• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Italy

Yup. Got back Thursday night.
Had a great time, though nothing really 'Fortean' to report. Still amazed at how cheap everything is including public transport. Also, we 'discovered' the University's Botanical Gardens very near to us in Trastavere - spent 4 Euros and two hours wandering through A bamboo wood, a Japanese garden, mediterranean forest, medicinal, herbal (and poison) raised beds, and an excellent hot house with a massive variety of succulents and cacti.
And some fine cuisine I take it?

When you go to a bar and they include free snacks with your purchase,you know you're onto a winner!
Re: Ostia.
Get there via the 'Metro' train from Stazion Ostia Lido (you know you're there on the bus when you see the Piramid. Only about 20 mins, Ostia Antica (the old port) is a fair pace inland now but worth a visit. To paddle at the beach, stop at Ostia Lido N. The beach is sign posted but, basically, with your back to the main exit of the station, you're facing towards the sea.
A Bus Tip: If you've purchased biglietti before getting on, use the rear door - the machine is next to it. The middle door is (theoretically) for exit only. The machine at the front door is for contactless payment and pre-paid tickets.
A Train Tip: The main train journeys (unlike the DLR-style Metro) need a separate ticket which must be validated before your journey. When you purchase one, either from a vending machine or 'live' staff, you must put it into the 'validation' slot. Even if you have the correct ticket, the conductor will fine you 50 Euros if it's not validated.

BIG thank you stormkhan I’m soo looking forward to it just me and the beloved this time so we can please our selves where we go

Preparation can help.
There's no A to Z of Rome. You can easily get folding maps, but the city is so complex that you need a good magnifying glass to use it.
I go on Google Maps, enlarge the areas that I'll be most commonly in, then print it out.
Another really good resource is Romewise - a Facebook page and website. This is run by a couple who fell in love with Rome, moving there and setting up a B&B. Some really great, up to date, tips!

Back