• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It Was The Time Of The Preacher: Edge Of Darkness

A

Anonymous

Just a blatant plug as the single finest piece of drama to come out of the 1980s has just had a proper DVD release. I've been sitting spellbound for the last few nights. And it has an alternative ending, never before seen.

It's a miracle; the first show re-watched since childhood that hasn't changed at all except to get better.

MrHyde said:
And it has an alternative ending, never before seen.
Let me guess: Everyone lives happily ever after in land full of fairies and elves?

I missed Edge of Darkness the first two times it was shown, and so was left baffled about references to Willy Nelson at school. Same thing happened with The Young Ones. Still, it had a deep and lasting effect on many people I know, who will no doubt be excited at the prospect of a DVD release.

If I remember correctly, 'Edge of Darkness' was one of those rare programmes, from the BBC, that got increasingly more, frothing at the mouth bonkers, with every passing episode.

And none the worse for it, I might add! ;)

AndroMan said:
If I remember correctly, 'Edge of Darkness' was one of those rare programmes, from the BBC, that got increasingly more, frothing at the mouth bonkers, with every passing episode.

And none the worse for it, I might add! ;)
Did you ever see "Noel's House Party"?

I'd forgotten all about the slow descent into madness as it continues. We start off with grim Northern murder and grief, then political thriller, spy drama, conspiracy and finally out and out surrealism (the 'condominium', far below ground) and absolute freakiness for the final episode. A bit like The Prisoner really.

When it was first shown on TV I managed to miss the last episode, and I've waited untill now to see it. Definitely well worth the wait - the closing shot will stay with me for a long time.

And what about that haunting theme? One of the best things Eric Clapton has ever done, every time I listed to it, it sends a shiver down me spine.

Finally watched everything on the DVD. All brilliant, however, the 'alternative' ending is actually the exact same ending, albeit from a slightly different angle. It is not (as I had hoped) the legendary 'Bob Peck gets reborn as a tree' ending.

Not that it matters. I had forgotten all about Pendleton's closing soliloq - sollil- - speech. Do you reckon that implies that he was 'on the side of the angels' all along? That he was in on the whole Gaia thing? Who knows.

Back