It's Paedogeddon!

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
How a paedophile's hands led to his conviction

The grim tale of the rapist of a 2 year old child who'd filmed the act. His girlfriend found images on his phone & reported him to the police. The only identifying part of him in the film was his hands. The police were sure they'd got their man but worried they didn't have enough evidence to prove it in court. He at first responded with 'no comment' to every question until he was nailed with the help of Dame Professor Sue Black, a forensic anthropologist who is an expert in the identification of anatomical features, including hands.

Once he'd been positively identified he changed his plea to guilty & was jailed for 15 years.

Video at link.
Similar happened in my home town. A man filmed or photographed himself abusing a child and was identified by his distinctive hands. A relation of mine who worked with the man offered to personally identify his hands as she knew him so well.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
...modern day phrenology?
Phrenology was heads.

Identification of suspects by unusual techniques opens up fascinating possibilities. I’m reminded of the following examples:

1. The Unabomber (Ted Kaczynski), who was identified principally by analysing the language, spelling and formatting of his written communications.

2. Charles Barbee, convicted of bank robbery and bombings in Spokane, Washington based in part on bank CCTV imagery of the unique creases and stains on his jeans.

3. Mark Dallagher, convicted of murder in West Yorkshire on the basis of an earprint he left on the victim’s window. (This technique, however, has been discredited. Ears - apparently - aren’t as unique as we think).

maximus otter

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Europol have an online database of items that have been spotted in the background of child abuse videos and need the public to help identify their origin. I'll quote from the site:

"The most innocent clues can sometimes help crack a case. The objects are all taken from the background of an image with sexually explicit material involving minors. For all images below, every other investigative avenue has already been examined. Therefore we are requesting your assistance in identifying the origin of some of these objects. We are convinced that more eyes will lead to more leads and will ultimately help to save these children.

"Can you help us recognise the objects? We specifically want to trace their origin (location/country). You can help by clicking on an object you recognise and providing Europol with the information you have on the object. This can be done anonymously. Once the origin of an object is identified, we will inform the competent law enforcement authority of the involved country to further investigate this lead and hopefully speed up the identification of both the offender and the victim."

https://www.europol.europa.eu/stopchildabuse

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Europol have an online database of items that have been spotted in the background of child abuse videos...
If you want to help, you could use TraffickCam. Simply take photos of your hotel room and allow the app to access your GPS data:

The purpose of TraffickCam is to create a database of hotel room images that an investigator can efficiently search, in order to find other images that were taken in the same location as an image that is part of an investigation.”

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
'The Gary Glitter fans who still follow the leader

Paul Gadd may be one of the most reviled figures in British pop right now, but a growing number of fans are proclaiming their undying loyalty for the glam-rock star on Facebook. They explain why they still wanna be in his gang'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/01/gary-glitter-fans-paul-gadd-facebook
He's been doing his best to blend in, fly under the radar as it were, but he's a pretty distinctive guy.

1536565181348.jpg

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
'The Gary Glitter fans who still follow the leader

Paul Gadd may be one of the most reviled figures in British pop right now, but a growing number of fans are proclaiming their undying loyalty for the glam-rock star on Facebook. They explain why they still wanna be in his gang'

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/mar/01/gary-glitter-fans-paul-gadd-facebook
This article is 3 and a half years old and refers to a time before Glitter was finally banged up. Even before it was published the Facebook fan pages weren't being updated. I just had a look and couldn't even find any! Didn't exactly search hard though.

Swifty

He's been doing his best to blend in, fly under the radar as it were, but he's a pretty distinctive guy.

View attachment 11558
There's a bloke in Cromer who really really looks like Cliff Richard as he looks today .. like enough that it makes you turn your head when he walks past. I wasn't surprised to learn that he's a Cliff impersonator. I'll try and find a photo of him ..

edit: here he is, Cromer's Cliff ..

http://www.cliffasif.com/

Swifty

This article is 3 and a half years old and refers to a time before Glitter was finally banged up. Even before it was published the Facebook fan pages weren't being updated. I just had a look and couldn't even find any! Didn't exactly search hard though.
Perhaps his gang are all communicating with CB nowadays.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Perhaps his gang are all communicating with CB nowadays.
*sigh* It's all about the MUSIC, innit!

Mr Miller, the founder of one of the fan pages, is tired of all the heckling.

“Whatever good the internet has been,” he says, heavily, “it’s given the voice to some right idiots out there.”
:D

Swifty

*sigh* It's all about the MUSIC, innit!

Mr Miller, the founder of one of the fan pages, is tired of all the heckling.

:D
Yep, there is some irony in that what with Mr Miller advertising that he's a Gary Glitter fan through The Guardian.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Yeah, I kind of agree, sort of.

But when the 'art' is Gary Glitter songs and 'the artist' is a nonce, I'm happy to chuck the lot.

Would we say 'Separate the producer from the product'?

Personally, although I don't 'Tweet my support' for short-lived boycot campaigns, there are companies whom I have refused to give my custom for years (in spite of their products appealing to me) owing to their sordid ethics.

Swifty

Separate the art form the artist as the saying goes.
Except the lead singer of The Lost Prophets I hope you'll agree who's currently inside for convincing a female fan to sexually assault her own young son for his kicks and also included her in a plan to rape a baby .. and that's just the parts the courts were able to prove. I won't link to his detailed crimes because they're way too disturbing. Even the remaining band mates wouldn't try to reform with a new singer.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Except the lead singer of The Lost Prophets I hope you'll agree who's currently inside for convincing a female fan to sexually assault her own young son for his kicks and also included her in a plan to rape a baby .. and that's just the parts the courts were able to prove. I won't link to his detailed crimes because they're way too disturbing. Even the remaining band mates wouldn't try to reform with a new singer.
Yup, it's troublesome. I saw shelves of Lost Prophets CDs dumped in charity shops after his conviction. Hadn't been a fan but was tempted to have a listen, but then I thought naaaah...

It was a shame for the other band members. One has to believe they didn't know what he was like.

Funnily enough all the musical nonces were/are crap.

Some of these probably need an 'allegedly':

• Gary Glitter
  • Ian Watkins (Lostprophets)
  • Rolf Harris
  • Jonathan King
  • R Kelly

All absolute shit. Not one of them added anything of value to the musical lexicon.
Four of that list have been prosecuted to my knowledge. If anyone buys records by the same, all royalties ought to go to a child abuse charity. For ever.

Swifty

• Gary Glitter
  • Rolf Harris
  • Jonathan King
  • R Kelly

All absolute shit. Not one of them added anything of value to the musical lexicon.
I'm fairly sure Jonathan King has been released from prison now, I remember reading something about him trying to do some kind of come back thing. I only really remember him from Entertainment USA.

edit: bloody hell! .. I've just discovered he released a song not long ago called 'Plead Guilty' with lyrics complaining about unfair treatment .. it's understandable if no one wants to listen to this and I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting it but here it is anyway for anyone who's interested ..

Last edited:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Nope, I'm pretty sure he made a few good records.
It's just too bad that he turned out the way he did - it means his records aren't being played now.
His best record was his first, Rock 'n' Roll Part 1, a terrifically menacing slice of pop. Then he proceeded to release what amounted to a bunch of self-aggrandising novelty songs. Even The Wombles sounded better.

In fact, no "even" about it, The Wombles made some top pop thanks to Mike Batt's ear for a tune and production. It's The Glitter Band I feel sorry for, they had hits too, but because of their association they will probably never be played again, though they were blameless.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I'm fairly sure Jonathan King has been released from prison now, I remember reading something about him trying to do some kind of come back thing. I only really remember him from Entertainment USA.

edit: bloody hell! .. I've just discovered he released a song not long ago called 'Plead Guilty' with lyrics complaining about unfair treatment .. it's understandable if no one wants to listen to this and I hope I'm not offending anyone by posting it but here it is anyway for anyone who's interested ..

The case against King fell apart, so he's a free man, and who knows, maybe as innocent as he says. Best not to speculate otherwise lest his lawyers be reading.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Did it?

Do you mean the initial case? Or a subsequent one?
(This is from memory, I have better things to do than Google Jonathan King) He served his time for one sexual assault a few years back, then when he was arrested for a bunch more the case fell apart this year, either because he couldn't get a fair trial or because the evidence was from people with more of a grudge than proof. It was in the news, so you can look it up if you're that bothered.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..

• Gary Glitter
  • Rolf Harris
  • Jonathan King
  • R Kelly

I clicked 'like' cos I absolutely agree. Then I remembered that Jonathan King had produced Genesis' first album (waaay back in 1968). So he did at least one thing right. Perhaps just the one thing, though. :D

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
So you post a video, of a man who has not been convicted. I'm not sure FT's lawyers will like that.