• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ISS (International Space Station) Is Fake

Vardoger

Make mine a 99
Many videos on Youtube claims to show how the zero gravity on ISS videos are fake and therefore must have been filmed on ground or the Vomit Comet.
Also: they use CGI to create effects inside the space station. Some of these videos are posted by flat earthers, who are not exactly credible.

Last edited:
Have they an explanation for the fact that we can all physically see the thing?
Not really an explanation as such. Flat earthers don't believe space exists, so the ISS has to be fake. Debunkers have actually filmed it in transit across the moon from two different locations at the same time, but it's not enough for the space deniers. The usual explanations are that it's an aircraft much nearer to Earth than we're being told (by NASA, who are sun worshipping pagans), or some kind of an air balloon. The usual space denier explanation for space rockets, incidentally, is that they simply balloons filled with helium.

What does society do with people who are so hostile to reason that they are too stupid to accept a fact that humanity has known for centuries, and generally on which the settlement of their own country relied upon? Yes, I'm an American, and most Flat Earthers are my countrymen, and the USA could never have been settled without knowledge that Earth was a sphere. Personally I blame RELIGION for Flat Earthers, as they don't want to admit that God is not in the heavens, ergo, space must be a lie, and the Earth must be flat as it implies in the Bible. I don't like cultists. They believe stupid things that make people stupid.

A few years ago, after watching that episode, I finally got around to looking up the origins of the "Pi is exactly three" nonsense. It's even stupider than I had imagined. Apparently, it's from a description of a temple, circular in plan, about a hundred cubits across and about three hundred cubits around the circumference. An entirely reasonable approximation in a general description, taken literally in the dumbest way imaginable.

An alarmingly large percentage of my fellow Murricans ain't got a lick o' sense.

A few years ago, after watching that episode, I finally got around to looking up the origins of the "Pi is exactly three" nonsense. It's even stupider than I had imagined. Apparently, it's from a description of a temple, circular in plan, about a hundred cubits across and about three hundred cubits around the circumference. An entirely reasonable approximation in a general description, taken literally in the dumbest way imaginable.

An alarmingly large percentage of my fellow Murricans ain't got a lick o' sense.

“It happened in Indiana. Although the attempt to legislate pi was ultimately unsuccessful, it did come pretty close. In 1897 Representative T.I. Record of Posen county introduced House Bill #246 in the Indiana House of Representatives. The bill, based on the work of a physician and amateur mathematician named Edward J. Goodwin (Edwin in some accounts), suggests not one but three numbers for pi, among them 3.2, as we shall see. The punishment for unbelievers I have not been able to learn, but I place no credence in the rumor that you had to spend the rest of your natural life in Indiana.

Just as people today have a hard time accepting the idea that the speed of light is the speed limit of the universe, Goodwin and Record apparently couldn’t handle the fact that pi was not a rational number. “Since the rule in present use [presumably pi equals 3.14159…] fails to work …, it should be discarded as wholly wanting and misleading in the practical applications,” the bill declared. Instead, mathematically inclined Hoosiers could take their pick among the following formulae:

(1) The ratio of the diameter of a circle to its circumference is 5/4 to 4. In other words, pi equals 16/5 or 3.2

(2) The area of a circle equals the area of a square whose side is 1/4 the circumference of the circle. Working this out algebraically, we see that pi must be equal to 4.

(3) The ratio of the length of a 90 degree arc to the length of a segment connecting the arc’s two endpoints is 8 to 7. This gives us pi equal to the square root of 2 x 16/7, or about 3.23.

There may have been other values for pi as well; the bill was so confusingly written that it’s impossible to tell exactly what Goodwin was getting at. Mathematician David Singmaster says he found six different values in the bill, plus three more in Goodwin’s other writings and comments, for a total of nine.”

https://www.straightdope.com/column...gislature-once-pass-a-law-saying-pi-equals-3/

The Wikipedia article on the issue.

maximus otter

“It happened in Indiana. Although the attempt to legislate pi was ultimately unsuccessful, it did come pretty close. In 1897 Representative T.I. Record of Posen county introduced House Bill #246 in the Indiana House of Representatives.
To be fair, this was back in 1897, but as the dihydrogen monoxide prank reveals, plenty of people are still far from up to basic scientific literacy.

I think a lot of those stances, again, come from religious influence.

People get well pissed at the thought that god, or gods didn't make such an important number 3, instead of 3.14 etc.
They get upset that the year is not exactly 365 days, or that the moon does not take a calendar month to complete its orbit etc.

They get wound up at what they perceive should be perfection. It is the same with biological considerations. They don't see the imperfections in biological systems and organisms that are the result of not only natural selection but disease, disorders and more.

They can't get their heads around the fact that nothing is perfect, nothing is designed and nothing is divine.

Back