• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Happens To Me ...Daily

lee

Junior Acolyte
As of last night, that's what I noticed and I had a chuckle to myself as I did my best to fix the problem that started just after 3am. This issue has occurred before....perhaps 2 years ago. Last night I awoke to the smell of smoke bellowing into my room so I got up and went down to check the nights fire had gone out as I thought. But after a few moments of looking at it. The last small bit of unburned wood burst into ignition and instead of the smoke going up the chimney it had fun all over the house for the next couple of hours. I did call 999 last time and no problem was found. It's been ok since but for the last few weeks bar the odd day it's behaved badly no matter the weather or atmospherics. Sometimes it doesn't make any heat sometimes it makes loads.
I will be posting anomalies as they happen from now on.
The only other strange thing yesterday was earlier in the evening a neighbour had invited me to come and see their new chicks who'd just hatched and that was all fine, wasn't out for long but whenever I see this particular person my fire seems to misbehave in parallel to the meeting. Another neighbour was there at the same time who made an odd comment that on the occasion of seeing me which is few and far between his teeth hurt. So that was a strange thought to leave with.

Try raking out the ash in the grate. Most of the glowing embers will fall into the pan below.
Also, ensure that doors and windows are closed, so that a change in air pressure in the room won't cause the smoke to come back down the chimney.
Obvious stuff first before you dive in and get a ghost whisperer. :)

Thankyou :). After the last fire brigade visit, they advised me to keep windows open when it's on so that it drags smoke up the chimney because there's a lack of ventilation in the house (It's rented) the owners won't be addressing so I've to keep windows open because the fire drags the oxygen from upstairs and you can tell when it's doing that. So open window allows it to breathe. I'm so glad I'm not a fireman, horrible job I think. Fires being what they are. Been here seven years and like it....just crazy when nothing works sometimes. Yeah it's cleaned everyday and chimney swept etc. I just know like most people do when something is out of the ordinary.

they advised me to keep windows open when it's on so that it drags smoke up the chimney because there's a lack of ventilation in the house

There should be firebricks in the outside walls. If they've been plastered/papered over that'll interfere with the fire drawing.

Thankyou :). After the last fire brigade visit, they advised me to keep windows open when it's on so that it drags smoke up the chimney because there's a lack of ventilation in the house (It's rented) the owners won't be addressing so I've to keep windows open because the fire drags the oxygen from upstairs and you can tell when it's doing that. So open window allows it to breathe. I'm so glad I'm not a fireman, horrible job I think. Fires being what they are. Been here seven years and like it....just crazy when nothing works sometimes. Yeah it's cleaned everyday and chimney swept etc. I just know like most people do when something is out of the ordinary.
Housing regs stipulate that there should be some form of ventilation in the house, as Escargot points out. Should be true wherever you are.

There should be firebricks in the outside walls. If they've been plastered/papered over that'll interfere with the fire drawing.
Ahhh. That's interesting. House still original as it was built in 60s....yes it's all papered...I'm only second person to live in it. Previous family havnt changed a thing...neither have I.

Ahhh. That's interesting. House still original as it was built in 60s....yes it's all papered...I'm only second person to live in it. Previous family havnt changed a thing...neither have I.
It's had a new kitchen and bathroom installed by the same company who built it.

Back