• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

It's Simon! The Day I Was Recognised By A Stranger

About three years ago, I had just begun a new job in Manchester with a number of other new starters, one of whom was a girl with the surname Todd. Shortly after first meeting her she told me that she believed she was related to Abraham Lincoln's wife, Mary Todd. Later that same day, with the conversation still fresh in my mind, I went out to lunch and was passing along Todd street (practically opposite my office) when I happened to glance up at the street sign and did a double take. Just as I did, a man approached me from behind; as he walked past he turned, chuckled, looked at me and said: "Ha! do you remember Inspector Todd?". He then continued walking on in front of me.

I had never met this man before and got the impression he may have been drunk. However, it seemed to me an odd coincidence that he mentioned the surname Todd and in such a strange context. Had he spotted me looking at the sign or did he just feel the need to say something weird to a stranger? And who was Inspector Todd? Was it a reference to Eddie Murphy's boss in the film Beverley Hills Cop or the former Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police, Michael Todd who was mysteriously found dead at the foot of Mt Snowden in 2008?

Original account restored.

Reminds me of this:

SmartSelect_20231002_212724_Samsung Internet.jpg
Source:

Back