It All Happened In A Creative Burst

skinny

Antediluvian
Are you game to share a little bit of you with fellow board members and the lurking thousands beyond? What have you made in those inspired moments? Stories, poems, films, songs, paintings, digital artworks, mashups ~ basically anything you're proud of that we can experience through these mere screens. I want this thread to become a repository of the creative brilliance that the wit on the board merely hints at. I realise I may be casting pearls here, but what the hey. I like what I've done and think others will too. Please don't post really personal stuff on a whim or on the back of a six-pack - it's be a shame to have good stuff pruned the next day. Only put it on if you're shameless enough to stand in the face of a bit of criticism too. I'm sure 90% of feedback would be positive, given the nature of the board (and its frankly peerless quality of moderation... am I off green yet or what?! :lol: ).

I've got some other stuff I'd like to share once I've tested the waters of (dis)interest with my toe using this:
The Illumination of Neil Armstrong
This thing I threw together one afternoon while the boss was away (when I was seconded - my regular boss wouldn't give a rat's). I hadn't used any editing software before, and was toying with Windows Movie Maker and listening to Ambient music in the background. It sort of just happened.

Feedback welcome but not obligatory. Hope you enjoy it.

rynner2

Great Old One
I liked it! Restful and thought-provoking too. Reminiscent of the end sequence of the film 2001. (But it went beyond Armstrong - he didn't have a lunar buggy to play with!) A good afternoon's work. 8)

I don't have anything like that, but something I'm proud of "that we can experience through these mere screens" are the photographic websites I produced over the last few years. And they didn't happen "in a creative burst" - it took weeks and months of selecting the images, and putting them in the required order before uploading them. (And if I include the time I spent travelling, and taking the photos, it took years!)

I've given the links before, but this thread is an excuse to give them again! ;)

The first two linked websites comprise New Bridge at Hayle, which follows the construction of the bridge during 2011 and 2012 across a tidal creek.

http://haylenewbridge.weebly.com/index.html
http://haylenewbridgenext.weebly.com/index.html

(There was so much material that the original website got unwieldy, so it was split into two parts. Towards the end of the building they decided to name the bridge the Jubilee Bridge, but by then the website(s) had been on line for some time, so I didn't change the title.)

Nearly all of those photos are presented in the order they were taken, to show the progress of the building works.

But the third website is different:

Cornwall - Tide's Reach
http://cornwalltidesreach.weebly.com/index.html

This shows the Cornish coast and tidal rivers, from the Tamar clockwise round to Wadebridge. It's not as complete as I'd like, and probably never will be now, but on the whole I'm proud of it.

These photos are arranged in geographical order, so adjacent photos might have been taken years apart! Some places I frequently revisited, others I only saw the one time.

I have many more photos, so perhaps I'll buckle down to a new web site next winter!

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
I have quite a bit of music on youtube, some of it more paletable than others, haven't been that prolific in the last year or two, but if I had to pick a couple of favourites it would be these two Karl Jenkins/Doctor Who themed videos, music is my own arrangements.

Dies Irae: Voc robots

Sanctus Cyberia

I keep meaning to to a third at some point but haven't decided which track/baddie to use.

Frideswide

Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)
rynner2 said:
I have many more photos, so perhaps I'll buckle down to a new web site next winter!
I hope you do - just off to look at the tidal reach one.

Go for it! :yeay:

Frideswide

Princess (PeteByrdie Certificated)
rynner2 said:
I hope you do - just off to look at the tidal reach one.

Go for it! :yeay:

skinny

Antediluvian
rynner
Mercury Crest
OWB

Thanks for getting the ball rolling and giving us a peek into the world of you. I am currently on a month's leave and finally have time to get inside some quality online content at my leisure. Much appreciated.

Rynner and MC, I'm currently viewing and reading your fascinating content to OWB's audio brilliance. The soothing visions of Cornwall's lunging tides doesn't really go too well with "Modular Arse Pt10", but I'm sure things will sync up eventually.

OWB, is that your masterful hand at the helm in the above-mentioned track? That's quite a wall of capacitors you have there - your own studio in-home?

I'm in.

MY YOU TUBE PAGE

Promos / music videos / some ads.

I'm 90 views away from reaching the magical 400,000 visits but I'm quite chuffed I have 257 subscribers.

And if you look at the little pic on the header...that's me....Greco stylee ....

Enjoy!

skinny

Antediluvian
rynner2 said:
I liked it! Restful and thought-provoking too. Reminiscent of the end sequence of the film 2001. (But it went beyond Armstrong - he didn't have a lunar buggy to play with!) A good afternoon's work. 8)
Glad you enjoyed it. It is meant to be contemplative. (I realise that isn't Armstrong in most of the images. I could name every Apollo crew by heart, and just about every Gemini and Mercury mission too. Massive moonrace buff here. I didn't mean for the images to be of Armstrong alone, but rather of the spirit of that 10 year endeavour. There's a kind of disclaimer in the video description. I was interested in what that event means for us as a species - are we now what we were prior to touchdown on what he called "another heavenly body">? My personal view is that we are now part of the second wave, not just due to the moon landing but the massive technological lurch we've made into space and into cyberspace over the past 60 years. I think the dimensions of existence that are likely to follow will be "peopled" not by us but by a variance. That's the question I'm raising there. We're still plodding, but they'll streak ahead quite naturally. I wonder if their future mundane would pop our tiny minds the way our current mundane would likely blow the minds of those ancestors we commemorate during today's WWI centenary.

OneWingedBird said:
I keep meaning to to a third at some point but haven't decided which track/baddie to use.
Where did you get the audio for that Hermione Granger video - hilarious subversion of the franchise there. Quite brilliant.

Bit of external pressure to spur on those long-delayed projects. Your fans are waiting :) I've got a few items waiting to go forward too. Keep us abreast of progress.

skinny

Antediluvian
Moooksta said:
I'm in.

MY YOU TUBE PAGE

Promos / music videos / some ads.

I'm 90 views away from reaching the magical 400,000 visits but I'm quite chuffed I have 257 subscribers.

And if you look at the little pic on the header...that's me....Greco stylee ....

Enjoy!
Thanks, mooks. At a quick glance it looks like you're right inside the franchise. Is digital animation (sorry if I'm limiting the parameters of your art) what you do? Could you link some of your personal favourites from your portfolio?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian

skinny

Antediluvian
Doesn't need to be, Carlos. Thanks for your links. I look forward to this. Do I recall you posting some of your work previously?

Quite a mixture of creative work already, and the bits of backstory are interesting too. Contributions muchly appreciated.

rynner2

Great Old One
dreeness said:
Moooksta said:
I'm 90 views away from reaching the magical 400,000 visits
Well beyond 400,000 now.
:)
I've often noticed a boost to my daily viewing figures after posting the URLs here, so I just went to check. Tide's Reach usually averages 40 - 50 per day, but this time something odd happened; it peaked at 93 on Saturday, the day before I posted the Urls! Maybe the website has precognition! :madeyes:

(As I'm on a free package, I only get basic stats, which show the figures for the latest 31 days - that score of 93 was the highest shown. Hayle bridge figures are much lower, generally below 10 per day. But I don't get a visitor count.)

dreeness said:
Moooksta said:
I'm 90 views away from reaching the magical 400,000 visits
Well beyond 400,000 now.
:)
:grouphug:
Excellent...excellent....should I have make use of You Tube's advertising income????

skinny said:
Could you link some of your personal favourites from your portfolio?
Of course....

THE (Oslo)
STAR (Copenhagen)
WARS (Stockholm)
...in the correct order of viewing.

The !Gubi family's tour of Scotland...never edited...but a taste of the footage.

Older "directed by" reel though does have a taste of the Fortean about it.

Quite possibly the worst music video ever made...the result of a disinterested star, NTSC filming, too little budget and not enough time.

This is what I get paid for at the moment but I am trying to do something about it...get back into production.

My roles vary...I call myself a "preditor" as I produce, direct and edit.

Occasionally I will shoot as cameraman but I'd rather leave that to a professional...and that way I can be the "creative".

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
Where did you get the audio for that Hermione Granger video - hilarious subversion of the franchise there. Quite brilliant.
It originally came from the long defunct technicalvirgin.com, the track is from 2003 and predates the Harry Potter footage by a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cG-6AP8DIOU

and the sister video advocating another alternative

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwpqJ_ntRSU

There's a sad story to it actually, about how the actress lost her job on children's television after that vid came back to haunt her. :(

The modular synth built into a wardrobe (modular furniture!) is indeed at work on the Jenkins covers.

OneWingedBird

Beloved of Ra
That's some bloody amazing editing on Died At The Weekend. shock:

It must have taken you forever. Nice work.

OneWingedBird said:
That's some bloody amazing editing on Died At The Weekend.

It must have taken you forever. Nice work.
Thank you One Winged Bird. If you have a chance check Dead Monroe's "Fever", that's the edit I really like....took a week to nail down.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
@skinny thanks for bringing me over to this thread, here's a sample of one of my most recent oil paintings. Oil on canvas, 24H x 18W''

And just a little recent rough pencil doodle of a curvy Eve.

And finally a sample of one of my digital efforts.

I do a lot of work that's just for myself, which doesn't usually get seen by anyone else apart from my girlfriend or family. There's an example of my private painting over on this thread, http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/sleep-paralysis-in-a-dream-within-a-dream.27978/

Last edited:

rynner2

Great Old One
@skinny thanks for bringing me over to this thread, here's a sample of one of my most recent oil paintings. Oil on canvas, 24H x 18W''

This picture only showed the man's cap when I first looked at this post. It was only when I scrolled down to see the whole thing that I realised it wasn't a steam punk image, showing smoke from the funnel of a locomotive! :oops:

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Did it take a long time to get to the point where you ditched the job?
I'm interested, because I'd like to do art and writing full-time myself.
I really don't want to wait until I'm retired before I finally do what I want.
Do it! I'm sure you wouldn't regret the move. It didn't take me that long but I am quite reckless. The last time I worked for someone else was 2009. And that was about a fortnight :D

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
The more I look at your Michael Collins work, the more it haunts me. Truly an intriguing piece.

Are you living in West Cork at present?
Yeah, well actually between Bournemouth and West Cork roughly equal amounts.

FrKadash

Justified & Ancient
Here's one of my largest and quickest pieces from last year, took a couple of days to complete. It's oil on wood, 25H x 19W''

Here's Dave's Gibbet.

Last edited: