It All Happened In A Creative Burst

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I am off until next Wednesday so I went into Lancaster to Williamsons Park with my camera. Here are a couple of shots I took of Ashton Memorial that I quite like.

15_ Memorial steps internet internet.jpg

20 Memorial view edit internet.jpg

I bloody love the camera I use, a Fuji X100F and recently bought the 50mm prime lens.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...I bloody love the camera I use, a Fuji X100F and recently bought the 50mm prime lens.

I love photography, but have never been a camera nerd. However, although I've never been an avid follower of the camera press I do run an eye over the odd article every now and again - seems that 50mm prime lenses are getting quite a lot of love right now.

Nice pictures. I really like the contrasting angles of the steps in the first one.

If you don't mind a bit of advice, I'd say - regarding the second - that you need to be aware of your natural lean. I'm terrible for this myself, and I think it's something a lot of photographers have to address. Quite often, when I actually want to get lines parallel to the frame, everything can look fine when I view the shot as a whole, but the result is slightly off; and, unfortunately, very straight lines slightly off always draw the eye.

My advice is to find the shot you want to make, then move your attention to the most obvious straight line and concentrate totally on getting that lined up, then return to the overall picture. When you've reached that final stage you may actually feel that you are unbalanced - because you are compensating for your natural lean to one side or another.

If you weren't after a perfectly level image in the first place, then feel free to tell me to bugger off and mind my own business.

Last edited:

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm always happy to take constructive comments. :)

I was irked after the event to see that the bottom line on the second photo wasn't straight. I want to go back at some point and try to get both lines straight. Obviously I was stood at a slight angle.

I am also learning how to use Lightroom and Photoshop properly. After I posted this I darkened the sky a little bit and lightened the exposure a little on the stained glass window.

I also want to go back and try it again when the sky is clear as I'd like to get the contrast of the blue sky being darkened in black and white.

The X100F is a street camera and the 23mm lens is brilliant at getting lots of detail into a photo but can be limiting. The 50mm lens transforms the camera, but if you want to take nature photography or something needing a zoom it isn't the camera for you.

I am waiting to buy the wide angle lens that can also be purchased for the X100F and then it will be more versatile.

I also have an Olympus (I broke Olympus by the way) EM1 MkII I bought second hand. Evenetually I want a macro and a zoom lens for that.

Spookdaddy

Cuckoo
Reaction score
...The X100F is a street camera and the 23mm lens is brilliant at getting lots of detail into a photo but can be limiting...

I'm very envious. I've been toying with the idea of a compact mirrorless for a while, and that camera gets consistently excellent reviews. But I've never been quite sure I can justify the buy. I mollified myself somewhat by the fact that I wouldn't be able to use my canon lenses - only, turns out I can (with a converter...I think).

Must ressssissssstttt.

(Actually, I've got no choice but to resist - my current income is precisely nil. Ho, hum...a man can dream.)

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Im not sure sbout convertrrs with the x100f it would be great if I could use a zoom with it.

Mine is from Fuji refurbidhed £849 when they were still £1200 new. I would recommend Fuji refurbished every time.

hunck

Antediluvian
Reaction score
What is the triangular thing?

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yes, it's a tyre swing.

It's not far from where we live so I thought it may look a bit spooky.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
No. The day after I bought the Olympus camera off Ebay Olympus announced that it was selling its business!

Fortunately, it looks like 4/3rds cameras wil continue as Panasonic also make micro 4/3rds cameras.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
After dropping my mums stuff off I cycled up to Heysham. Here are a couple of photos that I personally like. For those who don't know this is St Peters Church in Heysham. A church was believed to have been founded in the area in the 7th or 8th century. The ruins of St Patricks chapel are on the headland above this. The stone coffins situated above them are thought to predate 1066. They were made famous by a Black Sabbath cover! Also inside the church is a hogback stone, Anglo-Scandanavian from the 10-12th century. It is alleged that the local area Torrisholme comes from the name Torrigs Home but I don't know if that is true:

View attachment 21_ Gravestone Bay View Internet.jpg

View attachment 23_ Chapel Remnant internet.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
After dropping my mums stuff off I cycled up to Heysham. Here are a couple of photos that I personally like. For those who don't know this is St Peters Church in Heysham. A church was believed to have been founded in the area in the 7th or 8th century. The ruins of St Patricks chapel are on the headland above this. The stone coffins situated above them are thought to predate 1066. They were made famous by a Black Sabbath cover! Also inside the church is a hogback stone, Anglo-Scandanavian from the 10-12th century. It is alleged that the local area Torrisholme comes from the name Torrigs Home but I don't know if that is true:

View attachment 30960

View attachment 30961
Beautiful photos!

Gorgeous innit! We've been cycling a lot along there and always drag t'mokes up to the church to admire the view and pose with the coffins.

We visited the churchyard in that morbid way and chatted with a lady who was attending to her friend's grave.

She told us of an awful accident that happened nearby years ago.
Two young children were staying with a relation and on their first morning, they rushed out of the house and down the slope towards the sea, not realising there's a cliff edge at the along there. They fell off it onto the rocks and were both killed.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Even for Lancashire folk it genuinely is a hidden part of the county. Very few people realise it exists.

Krepostnoi

Confronting the challenge of porcine fragility
Reaction score
Even for Lancashire folk it genuinely is a hidden part of the county. Very few people realise it exists.
Last time I was in the UK, we met my brother in Morecambe - we know how to live - where we hired bikes (he'd ridden his all the way from Bradford!) and cycled along the prom to Heysham. As you say, I'd had no idea that it existed, and the stone coffins are a sight to behold. It's quite a jolt to then turn your gaze down the coast and see the nuclear power station.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm from the Preston area initially. But I was told that Morecambe had loads of B & B's that were always full until they started to build the power station. They then concentrated on contract workers so tourists stopped coming. When the power station was built and construction workers left the same people complained that there were no tourists.

But with the advent of the Eden North it really feels like the town has an opportunity to re-invent itself. The views across the bay are stunning, but when you look behind you its quite awful. But hopefully things are looking up in the future.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Reaction score
And another, for some reason I am having problems posting two photos together ...
It probably has something to do with their gargantuan size. The second photo is 5999 X 3999 pixels.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Oops! I tried to reduce their size, I shall have to reduce further as I don't want to sap resources.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I managed to get two photos today that I really like, considering the rain stopped me going to my intended destination. I stopped for a coffee at a cafe at the end of the stone jetty. Oh the glamour of Morecambe!

07_ Ride Upside Down internet.jpg

08_ Ride In Motion resize.jpg