• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

I've Heard Of Sympathetic Pregnancy, But...

gattino

Justified & Ancient
The other party involved in this would kill me for telling anyone about this as he's mortified by the subject. I however am crude and vulgar. More importantly these boards are anonymous so I feel less of a cad for breaking my word. For all its comedic value this is nonetheless intriguing.

As readers of the thread about shared dreams will know i now regularly report on dreaming about friends, telling them about it, and having them confirm the dream matched their thoughts or real events.

One friend in particular makes up about 25% of all the incidents of apparent interlocking minds. He's also the primary partner in the deliberate experiments ive reported.

The question to speculate on is whether this is the case because we are so close (we speak by phone almost every day and he tells me absolutely everything in his life) and therefore "entangled" in some psychic realm, or whether his prominence in my reports is entirely a practical artefact of our frequent interactions (ie i have more psychic dreams about him because i have more dreams about him full stop. And i have more dreams of him because he's a daily presence in my interactions with the world.)

I favour the latter explanation. But a most peculiar coincidence makes me wonder if we are indeed psychically entwined as twins are alleged to be.

As of two nights ago I have exhibited the lavatorial symptoms of...well, lets not beat about the bush...a haemorrhoid. There are piles of jokes you could make. I have none of the discomfort, but the evidence is there. So as of yesterday i started applying the appropriate medication. Other than that its not the kind of thing you bring up in conversation with anyone. And i wouldn't here. Until...

I'll give you a moment to recover. Perhaps pop a grape in your mouth.

Today said friend rang me after 2 or 3 days absence. Almost straight away he intimated he had an embarrassing problem and really didn't want to tell me what it was. I can think of no past experience of him being reticent to tell me anything whatsoever. Immediately i anticipated where this was going. And now, so have you.

Yes, dear bleeder..I mean..reader. Call it coincidence if you will. But i appear to be having the symptoms of his problem. Or vice versa.

Now i've shared this fact in the interest of science, I need to sit down. But somewhere soft and for not too long.

Taking the science approach further you both need to compile a list of probable causes and compare:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/hemorrhoids/symptoms-causes/syc-20360268

Causes​

The veins around your anus tend to stretch under pressure and may bulge or swell. Hemorrhoids can develop from increased pressure in the lower rectum due to:

• Straining during bowel movements
  • Sitting for long periods of time on the toilet
  • Having chronic diarrhea or constipation
  • Being obese
  • Being pregnant
  • Having anal intercourse
  • Eating a low-fiber diet
  • Regular heavy lifting

Most of the guys I socialize with are a similar age and have had an interest in martial arts, or weights, or long-distance exercise, running, cycling, etc.

So it's not unusual to have similar injuries in similar places at the same time.

Last edited:
Most of the guys I know are a similar age and have had an interest in martial arts, or weights, or long-distance exercise, running, cycling, etc.

So it's not unusual to have similar injuries in similar places at the same time.
Well there's a significant age gap, we live at opposite ends of the country and we do almost nothing in common! His is supposed by him to be the result of working from home at a desk all day, sitting on his arse. In my case that doesn't really apply.

I'm not trying to prove sympathetic magic here. Though its fun to suggest it. But minimally its a charmless example of synchronicity rather than anything inevitable from shared habits or ages.

Having suffered through multiple pregnancies I can only extend my sincere sympathies. Piles, for all they are a topic of jokes, are something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy* - it's like toothache of the bumhole.

*well, maybe my worst enemy, but certainly not Gattino.

Having suffered through multiple pregnancies I can only extend my sincere sympathies. Piles, for all they are a topic of jokes, are something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy* - it's like toothache of the bumhole.

*well, maybe my worst enemy, but certainly not Gattino.
Yup, piles're a scourge of pregnancy. Summat to do with hormones and not diet.
Certainly not self-inflicted through a poor diet as we used to be told.

I remember being told that a tiny haemorrhoid I acquired during delivery was due to having 'pushed yourself inside out' according to the midwife and not, as my doctor insisted, a result of eating insufficient fibre.

My diet was and still is mostly roughage. Techy jokes that he'll order me a bale of hay one day! :chuckle:

it's like toothache of the bumhole.

You've provided me the excuse I longed for to fit this completely unrelated anecdote somewhere on these boards.

Running an Airbnb, I currently have a lesbian/trans (?) couple here. Basically one of them is of indeterminate gender and you don't like to ask, in case they're very definitely one thing or another and your uncertainty causes offence.

Anyhow this morning im sitting on the armchair in the living room eating my cornflakes when they come in to use the table at the back of the room to have breakfast. So they're talking to each other about their own business when I hear the definite woman say to her indefinite partner "that's when you first introduced me to bum holes". Whaa?? I looked up from my cereal, like a dad looking from his morning paper, hesitated and dismissed it as me mishearing.

They carried on talking.

"I really miss bum holes" she said wistfully.

WT ..

"Sorry.." I interupted "what is that you're saying?"

Apparently it was bhan bao's ( bun bo's is how she was pronouncing it, whether correctly I've no idea) East Asian food.

Oh. My bad. Carry on.

It is claimed that humans get hemorrhoids because we stand upright.

I once had a hemorrhoid that developed a blood clot and the pain was so bad I thought I was dying.

I'll give you a moment to recover. Perhaps pop a grape in your mouth.
I have complete sympathy for your condition, Gattino, and wish you well.

But... grapes are the last thing I want to eat when people are discussing haemorrhoids.

Grapes-of-Wrath.jpg

@gattino, I have also had the odd experience of simultaneous hemorrhoidal inflammation with people I know. However, instead of being sympathetic or being "in tune" with someone, could it just be due to weather conditions, especially barometric pressure?

Well now, that sounds like a bum deal @gattino , and no mistake!

I am, however, surprised that no one else has stepped into this breach (there are countless examples across these boards!), so please excuse me whilst I perform the obligatory:

Hopefully this is, as you say, just one of those odd bits of Forteana that seem to permeate your life, and that I so enjoy reading about here, but just in case - it may perhaps be advisable to visit your GP and get it checked out, just to be sure.

It may be nothing, it may be something. In my case such a precautionary check up following an unexpected 'posterior bleed' was a literal life saver. Keep safe!

Appreciated. And wise advice. However im reassured on two counts...ive had it in the past, and its gone now. My awful diet is the obvious culprit.

It its certainly no guarantee (for me or anyone else), and not wishing to be gross but its useful to know, as a general guide if its bright red its on the surface and likely to be a pile or fissure. A cut or tear to the skin on the way out. Darker suggests something internal and is a greater cause of concern. But above all novel and/or prolonged (ie more than a few days) changes to what's normal for you are the things to watch for.

It's happened again.

In the last 24 hours or so I've developed what I assume to be conjunctivitis in my right eye. The chemist has given me Bromine eyedrops to treat it.

Thing is for the last few weeks the other fellow has had, clearly medically unrelated, an inexplicably bloodshot right eye too. I assumed his must have cleared up before now but he tells me not and sends a pic of the same Bromine drops from the chemist he's having to apply.

I really hope he never gets pregnant. I just don't have the hips for it.

It's happened again.

In the last 24 hours or so I've developed what I assume to be conjunctivitis in my right eye. The chemist has given me Bromine eyedrops to treat it.

Thing is for the last few weeks the other fellow has had, clearly medically unrelated, an inexplicably bloodshot right eye too. I assumed his must have cleared up before now but he tells me not and sends a pic of the same Bromine drops from the chemist he's having to apply.

If and when you do get pregnant, your hips will magically expand prior to the blessed event (which in your case I hope will be a cesarian section). We WILL host a baby shower. :)

If and when you do get pregnant, your hips will magically expand prior to the blessed event (which in your case I hope will be a cesarian section). We WILL host a baby shower. :)
But it will, almost inevitably, cause a recommencement of the piles....

Blimey...the writer has dated him/herself with the inclusion of the Golden Shot.

Appreciated. And wise advice. However im reassured on two counts...ive had it in the past, and its gone now. My awful diet is the obvious culprit.

It its certainly no guarantee (for me or anyone else), and not wishing to be gross but its useful to know, as a general guide if its bright red its on the surface and likely to be a pile or fissure. A cut or tear to the skin on the way out. Darker suggests something internal and is a greater cause of concern. But above all novel and/or prolonged (ie more than a few days) changes to what's normal for you are the things to watch for.
It's more complicated. I used to work on wards where people had various digestive conditions which had been diagnosed after a variety of symptoms. The colour or consistency of any blood that's seen isn't a reliable guide.

Someone I knew personally was alerted to having bowel cancer after a sudden painless wet fart which turned out to be blood. :omg:
It was caught in time to treat and she recovered.

If blood came out of my own bum I'd be at the doctor's with my pants down and the relevant part pressed into his face, demanding a diagnosis.

It's happened again

The aforementioned friend has been living here the last few months while flat hunting. Yesterday he was out of town.

Rushing upstairs for something and tackling one step too many at a time, I felt something pop in my lower back. I'm not in agony but I can't stand up straight or change position without wincing.

The friend has just phoned me on his way home to ask "do you have anything for lower back pain? I'm in agony".

It's happened again.

:hahazebs::hahazebs:

A few years ago one of my cats was at the vet's after severely damaging her oesophagus by eating something spiky like, I dunno, possibly half a sparrow.

At the same time I was in severe pain from guzzling roasted sprouts and scratching my own gullet on the crusty bits.

Felt plenty of empathy for poor Bagpuss. She probably didn't give a stuff about me.

Happily, we both recovered well and were soon back to our routine of untrammelled greed.

Back