• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Isle of Wight Mysteries

...Sort of like Royston Vasey meets Cornwall...

Isn't Royston Vasey meets Cornwall just...well...Cornwall?

I've only been to the island a couple of times - years ago. One little thing that has always stuck in my mind is a headstone very close by the porch of one or other of the older churches. If my memory is correct, it had the snidest, most judgemental and begrudging epitaph I ever remember seeing on a memorial - I think to a woman whose morals and/or behaviour were considered somewhat lacking by the the author. Whoever it was had clearly really pissed someone off. I wish I'd taken a photo, and have looked for it a couple of times on the net - but without success.

I love the IOW. Visit every summer, as it’s where my dad was born and brought up, and it’s like a second home. The church at Whippingham is good for a visit. Queen Victoria used to go to services there, her daughter and son in law are buried in the church and Louis Mountbatten’s parents are in the graveyard. Also there is a grave with a skull and crossbones, and IIRC the graves of a load of young sailors who died in (?) a measles epidemic on a training ship.
Most of the Fortean stuff is ghosts tho...
Oh, and yes.... very Royston Vasey. Think my dad’s lot escaped the general inbreeding due to my grandma being a foreigner. From Yorkshire....

Wight
wʌɪt/
noun
  1. archaicdialect
    a person of a specified kind.
    "he always was an unlucky wight"
    • literary
      a spirit, ghost, or other supernatural being.
So the question becomes if there is only one supernatural being on the island or if all the denizens are supernatural?

Wight
wʌɪt/
noun
  1. archaicdialect
    a person of a specified kind.
    "he always was an unlucky wight"
    • literary
      a spirit, ghost, or other supernatural being.
So the question becomes if there is only one supernatural being on the island or if all the denizens are supernatural?
It (kinda) matches the Isle of Man.

Back