It's Time We Stop, Hey, What's That Sound

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Between 1973-77 there was a brief window of opportunity where Britain was at least prepared to entertain the idea that there could also be listenable music coming out of Europe...
That's really interesting and there's a terrific commentary online, which covers this aspect in fine detail:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...epage&q=bands from Europe early 1970s&f=false

The German band, Magma, are mentioned and I vaguely remember them.

Located some early, live footage and...

...you know what, I get this and find it enjoyable, albeit somewhat challenging at times! :confused: :crazy:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
If you loved that, this one is right off the scale...

Newly discovered footage of a full concert from Stockholm, 1969...
...36.22 into the recording and Hendrix does something extraordinary.

He lays down the Fender Strat and replaces with a three-pickup, white, Gibson SG.

This ain't good... it's one seriously badass 60s rock guitar - heavier sound and more sustain..

Can't recall Hendrix ever playing one, any other time.

The hell's he gonna do with that thing...

Next intro, what follows is of the most sweet, heavenly, Gibson guitar tones I have heard.

We are talking Peter Green, Paul Kossoff and Jimmy Page territory...

Then, I notice Hendrix turning up the Gibson's volume control...

...and he just lets those pickups run riot...

Aw FFS man.. WTF Almighty!!!!

And that's so far as I have watched.

Had to stop and get thoughts together... it was simply overwhelming.

Think maybe sussed I'm about to hear and see, some of the finest blues guitar from that era.

Deep breaths and switching back on...

AgProv

Master of Uncertainty and Doubt
Reaction score
The heydey of European music competing in the British charts seemed to end, paradoxically enough, with ABBA: as if the god of the British Charts had said "right, that fills the quota of foreign music, don't need any more". Here's a Dutch entry

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
This is a YouTube suggestion, which hath occurreth.

Wonder of wonders it is, to myself.

I had never known of a, comparatively early, Rory Gallagher documentary.

'Tis the lad at his finest - blues dripping from that iconic Strat.

At times, he reminds of Hendrix and I was wondering if there was a significant influence.

The film is a sublime snapshot in time, from 1973...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Here's a Dutch entry...
Wow! Long time since I heard that beautiful music!

Still clearly remember the day I bought this album! Hocus Pocus had recently been released as a single, plus mates and myself had seen them in concert just a couple of nights before (Kelvin Hall, Glasgow).

Thus inspired by your post, I found the following, early footage of another classic song from that album.

It's not an exact replica of the track, more of an improvisation, with Jan Akkerman in free-flowing majesty. :badge:

And this...

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
There's a fascinating and revealing insight into the (then truly, astonishingly) lovely Michelle Phillips, of Mamas and Papas fame, in this scathing review of a recent documentary.
Well that has brought a massive smile. Cheers. :twothumbs:

It just so happens, there was another version I was thinking of posting, which is poignant.

Have to now methinks... :nods:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

It just so happens, there was another version I was thinking of posting, which is poignant.

That is, well, absolutely bizarre – and it's hard not to read something into the symbolism. I mean, a banana! That's made my day much better after I woke my wife when I had a nightmare at 6am (I rarely suffer nightmares).

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
The Small Faces were such an iconic band of that era and wondered if you might enjoy a couple of documentaries, featuring some magical, early live footage.

I never knew a young Steve Marriot was cast as the, 'Artful Dodger'. What a perfect fit! :p

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

I Love the way she starts eating a banana while her voice is still playing to point out that they were all miming in that footage ... All About Eve played a similar prank on Top Of The Pops decades later :)

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
That's really interesting and there's a terrific commentary online, which covers this aspect in fine detail:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=4U_NJpF_FmIC&pg=PA183&lpg=PA183&dq=bands+from+Europe+early+1970s&source=bl&ots=7eN2ZlGOAS&sig=ACfU3U0SG2toVta3ZKLIgGJbhBbYhR_Ndw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiE3Oq2y-bpAhUCXRUIHRi6DfsQ6AEwGHoECAQQAQ#v=onepage&q=bands from Europe early 1970s&f=false

The German band, Magma, are mentioned and I vaguely remember them.

Located some early, live footage and...

...you know what, I get this and find it enjoyable, albeit somewhat challenging at times! :confused: :crazy:

Zee Germans have a lot to answer for, mainly a vast array of cured pork products. :dinner:

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So... scores Steve Miller, 'Space Cowboy' off list of potential suggestions. :mad:

How iconic is that song, though. :)

This is early, rare and just fantastic...

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
So, back in 1968, I threw a chic new years eve party in Paris.

Booked a couple of bands going around at the time, The Who, The Small Faces, Pink Floyd, The Equals, The Troggs, Joe Cocker, Fleetwood Mac...

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
My baby got the blues......oh yea.........she's always nicking my Smarties..:cool:

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
This is kind of proto-hippie but it's worth a look.

I give you Eden Ahbez, introducing his fantastic song Nature Boy in 1948; and then performed by Nat King Cole and Pat Boone in a later TV show. The Great Society, Grace Slick's pre-Jefferson Airplane band, also do a cracking version.

IamSundog

Not insane
Reaction score
I give you Eden Ahbez, introducing his fantastic song Nature Boy in 1948; and then performed by Nat King Cole and Pat Boone in a later TV show.
A favorite song of mine for very personal reasons - was sung beautifully at a particularly sad funeral...
Eden Ahbez was a strange and interesting man. Proto-hippie indeed. My sister met him once at some hippie gathering in the late 70’s.