It's Time We Stop, Hey, What's That Sound

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There's a guy who, like myself, was born in Maryhill, Glasgow.

Have come across some unseen concert footage from 1974 and realised I have actually, rarely seen him performing and especially from this elemental era.

So, this is going to be brand new and ever so much looking forward to watching.

Thought this maybe justify some sharing here...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
... and remember there is a number ten on the volume for a reason..:bthumbup:
That was extremely enjoyable - had it playing on the big telly, with sound system maxed.

Haven't seen the speakers bounce around like same for years - not since I played that recording of a Vulcan bomber's engine on take off (seriously!)...

You brought someone to mind and I was looking for the earliest, live, performance I could find of a seminal riff!!

Didn't expect to unearth something quite so truly wonderous.

This, is why volume controls on amps should go up to 12... :badge::twothumbs:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Are we supposed to limit this thread to late 60's stuff? .. mods please delete this post if it doesn't fit in ..

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
How about an anthem for these crazy times

I would like to stay in bed and grow my hair but have male pattern baldness (if that is the correct phrase). I could grow my beard but it makes me look like I’ve put my head on upside down.

AnonyJoolz

Captainess Sensible
Reaction score
The Beloved (1993)

I remember this when it first hit my ears and eyes - it looked a bit retro/hippyish but sounded and felt to me curiously futuristic.

I am wondering if, in an alternative universe, that the 1990s carried on forever and peace carried on breaking out everywhere globally. It all started to go a bit shit about 1998.

Last edited:

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
I'm currently reading this:
lc.jpg

Which according to the Amazon blurb:

''In the late sixties and early seventies, an impromptu collection of musicians colonized a eucalyptus-scented canyon deep in the Hollywood Hills of Los Angeles and melded folk, rock, and savvy American pop into a sound that conquered the world as thoroughly as the songs of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones had before them. Thirty years later, the music made in Laurel Canyon continues to pour from radios, iPods, and concert stages around the world. During the canyon's golden era, the musicians who lived and worked there scored dozens of landmark hits, from "California Dreamin'" to "Suite: Judy Blue Eyes" to "It's Too Late," selling tens of millions of records and resetting the thermostat of pop culture.

In Laurel Canyon, veteran journalist Michael Walker tells the inside story of this unprecedented gathering of some of the baby boom's leading musical lights―including Joni Mitchell; Jim Morrison; Crosby, Stills, and Nash; John Mayall; the Mamas and the Papas; Carole King; the Eagles; and Frank Zappa, to name just a few―who turned Los Angeles into the music capital of the world and forever changed the way popular music is recorded, marketed, and consumed.''

------------

It's excellent and I highly recommend it. It tells the story of the fledgling L.A music scene and how the musicians who lived in and around the Laurel Canyon area shared a common belief that their music could change the world. It did and still does, despite many of them being corrupted by sex, drugs and immense wealth that followed. Not all of them made it through the Golden Age when ideals and lyrics were more important than dealers and managers, but 50 years on, we're still listening to their songs.

Last edited:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
No ... It's not about the Sixties timeframe; it's about the Sixties "peace / let's get along" vibe.
It just so happenth that I spotted this earlier and noted for maybe later. :)

So paticularly enjoyable re this topic, are those delightful little, newfound, discoveries, such as...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I'm currently reading this:

... Which according to the Amazon blurb:

... "In Laurel Canyon, veteran journalist Michael Walker tells the inside story of this unprecedented gathering of some of the baby boom's leading musical lights―including Joni Mitchell; Jim Morrison; Crosby, Stills, and Nash; John Mayall; the Mamas and the Papas; Carole King; the Eagles; and Frank Zappa, to name just a few...
How's that time machine coming on...

Can we, like, pre-book...?

And so it was, you reminded of something profoundly beautiful...

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
That was extremely enjoyable - had it playing on the big telly, with sound system maxed.

Haven't seen the speakers bounce around like same for years - not since I played that recording of a Vulcan bomber's engine on take off (seriously!)...

You brought someone to mind and I was looking for the earliest, live, performance I could find of a seminal riff!!

Didn't expect to unearth something quite so truly wonderous.

This, is why volume controls on amps should go up to 12... :badge::twothumbs:

Try these.:)

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...2EBEB45E5D0DA894E10D2EB&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...86A84D1B839BADC9491386A84D1B839B&&FORM=VDRVRV

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
Between 1973-77 there was a brief window of opportunity where Britain was at least prepared to entertain the idea that there could also be listenable music coming out of Europe, and imported sounds didn't have to be North American. And occassionally - shock, horror! - you might get a tune in the chart that wasn't even in English.

OK, this one's an Italian band performing in English. Pretty damn good.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Try these...
King Crimson... soundtrack of my nascent years and caught them live at Green's Playhouse, Glasgow. :)

Lould...? How about this row of Marshall amp stacks...

Another find I was seemingly oblivious to, (or long forgotten!) and it's a full concert - might be a requirement here for fetching some cold beers to accompany...

Only watched the intro so far and when our guy starts off by saying, "Oh, I think what, we'll jam first..."..

Shivers already and this could be quintessentially awesome.

It's a well known performance, just don't think I've seen a recording before.

I've even found what appears to be the promotional poster (or copy thereof), so it's close as we'll get until that time machine is ready. :pipe:

IMG_20200603_113330_resize_22.jpg

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
One further discovery and I wondered if this three hour film, might be particularly enjoyable.

Featured therein is, perpetually fabulous, contemporary concert footage and I would venture, a stunning rendition of, 'Smoke on the Water'.

HOW CALIFORNIA JAM BECAME ONE OF ROCK’S BEST FESTIVALS

"It was one of the great rock festivals of all time. With the backing of a major television network and an eye-popping lineup, the California Jam, which took place on April 6, 1974, has, over time, built up a reputation for being one of the best and most smoothly run music festivals in rock history".

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/california-jam/

IMG_20200603_123436_resize_88.jpg

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
Shivers already and this could be quintessentially awesome.

It's a well known performance, just don't think I've seen a recording before.

I've even found what appears to be the promotional poster (or copy thereof), so it's close as we'll get until that time machine is ready. :pipe:
Thanks for posting that GREAT footage. I worshipped Hendrix in my tender youth and saw him live probably about a year after this concert you posted. What a talent and a great showman.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
The Beloved (1993)

I remember this when it first hit my ears and eyes - it looked a bit retro/hippyish but sounded and felt to me curiously futuristic.

I am wondering if, in an alternative universe, that the 1990s carried on forever and peace carried on breaking out everywhere globally. It all started to go a bit shit about 1998.
That's a beautiful song. I'd forgotten about it - thanks.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Thanks for posting that GREAT footage. I worshipped Hendrix in my tender youth and saw him live probably about a year after this concert you posted...
So delighted to hear. :p

If you loved that, this one is right off the scale...

Newly discovered footage of a full concert from Stockholm, 1969.

The filming is fantastic and the best I have ever seen of Hendrix.

Tremendous close-ups and I recommend maximising the screen.

Astounding moment where Hendrix explains he had a request to play, 'All Along the Watchtower' and apologises for being unable, because he can't remember the words!

As a suggestion instead, he then launches into a version of, 'Voodoo Chile' where he just rips into the Strat.

It's fecking amazing and a highlight amongst so many here.

If never seen previously, incredible we can all watch this for the first time, in just over 50 years.

Now that is groovy... :nods: