• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It had glowing red/orange eyes...

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Watching the series Monsters And Mysteries...or is it Mysteries and Monsters?... involving convincingly sincere witnesses to cyptid encounters I'm struck that week after week, no matter the strange beasty, there is always at least one reference per episode to the bigfoot/mothman/devildog/thunderbird/skunkape or whatever it might be having had glowing red or else orange eyes. Like Spring Heeled Jack or some movie versions of Dracula now I mention it. Not every creature but one creature per episode appears to.

The show has no overriding arc or narrative so this consistency of detail across varied entities is never referred to in the voice over.

Taking the varied witnesses to varied monsters as generally sincere, what do you suppose this frequent feature suggests?

That they're all experiencing a similar archetype rich hallucination?
That they're having real, distinct, encounters but when it comes to the details this is evidence of all appealing to the same exagerated fancies from the popular imagination?
They're multiple misidentified examples of the same physical creature?
That there is a single type of superatural entity taking on different physical forms.

Or...what?

Are there any mammals in Nature with bright red or orange eyes, btw?

Last edited:
We've discussed glowing red eyes on these boards before, the description pops up in numerous accounts of encounters with entities.
IIRC someone posted that animals eyes will always have an iris, pupil or slits, red eyed accounts tend to make notice of the lack of these. I'm not disputing the "archetype rich hallucination" but given the wide range of reports I find it difficult to believe that all witnesses encountered the same conditions to undergo a hallucination though that in itself may yet be something we're not privy to within our own psyche.
The fact that so many reports mention the red, glowing eyes doesn't surprise me in the slightest. As human's we're predisposed to look at the face of any human or human like figure, it comes from years of not communicating as apes.
If it was a misidentified creature then the creature is world wide and seen in many different locations. if such a creature existed would it be misidentified so many times?
A single supernatural entity taking on different forms? Mibbees....who can say?
I think on another board an age ago when I reported my Cormon encounter someone pointed out that the "red, glowing eyes" indicated what I had encountered was supernatural. The recurrence of the eyes is a very interesting point to raise again Gattino, the Fortean world does good business with different coloured eyes stories. Cryptids have red ones and scary kids who knock on your car window or door in the middle of the night along with the Greys seem to have black ones.
An interesting exception to the glowing, red eyes story is recounted by author Lee Taylor regarding an investigation into floating red eyes appearing on Obi Wan's Paranormal Pages , it differs in that the encounter is with eyes not attached to anything and they physically contained slits. Good story though.

The eyes appeared about 6-1/2 feet above the ground and were about 3 inches across with irises about 1 inch in diameter with cat-like pupils that reacted to light in the "correct" manner. As we moved, the eyes moved to follow us. If one of us kept the eye's attention and the other moved behind them, they were not visible to the person behind but only in about a 180 degree arc centered on the point on which they seemed to be focused, as if they were in a person's head but only the eyes were visible.

I've just recalled, my one odd experience to involve a biological creature (as opposed to matters of the mind), was a seeming parliament of birds, which I reported on here. A tree swarming with cawing crows , magpies at the foot of the tree and on the the roof of the adjacent building a large owl, with one magpie standing sentry either side. Well as I recall the Owl was notable for having orange eyes (I assume at the time this identified the breed, but can't recall for sure).

Even having never seen or heard of the series you mentioned, the glowing red/orange eyes of various supernatural entities have struck me, too. Consistency in the specifics of reports of the weird is one of the things I always find compelling, because it must suggest something, if only a shared psychology. I have no solution to the question of what such glowing-orbed things are. However, I will note that our current need to taxonomize supernatural creatures and their properties is largely a modern urge, probably driven by our familiarity with science. Cultures less influenced by science see ghosts and spirits as both physical as well as mutable, and see most supernatural beings as capable of shapeshifting and invisibility. It's possible that seeing an odd, clearly supernatural being and assuming it's a prehistoric relic species or a ghost or a fairy-creature or demon is simply a modern assumption, when in fact it could be any or all of the above, and still have the same powers and characteristics. Perhaps the glowing eyes denote nothing more than a supernatural being, perhaps one that is using a particular ability, such as shapeshifting. Which is why so many odd thingies have glowing eyes. But it could still be the ghost of your aunt Maud in the form of a donkey with rabbit ears and a cats tail and the teeth of a yak, just for the hell of it.

Are there any mammals in Nature with bright red or orange eyes, btw?
Yes - a few. Example below:

26062012507497466.jpg

In fact, many of what were once called 'prosimians' have similar eyes. If I had more time, I'd pull out some lemur pics, but a quick google search would give you the idea.

... I think on another board an age ago when I reported my Cormon encounter someone pointed out that the "red, glowing eyes" indicated what I had encountered was supernatural...
I'm intrigued. Might you be persuaded to expand upon this encounter? I confess I have not the slightest clue what a Cormon might be, and my friend Google is of little assistance on this occasion, unless you do mean the French painter.

I'm intrigued. Might you be persuaded to expand upon this encounter? I confess I have not the slightest clue what a Cormon might be, and my friend Google is of little assistance on this occasion, unless you do mean the French painter.

Happy too.

In 1992 I went on holiday with my then girlfriend, D, and another couple to Pointe du Raz, Brittany to stay at cottage amongst the wind swept landscape they call "Brittany's equivalent to Land's End". The relationship I was in with D was not good, it had been but we had grown angry and upset with one another after 5 years for a variety of reasons. We were trying to mend it in various ways and unable to find any privacy at the farmhouse embarked on a moonlit stroll when the night was warm with a light breeze. We had sex in a corn field however almost instantly after began to argue with each other to the point that on the way back we were physical with one another. Both very upset D retired immediately to bed while I rolled a cigarette and moodily plopped my self on a recliner facing the garden.
The garden was about 40 feet in length maybe 30 feet wide. In the centre was a lawn, at the edges were 5 foot flower beds thick with rose bushes.
I was nearing the end of my roll up when I noticed a pair of small eyes watching me from the far end of the garden. I initially thought it was a cat but realised they were about 3 to 4 above ground level. I assumed it was a fox or even a indigenous feline species so I stood and walked maybe 12 feet onto the lawn making a quiet clapping noise and shushing sounds to spook the animal. The eyes did not move, they blinked, no iris, no slit, just a soft glowing scarlet red. At this point I became quite unsettled as I realised they were watching me. I turned to my left to make my way back up the garden when I noticed a second pair of eyes amongst the left hand side of the garden. Both sets of eyes were surrounded by darkness, no garden lights were on. The roses bushes backed onto a hedge which was at least five foot tall as I recall so they were in deep shadow. I am hazy but I seem to feel there was a third set of eyes that I noticed amongst the darkness to the right of the garden.
I backed immediately into the farmhouse and went upstairs to go to bed. I thought about looking out of the curtains of the window which backed onto the garden but I was genuinely worried about what I might see standing on the lawn or if the eyes would be closer to the farmhouse or even staring up at me. D was asleep and I must have managed to drift off. The next morning D's mood (and my own) had not improved and the other couple were staying well clear of mine and D's relationship woes. I checked the dirt for any telltale signs of animal life, of which there was none, and judged where they would have stood when I noticed the first pair. I never mentioned it to anyone and always thought it must have been local wildlife.
That was in 1992. Around the mid noughties I picked up a copy of Nick Redfern's "Three Men Seeking Monsters" in which he first used the word "cormons" to as a generic word to describe cryptids one of which was a wood land entity, attracted by sexual violence that would surround their prey in the woods. IIRC...I should dig it out and find the exact passage for you. It's possible he mentioned the red eyes as well.
The entire encounter in Pointe du Raz in 1992 was I found out years later a cormon encounter IMO. The fear and dread I experienced when i realised it was not cat or fox but something else I have never experienced or felt again, it was a deep primeval feeling that the eyes were not curious, they were devoid of any feeling toward me. I found the episode upsetting but never thought of it as paranormal until I read Redfern's book. Given the emotional turmoil that was my personal relationship I'm sure it can be linked to and explained by some psychological stress.

Interesting tale, Mooks. I know the Pointe du Raz from having sailed past it many times.

Just trying a websearch on Cormon...

Teledyne Cormon Limited provides engineered monitoring packages, asset management and application expertise through corrosion monitoring equipment. Teledyne Cormon designs and manufactures subsea and surface sand and corrosion sensors, as well as flow integrity monitoring systems, most often used in oil and gas production systems.

http://www.teledyne.com/aboutus/cormon.asp

It seems to be California based, but there is a British branch in Worthing, at the intiguing address of Decoy Road!

What does CORMON stand for?
CORMON stands for Corrosion Monitoring Systems

http://www.acronymfinder.com/Corrosion-Monitoring-Systems-(CORMON).html

Then, weirdly, there's this:

Top Definition
cormon
1. a love between a catholic and a mormon
2. a weird relationship
kylee and jeremy is a mixed religion couple so they are a cormon, they both love one another sometimes.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cormon

Then there's a book on Amazon:

Cormon: Webster's Timeline History, 1769 - 2004 Paperback – June 11, 2010

http://www.amazon.com/Cormon-Websters-Timeline-History-1769/dp/B0043VE6BG

What strange by-ways the internet can lead us to! But none of these (found by DuckDuckGo) relate to Nick Redfern's cryptids.

Tin foil hat on securely Ryn?

In the book the author (Nick Redfern) speaks to a witch in the UK, who states that a book passed down in her family for generations tells the story of "The Nine" (not sure why they were called the Nine, but it doesn't refer to the number of membership) around the 8th century AD.

According to the account in the book, the Nine were trying to figure out how open a gate and interact with creatures from another realm. Creatures they called the Cormons.

According to this witch, the Nine got involved with powerful Irish occultists to summon these creatures, to protect the area that would become Great Britain from marauders such as the Romans.

These creatures would be for example, huge sea and lake monsters, large hairy beasts in the woods, large spectral dogs, and huge cats, etc. Unfortunately one morning, all of the Nine were found completely ripped to shreds and mutilated. Soon after many sighting began of creatures like above. So the Nine had been successful in opening the gate before their demise.

Also according to the witch in the book, these creatures feed off of emotional and psychic energy. So according to her, that is why Nessie, Bigfoot, and other Cryptozoology style creatures aren't seen very often. Since the Nine were killed, the very people with the psychic power to see and believe in them all the time.

This weakened the Cormons considerably causing most of them to fade away, but a few, like Bigfoot and Nessie had enough encounters and emotional feedings that they were able to get a permanent foothold on our world. They only come out every once in awhile to provoke an emotional response and feeding. Also she states that UFO's are the new manifestations of these said Cormons, that they evolve as us humans evolve.

Does anyone remember Al Murrays Poodle? Those sinister red eyes and its threatening growl made it quite clear that it meant business..

Your deja vu is right, I have told the same story. I think it was on the old "Red Eyes" thread but I can't seem to find that anymore.

Back