• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To—My Mum

terracuk

Junior Acolyte
We are going back around 40 years. I didnt live with my parents but visited a fair bit and they were still around all of the time. My grandparents brought me up whilst both my very young parents worked full time - convenience and very pushy grandparents I guess. My parents rented their first place together - a first floor (upstairs 1 floor in UK) flat. 1 Bedroom, 1 Living room, 1 Kitchen, Small bathroom type affair. It's long since gone, now occupied by a road that was re-routed. It was a place built circa mid to late 1800's at a guess - cold, damp. Fields back way, I remember we had a mouse problem once and traps all over the house. Young fingers had to be careful. You used to have to go into a communal entrance and stairway to access the upstairs flat - a detail that we'll get to later.

I remember listening in to my mum having a conversation with by grandmother. They thought I was oblivious but young nosy ears were flapping - I was about 7 or 8yrs old.

It was autumn time. My mum said she was getting home from her job that she left at 5pm - she used to cycle home and I know now the route probably would have taken about 30 minutes. My mum usually got home from work before my dad. She said it was starting to get dusk when she got home, she opened the communal door and brought her cycle inside. As she looked up to walk up the stairs to her flat there was the typical old grey lady standing at the top of the stairs. She told my grandmother she at first wondered who she was and said hello. She said the woman just literally vanished in front of her. She said she was telling my grandmother as she daren't tell my dad as knowing him he would be scared to death. My grandmother believed her. She said she could only see the top half of this lady although the whole of her should have been visible. My mum said other odd things had happened to her before but didnt elaborate and she would look out for her again or anything else happening but I never found out anything more. My mum did visit a few mediums over a number of years (for a laugh she says).

I know this happened for sure. I know exactly where I was at the time. My grandmother mentioned it to me a couple of times over later years and i'd also asked her about it so we did converse about the story. She remembers my mum talking about it and me ear wigging. We mentioned it together when anything fortean was on the TV or read about. "Your mum saw that ghost once but she doesnt like to talk about it" kind of thing. To this day my mum point blank refuses to talk about it even now. I've asked her a few times over the past 20 years and she's denied it ever happened, she doesn't remember or dont be silly. I guess she really doesnt want to talk about it.

We are going back around 40 years. I didnt live with my parents but visited a fair bit and they were still around all of the time. My grandparents brought me up whilst both my very young parents worked full time - convenience and very pushy grandparents I guess. My parents rented their first place together - a first floor (upstairs 1 floor in UK) flat. 1 Bedroom, 1 Living room, 1 Kitchen, Small bathroom type affair. It's long since gone, now occupied by a road that was re-routed. It was a place built circa mid to late 1800's at a guess - cold, damp. Fields back way, I remember we had a mouse problem once and traps all over the house. Young fingers had to be careful. You used to have to go into a communal entrance and stairway to access the upstairs flat - a detail that we'll get to later.

I remember listening in to my mum having a conversation with by grandmother. They thought I was oblivious but young nosy ears were flapping - I was about 7 or 8yrs old.

It was autumn time. My mum said she was getting home from her job that she left at 5pm - she used to cycle home and I know now the route probably would have taken about 30 minutes. My mum usually got home from work before my dad. She said it was starting to get dusk when she got home, she opened the communal door and brought her cycle inside. As she looked up to walk up the stairs to her flat there was the typical old grey lady standing at the top of the stairs. She told my grandmother she at first wondered who she was and said hello. She said the woman just literally vanished in front of her. She said she was telling my grandmother as she daren't tell my dad as knowing him he would be scared to death. My grandmother believed her. She said she could only see the top half of this lady although the whole of her should have been visible. My mum said other odd things had happened to her before but didnt elaborate and she would look out for her again or anything else happening but I never found out anything more. My mum did visit a few mediums over a number of years (for a laugh she says).

I know this happened for sure. I know exactly where I was at the time. My grandmother mentioned it to me a couple of times over later years and i'd also asked her about it so we did converse about the story. She remembers my mum talking about it and me ear wigging. We mentioned it together when anything fortean was on the TV or read about. "Your mum saw that ghost once but she doesnt like to talk about it" kind of thing. To this day my mum point blank refuses to talk about it even now. I've asked her a few times over the past 20 years and she's denied it ever happened, she doesn't remember or dont be silly. I guess she really doesnt want to talk about it.
This kind of thing happens a lot. People mysteriously forget or they refuse to discuss it. It's most odd.

Back