit the Roman villa.
I can't find my copy of Isle of Wight Folklore (memo: get another from T.I.) but I do have all five volumes of Ghosts of The Isle of Wight.

I'll definitely chase up the IWFS.

Let them know that our spies have informed us of their presence. That should scare 'em.

I've got the first IoW ghost book, I collect self-published local mystery books but I'm not so keen on the IoW ones. They all seem a bit too confident and sure of themselves. I think there's a video as well.

The Unexplained part-work had a few bits of the IoW too. It I remember correctly (and I probably don't), it was an earth-mysteries thing tying some ley-lines to the Roman cockerel-headed man mosaic in Brading and Mithras worship. Or something.

Oh, the Old Comical pub, down a side street in Sanddown is about the best boozer in that area. Off the beaten track and has some good beer. A few Sunday's back I was ready to kill everyone on the High Street when I went in and came out all sweetness and light. I'm very grateful to it.

Hope you have a good time.

The Unexplained did quite a bit on IoW - including the time slip mystery of Lucy Lightfoot.
The Earth mystery bit is about the geological fold that runs almost symetrically through the island from the Needles to Culver. I've actually walked the entire "Dragon Path" as it was known.

I've always liked The Three Bishops in Brighstone - when the "Saga Louts" suddenly arrive by coach, it gets really funny. The Sun Inn at Brook has been extensively (and very tastefully) refurbished and is well worth a visit, as is the Crown at Shorewell.

I'm in contact with members of the IWFS, we've got a "meet" going and tonight, I'm rushing around like an idiot getting ready for Vectis tomorrow.

Huzzah!
:D

I'm really sorry we didn't get to meet you, BriceFandango! By the time I'd picked up your post - from a Net Cafe in Newport - and replied to it, it was obviously too late! There will be other days!

I met said member of the Vectis Fortean group - James is an intelligent, interesting person to talk to ... even though he was somewhat under the weather!

Some of the interesting bits were going to Brading Waxworks (on recommendation of James) and enjoying a fun display including an "undiscover'd murder", a buried skeleton, an end-of-pier display and a pseudo-Victorian "freakshow" including a Feegee Mermaid and a life-sized yeti!
There was also a nice country walk to Bembridge where there is an airport where Cockrell tested the first hovercraft under the guise of a crop-duster (the first government cover-up?) and part of the original Primal Forest of pre-historic Britain and is, quite frankly, awe-inspiring.

Please - Vectis Forteans! Keep in contact! The island is worth it!

Stormkhan said:
and part of the original Primal Forest of pre-historic Britain and is, quite frankly, awe-inspiring.

oo-tah! Where's that?

Go to Bembridge, head towards the Windmill - an excellent English Heritage location, by the way; all the wooden mill works inside have been restored - and follow the bridal path down the hill from the mill (I'm a poet and don't know it!). It's called Steyne Wood. Wonderfully quiet and bosky, despite a holiday caravan site nearby it's a really peaceful and somewhat mystical woodland.
Oozing with atmosphere!

At the other end of the path you can walk up to see Bembridge airport where the construction and testing of the first hovercraft was held under strict secrecy. They told everyone they were building a new type of crop duster!

Wow! The Isle of Wights own Area 51!:eek!!!!:

Using the wonders of modern computing, I shall attempt to present photographs of the places in question ...

If I was that much of a show-off, I'd have been clever enough to put all the pictures onto one posting.

Too tekernikal fer me!

Sorry for dragging this one up....but I'm off to the IOW next week. Any suggestions of a Fortean nature?

Victoria's Isle of Wight retreat Osborne House is quite fun: it was one of the first buildings since Roman times to be fitted with central heating. But Victoria would never allow it to be used. One of her son-in-laws was Russian, and he ended up going back home because he found Osborne House unbearably cold.

Is it true that so many people turned up for the legendary/notorious Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 that the island began to sink into the English Channel under their collective weight?

Is it true that so many people turned up for the legendary/notorious Isle of Wight Festival in 1970 that the island began to sink into the English Channel under their collective weight?

No chance, as everyone knows that the IOW can safely hold the entire population of the world. Standing room only mind you.

No chance, as everyone knows that the IOW can safely hold the entire population of the world. Standing room only mind you.

Maybe it was the deafening blast of Joni Mitchell rockin' the isle to its foundations?

It's probably of a kind somewhat different to the type of 'mysteries' intended in the title but there's a documentary series on the Damien Nettles disappearance currently available on BBC iPlayer - under the title Unsolved: The Boy Who Disappeared.

Link here.

Last edited:
Back