• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happened To Me! Then I Realised It Hadn't

Reminds me of a busy road near me. Must have several hundred patches within about a quarter mile, many joined up to each other. Took this road last week to meet temporary traffic lights and loads of workmen. Ah at last some resurfacing going on thought I. Nope the grass at the verges was being cut back. (yes I know - different authorities with different responsibilities).
There's a concrete road somewhere Nottingham area that was laid in the 1940's iirc and it's still in good order.
I suppose the trouble with town roads as opposed to trunk roads, is that they're continually being dug up to repair antiquated services.
Still no excuse for not patching them properly though of course.

Out running the other day, I could have sworn that I saw a pair of man's legs standing at the side of the road about a quarter of a mile ahead. The undergrowth meant I couldn't see the rest of the man, but I often meet my friend Richard walking down there, and the legs looked a lot like his. So I ran on, expecting to catch up with him, but there was no sign (he walks a lot slower than I run, so I should have caught him up quite quickly). I began to think that I'd seen another of the 'legs without a body' beloved of this forum.

It was only when I got closer than I realised that I'd been looking at a feed sack which was trapped by flood water in the dyke around the roots of a hedge. Distance, lighting and expectation had caused me to see them as legs. Sigh.
So have you told your friend yet that his legs look like a feed sack that is trapped by flood water in the dyke around the roots of a hedge? :D

Reminds me of a busy road near me. Must have several hundred patches within about a quarter mile, many joined up to each other. Took this road last week to meet temporary traffic lights and loads of workmen. Ah at last some resurfacing going on thought I. Nope the grass at the verges was being cut back. (yes I know - different authorities with different responsibilities).
We've had similar here. I reckon it's a H&S issue.

I’m happy to report that our road is going to be fully resurfaced. We have put up with many many enormous pot holes which the authorities patch, only for the patch to fail, the holes expand in breadth and depth and join up with other holes.
Drivers use the road as a rat run to beat other drivers on the main route so we are subject to the resultant noise 24 hours a day.

IMG_3420.jpeg

I’m happy to report that our road is going to be fully resurfaced. We have put up with many many enormous pot holes which the authorities patch, only for the patch to fail, the holes expand in breadth and depth and join up with other holes.
Drivers use the road as a rat run to beat other drivers on the main route so we are subject to the resultant noise 24 hours a day.

View attachment 73444
Well, it is called Avenue road.......

For the last week or so my wife has been working nights, so I'm alone in the house from about 9pm to 7.30am. My routine is to go to bed the nanosecond she leaves the house and crack on with a book, reading until about midnight when I try to fall asleep. All my life I've had varying degrees of insomnia, so I count it as a good night if I get five and a half hours sleep.

Every night this week, after turning off the light and settling down, at some point in the next hour or so I have heard the sound of someone clearing their throat in the room.

This has unnerved me, quite obviously. It has also woken me up with a thudding heart, further bollixing my attempts to get a good night's kip. It's too loud to be the neighbours, and is a very definite throat-clearing sound. An "ahem-hem", if you know what I mean. The other thing is that it has been accompanied by the strong impression of someone else in the room- so much so that it has given me that "fear of turning over to have a look" that most of us feel in such circumstances.

Anyway last night, I solved the mystery.

It is me.

I caught myself clearing my throat on the edge of sleep and it was, fascinatingly, as if I was experiencing two realities at once: in one I cleared my throat and in another someone else cleared their throat in my room. I responded to both in appropriate ways ("that was nice, I can sleep now" and "oh shit- it's a ghost/ burglar!").

Now, it all makes perfect sense. What a fantastic thing the human mind is when it enters an altered state. Brilliant. And hopefully I can now sleep peacefully.

For the last week or so my wife has been working nights, so I'm alone in the house from about 9pm to 7.30am. My routine is to go to bed the nanosecond she leaves the house and crack on with a book, reading until about midnight when I try to fall asleep. All my life I've had varying degrees of insomnia, so I count it as a good night if I get five and a half hours sleep.

Every night this week, after turning off the light and settling down, at some point in the next hour or so I have heard the sound of someone clearing their throat in the room.

This has unnerved me, quite obviously. It has also woken me up with a thudding heart, further bollixing my attempts to get a good night's kip. It's too loud to be the neighbours, and is a very definite throat-clearing sound. An "ahem-hem", if you know what I mean. The other thing is that it has been accompanied by the strong impression of someone else in the room- so much so that it has given me that "fear of turning over to have a look" that most of us feel in such circumstances.

Anyway last night, I solved the mystery.

It is me.

I caught myself clearing my throat on the edge of sleep and it was, fascinatingly, as if I was experiencing two realities at once: in one I cleared my throat and in another someone else cleared their throat in my room. I responded to both in appropriate ways ("that was nice, I can sleep now" and "oh shit- it's a ghost/ burglar!").

Now, it all makes perfect sense. What a fantastic thing the human mind is when it enters an altered state. Brilliant. And hopefully I can now sleep peacefully.
In a similar vein I went through a few days when I heard very heavy breathing at night in the bedroom. Bit disconcerting. Last time I heard it I held my breath for a few seconds and realised it was me all the time. As you say two realities at the same time.

In a similar vein I went through a few days when I heard very heavy breathing at night in the bedroom. Bit disconcerting. Last time I heard it I held my breath for a few seconds and realised it was me all the time. As you say two realities at the same time.

Me as well.

I've had the same experience in the middle of the woods in rural Japan where I thought there was 'an entity'* behind a tree and it was my breathing. :clap:

* there were deer and bears in the area

There's a concrete road somewhere Nottingham area that was laid in the 1940's iirc and it's still in good order.
I suppose the trouble with town roads as opposed to trunk roads, is that they're continually being dug up to repair antiquated services.
Still no excuse for not patching them properly though of course.
Is that on the A50? You get a thunk thunk thunk feeling as you drive over the endless expansion joints.

Is that on the A50? You get a thunk thunk thunk feeling as you drive over the endless expansion joints.
No, the A50 is relatively new Pete.

It's part of the A46.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-04-19 Google Maps.png
    Screenshot_2021-04-19 Google Maps.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
Back when we lived closer to Utah, I would go out that way on bike rides, hikes, or just fooling around when work was slow. Eastern Utah is almost entirely empty of people, or so it seems when you are not close to a town. Which was most of the time, for me, when I was on these jaunts. One time, I messed around longer than I really needed to, and by the time I was on my way home, it was getting late and I was hungry. I was passing through the near ghost town of Thompson Springs, just off I-70.

There was an old cafe right on the main intersection, a place that I had not seen open for business, but it didn't look like it was deserted. I hadn't been that way in a while, and this time the place looked busy. I was very happy to find an actual restaurant out there, so I found a parking spot and went in. As I opened the door, all conversation ceased, and everyone turned to look my direction. Oh boy, one of these times, I though. But this was no small town crowd wondering who the stranger was. It was quite a mix of people, some dressed very well for being in the middle of the desert on a weekday evening. I approached the counter, where I could see a few vacant stools. Someone behind the counter watched, but said nothing. I stopped. Had I stumbled on to a private party? A family reunion? It was getting to be very odd.

Finally, I asked if they were still serving dinner.

"We're filming a movie," someone said, helpfully. OK. I didn't see any cameras or other such equipment. The place was brightly lit, but the only lights I noticed were the old ones that looked to have been there for decades. This was before people filmed things with phones. I apologized for interrupting, and got back in my car and headed home. The building appears to exist still, unlike the Amtrak depot across the road and several other old derelict buildings.

The cafe was looking very much abandoned by 2012.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.971...omjHtioNGx_8a15A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu

View attachment 73444
With the full resurface of our road supposedly only weeks away (we have yet to have it confirmed) the ”make safe” repairs mentioned by our local councillor are yet to be carried out. I expect with the change in the weather coming we should be able to find a purpose for the potholes.

IMG_1239.jpeg

With the full resurface of our road supposedly only weeks away (we have yet to have it confirmed) the ”make safe” repairs mentioned by our local councillor are yet to be carried out. I expect with the change in the weather coming we should be able to find a purpose for the potholes.

View attachment 74555
How long before someone posts a quip about that being Cromer leisure centre? ...oh shit

Pfft, they do it properly in Crewe.

Watch as Crewe schoolgirl sails down flooded street on giant pineapple pool float

A schoolgirl from Crewe found a unique way to keep herself entertained during the bad weather - by sailing down her road on an inflatable pineapple.

Taylor-Jay Mellor, 10, was stuck indoors when saw the road outside her home on Prunus Road fill with flood water as torrential downpours rained down.

Donning an umbrella hat and riding a giant inflatable pineapple, she took to the water, floating down the street.

Back