• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ITV Means ACTION In The 60s-70s

Special Branch - from the same folks who brought us The Sweeney and starring George Sewell and Patrick Mower

Has anyone mentioned The Persuaders and was UFO and the rest of Gerry Andersons stuff on ITV??????

I think The Persuaders was mentioned in the opening post only. Don't recall it myself but Mr Zebra has seen some episodes years ago.

Mr Zebra has also seen UFO when he was younger (again not something I've ever seen) so yeah it would have been on ITV. As for other Gerry Anderson stuff, I think they were on ITV - I have vague memories of a show with characters like Thunderbirds but it had a female character swimming (might have been the titles of the show cos I think there was music playing). But that's all I can remember - anyone know? It's such a terribly vague and brief memory I have of it.

I also remember (slightly more clearly!) a show that would have been ITV which had sort of army things but they were spheres which rolled around. With faces?. And I think one of them, probably a Sergeant Major, had the voice of an actor who was very well known back then but his name completely escapes me; he had a strong accent but which again I can't place right now.

Sorry :sorry: normally I'd try to google these myself but my brain fog is quite bad tonight and I'm having trouble even trying to describe this last show to Mr Zebra, so I thought you clever people would probably know.

I think The Persuaders was mentioned in the opening post only. Don't recall it myself but Mr Zebra has seen some episodes years ago.

Mr Zebra has also seen UFO when he was younger (again not something I've ever seen) so yeah it would have been on ITV. As for other Gerry Anderson stuff, I think they were on ITV - I have vague memories of a show with characters like Thunderbirds but it had a female character swimming (might have been the titles of the show cos I think there was music playing). But that's all I can remember - anyone know? It's such a terribly vague and brief memory I have of it.

I also remember (slightly more clearly!) a show that would have been ITV which had sort of army things but they were spheres which rolled around. With faces?. And I think one of them, probably a Sergeant Major, had the voice of an actor who was very well known back then but his name completely escapes me; he had a strong accent but which again I can't place right now.

Sorry :sorry: normally I'd try to google these myself but my brain fog is quite bad tonight and I'm having trouble even trying to describe this last show to Mr Zebra, so I thought you clever people would probably know.

Stingray...

And Windsor Davies in Terrahawks?

Stingray...

Yes! Thank you so much! :) I've just screenshotted this from the video, which is almost pretty much the only memory I had of it:
upload_2018-5-12_10-40-16.png

And Windsor Davies in Terrahawks?

Again yes! Thank you so much! Windsor Davies, of course.

You are a genius :)

If we're in an "old-off" I win, as I can remember watching Space Patrol:

:omr:

maximus otter

Wow. Love the engine noise as the spaceship hurtles past "Saturn" at the start there. :D

I put Saturn in quotes because of course when this programme was made we hadn't discovered Saturn yet, so they were just guessing there'd be one that looked like that. ;)

I remember very little of Fireball XL5, because I was too young when it first came out.
I saw one or two episodes that were re-run years later.

Fireball XL5 - another one I've never heard of - didn't realise Gerry Anderson did that many programmes! (I'm assuming they're all his - they look similar).

Mr Zebra said he remembers a show from the 80s about a spaceship that went up into space and salvaged stuff and brought it back to Earth. A quick google and I found this, which he thinks must be the one:

Does anyone on here remember it? I can't seem to find anything that definitively says it was shown on ITV.

Nope, doesnt look familiar to me dear. Yup, he did Captain Scarlett, Thunderbirds, Joe 90, Stingray, Fireball XL5, UFO, Space 1999, Terrahawks, thats all i can think of at the mo

Salvage 1...don't remember that. It may have been on TV during the dark time when my family got rid of the TV so I could study.

Fireball XL5 - another one I've never heard of - didn't realise Gerry Anderson did that many programmes! (I'm assuming they're all his - they look similar).

Mr Zebra said he remembers a show from the 80s about a spaceship that went up into space and salvaged stuff and brought it back to Earth. A quick google and I found this, which he thinks must be the one:

Does anyone on here remember it? I can't seem to find anything that definitively says it was shown on ITV.

Bit before my time, but I do know Salvage 1 by reputation as one of the best TV movies of the 1970s. It had such a good reception they turned it into a series, then it turned out viewers were content with the TV movie and weren't interested in seeing more, so it was quickly cancelled.

Don't think I ever saw that. Was it any good?

From what I remember it was very similar in style to The Sweeney - fast, gritty and violent. There are full episodes on youttube so I'll be having a look.
The early series were shot on video in black and white and starred Derren Nesbitt. Later it was recast and shot on film.

I have Star Maidens on DVD. It's really funny in places, but impossible to tell if it was intentional. The battle of the sexes as a space battle, and absolutely ridiculous.
I had to watch the whole episode! It's a fantastic mashup of Space1999 and UFO with a dash of Star Trek and it even had Roj Blake.
The very definition of zietergeist.

I had to watch the whole episode! It's a fantastic mashup of Space1999 and UFO with a dash of Star Trek and it even had Roj Blake.
The very definition of zietergeist.

It's so memorable that it's weird it's been, well, forgotten.

I remember Space Patrol as well. I loved the city with it's connecting tubes etc. I reckon they had some fun making 'em - this one's about Uranus.
"So I did see a light on Uranus after all"

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I liked the robots in Space Patrol. Wasn't certain whether Slim, the Venusian, was a boy or a girl though...

Back