• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To George: Experiences With UFOs, Haunted Houses & The Spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well.....I'm sorry to see that George left. I think his posts were interesting and even fun at times.

It seems to me that without people like George telling their experiences things could quickly get ...boring.
;)

Well that was predictable - Frides called it a day or two ago when she predicted a flounce. The second of the year I think. Can't remember who was first though.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

amouth.png

"Eventually I escaped college and went to university and got my final degree in 2007 in my mid thirties"

"Back in the late 1950s...the kids used to call me 'The Mad Kid' and often pulled flick knives on me".

Inconsistent, to say the least.

Somewhere in his postings he said he's 68 which would make him in his mid fifties in 2007. He lost 20 years somewhere.

Once in a while someone comes along and tells stories too unbelievable to be believed(!).
I called him out early in this thread(or was it originally in another thread). Eventually they get caught up lying.

How often do posters like this come along? I recall the "I photographed the Loch Ness Monster" debacle of a year or two ago.
Not too often. Probably the most famous whilst I've been on here was he who was going to replace members of the royal family during some sort of rapture event.

Not too often. Probably the most famous whilst I've been on here was he who was going to replace members of the royal family during some sort of rapture event.

He himself was going to fill in for them, or he was going to act as a recruiter, as it were?

The one I remember the best was the guy who was convinced he had many photographs of UFOs, all from the areas near his house somewhere in Scotland, but upon inspection they turned out to be photographs of helicopters belonging to a company that inspected power lines which were working during the night in the area at the time. (tis easier to see faults with infrared cameras etc at night time).
He absolutely, totally, would not, and could not, be convinced otherwise.
He flounced too as I recall after insulting loads of regulars.

Somewhere in his postings he said he's 68 which would make him in his mid fifties in 2007. He lost 20 years somewhere.
That would make him a kid in the 50s, so that adds up. If he'd written he got his degree in his 30s he could argue he'd simply hit the wrong number; but, he wrote "thirties". Harder to make an argument for a simple error.

I think it's unfortunate that people get 'chased off' forums because they have odd tales and some folks simply want to have a bit of 'fun' at someone's expense.
And I'm not picking on anyone in particular here ,because I have done similar things in the past on other forums where some really odd people posted. And George did have some issues with the way he presented himself and his story.

(btw...just as an interesting side note I have/had an actual patient who is similar to georgek in that they have had many strange ghost experiences and ufo related events and this person functions normally in society.)

I think it's unfortunate that people get 'chased off' forums because they have odd tales and some folks simply want to have a bit of 'fun' at someone's expense.
And I'm not picking on anyone in particular here ,because I have done similar things in the past on other forums where some really odd people posted. And George did have some issues with the way he presented himself and his story.

(btw...just as an interesting side note I have/had an actual patient who is similar to georgek in that they have had many strange ghost experiences and ufo related events and this person functions normally in society.)
Here here and well said dr wu.

People don't get chased off this forum for telling odd tales, we thrive on that. People get chased off this forum for either being obviously ill, or being a total arse, or a combination of the two.

And of course we are all entitled to our opinion...even if they are wrong.

;)

And of course we are all entitled to our opinion...even if they are wrong.

;)

Well, when you boil it down, many Fortean experiences are accepted because it's the listener or experiencer's opinion that something weird is going on. If you can back it up with facts, so much the better, but as their ephemeral nature tends towards, often they don't hang around to be examined, or if they do there may not be enough information about them to make a decent decision.

But if you start cursing people who ask frankly not very difficult questions, you're on a hiding to nothing.

How often do posters like this come along? I recall the "I photographed the Loch Ness Monster" debacle of a year or two ago.
We might get one a year, two if we're especially cursed. Thankfully.

Having spent a lot of time recently reading up on the place...

* some people find that they can't stick to the rules and they don't like mods being fair across the board. Devotees of the idea that they are speshul for some reason, perhaps they've been on the board a long time. They tend to remove themselves by dint of not posting. I can't see anyone has been removed for this, they seem to just take themselves off. With or without an on thread flounce and with or without PMs to the Mods. It does leave the door open for an easy return and it means that they can use the PM system so they don't lose contact with friends. I'd like to encourage more people to do thishey feel they want a break; if you haven't been banned the Troll's Head is always open. :)

* some people find that they just don't want to be here. Given an increased awareness of online presence, I think that the proportion of people who remove themselves rather than just absenting themselves will grow.

* some people decide that they hate us and leave totally. It's a pity but I suspect that at least some of them lurk and read. Which is nice and they are welcome! *waves*

* we can do breaks by arrangement if people have essays, deadlines and need to have temptation removed.

To be honest, yesterday when I first read a lot of George's posts, I started to feel guilty in as much as he obviously has issues / problems, and I was beginning to feel like a paying voyeur in an asylum. We all have our triggers though and his arrogance started to piss me right off. I wish him no harm, and, I suppose it was kind of entertaining reading his posts. That of course brings me back to my first issue. Is it ok to allow the obviously differently Sane to keep posting for our entertainment?

To be honest, yesterday when I first read a lot of George's posts, I started to feel guilty in as much as he obviously has issues / problems, and I was beginning to feel like a paying voyeur in an asylum. We all have our triggers though and his arrogance started to piss me right off. I wish him no harm, and, I suppose it was kind of entertaining reading his posts. That of course brings me back to my first issue. Is it ok to allow the obviously differently Sane to keep posting for our entertainment?

That bothers me too, obviously if you think there's a problem all you can do is ask them to get help, but there's often little chance they're interested in hearing that. But the spirit of Bedlam casts a long shadow over the internet. Some people are beyond help, alas.

That of course brings me back to my first issue. Is it ok to allow the obviously differently Sane to keep posting for our entertainment?
The Ignore function is a very useful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back