• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Is Magic Becoming More Psychopathic?

It wasnt a dig at you, just something your comment reminded me of, obviously the barman wasnt that good at card tricks, he was serving cheap cocktails to drunks in Staines after all :p

I know it wasn't a dig mate, we're good ;)

I've never done card tricks mate...

I suspect that anyone who declares themselves interested in magic (in the sense of actual magic rather than conjuring tricks and illusion) is tired of comments or questions about card tricks, or jokes about sawing women in half, or witticisms such as "can you make my wife disappear?" and so on ad nauseam.

I write as a unicyclist who has heard "Do you know you've lost a wheel?" and "Let's see you do a bunny hop," and the "circus tune" (Julius Fucik's "Entry of the Gladiators") a thousand times.

I write as a former tandemist, who heard, "Can you ride tandem?" "Daisy, daisy, give me your answer do," and "Her on the back's not pedalling," a thousand times.

I write as a Morris dancer who has heard, "Which one's Morris?" and "Jingle bells, jingle bells," and "There are no Jewish Morris dancers because it takes a complete pr*ck to Morris dance," several thousand times.

And on behalf of my sister, who was in the GB dragon boat team that won the world championship in Shanghai many years ago, who heard the Hawaii 5-0 theme tune more times than she could count.

I suspect that anyone who declares themselves interested in magic (in the sense of actual magic rather than conjuring tricks and illusion) is tired of comments or questions about card tricks, or jokes about sawing women in half, or witticisms such as "can you make my wife disappear?" and so on ad nauseam.

It's all good mate. Has never bothered me. People just aren't that knowledgeable.

Plenty of magicians do the "magick not magic" thing to differentiate themselves from illusionists but that's always seemed pretentious to me. It's magic...be proud. "Proper" magicians are no better than illusionists...just a different craft.

Man, I would LOVE to be able to do card tricks!

Back