• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

J.J. Abrams' Fringe

BlackRiverFalls said:
I'm not so sure. The stand alone episodes aren;t too bad, and the wtf slant of having David Jones(!) back and the universe being wrong is quite nice. ...

I agree. If nothing else, the 'stand alone' episodes this season - particularly the most recent ones - are as good as any the series has ever offered.

So onto Season 5 Episode 7 in which we discover what a true monster William Bell really was...

...he stole Walter Bishops LP of The Man Who Sold the World! :lol:

Classy!

Anyone else still with this? Season 5 has taken a bit of warming to, but I have to say it's started to get interesting and pretty freaky now.

Peter going all weaponised again is :shock:

I agree ... Season 5 got off to a more or less lukewarm beginning, but it's heating up fast.

Peter's 'self-modification' is turning into an ominous development that's coming to be the central focus for now.

I like the way the writers are incrementally explaining some of the prior fringe phenomena in the context of subsequent / intervening plot developments (e.g., we know now the origin and purpose of those subterranean egg-shaped devices we saw back in one of the earliest seasons).

The increasing references to William Bell make me wonder whether we'll see him one or more times before the series reaches its end.

Belly is probably in there somewhere... i'm still not sure about the Leonard Nimoy 'look alike' but I suppose we can't have everything. :lol:

My youngest has been struggling with this season (#5). I haven't watched it yet, I hate scary cliffhangers.

I'm still banging through Seaason 1 on Blu-Ray. I like the show but I too find Olivia wooden, Peter is just hanging around and Walter is...well, Walter. But together, I like the dynamic.

I'm also having fun looking out for Star Wars references. I read that Abbrams is a huge Star Wars fan (and now he's doing to make the next SW film) and then straight after that I noticed one of the license plates in Fringe was 1R2D21.

The parallel universe trope gets a bit trying early on, but stick with it... he does manage to overcome the worst of that cliche.

I know what you're talking about, Ringo. Hang in there ... As the series progresses Olivia gets less wooden (or at least we learn why she seems so reserved / cautious). Peter's character fleshes out somewhat. Walter evolves beyond comic relief. I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you we end up seeing more depth accrue to Walter's character than the others.

EnolaGaia said:
I know what you're talking about, Ringo. Hang in there ... As the series progresses Olivia gets less wooden (or at least we learn why she seems so reserved / cautious). Peter's character fleshes out somewhat. Walter evolves beyond comic relief. I don't think it's a spoiler to tell you we end up seeing more depth accrue to Walter's character than the others.

Walter is my favourite so far. I suppose he's everyones favourite, his scenes are always the most interesting (although I don't mind watching Olivia's deprivation tank scenes ;) )

I find Broyles just a little too dramatic but I love the way he spits out the words "Agent Scott".

Guess who had an advert from Fortean Times in their Facebook feed today? It was a competition to win a box set of...you guessed it, Fringe.

I went trawling because I felt sure Fringe must have been mentioned on here at some point - and here we are, tomorrow it will be 6 years since the last post on this subject.

I had watched most of seasons 3-5 when they were on TV as some of my (then new) colleagues had been watching from the start and the three of us always spent some time the day after broadcast talking about the latest episode.

In September last year I was jobhunting and came across a recruitment agency I'd never heard of before, and called in to enquire about a vacancy they had posted on a board outside their office. As it turned out, that vacancy had been filled but they took my details and a couple of weeks later found me a 2 week placement at an IT company. During a conversation with one of the staff there, Fringe was mentioned and at some point during those 2 weeks I found 3 seasons available to buy through Oxfam.

At the weekend, I was chatting to my friend in Canada and telling her about how a different member of staff there had reminded me of John Boyega when he'd come rushing into the building and bounded up the stairs at least two at a time, and was chuckling with her at his name being JJ when she and I had already made so many connections with other JJs. It was during this conversation that there came a knock at my door, and the postman delivered three seasons of JJ Abrams's Fringe. Spooky, and cool!

However, it was around that time that the DVD player stopped working, so I had only managed to watch season 1 of my new purchases.

Fast forward to last Tuesday, and I'm on a different contract with the same agency - directly across the road from that placement - and when I got home from my 3rd day I decided to watch Season two.

Bearing in mind that the new royal baby had arrived the day before, imagine my surprise when the FBI agent investigating a car crash was being played by none other than Meghan Markle!

I have more to add, but it's time to go.

I'll be back ;)

I remember finding the blu Ray box set on Amazon for an absolute bargain price. Didn’t really know anything about it, liked some JJ stuff but wife and I both love John Noble so decided to give it a go. Both absolutely loved it. Need to rewatch it. Aargh. Simpson’s on in the background and they have literally just mentioned JJ Abrams!

I loved 'Fringe'.......sorry to see it go off the air some years back.

I went trawling because I felt sure Fringe must have been mentioned on here at some point - and here we are, tomorrow it will be 6 years since the last post on this subject.
…….

I have more to add, but it's time to go.

I'll be back ;)

So, today is the anniversary of the post previous to mine, and the first visitors I received at reception at my current temporary employment were Jessica and Olivia! Olivia takes her coffee the same way I drink mine - black and sweet lol

In previous posts there has been mention of David Robert Jones, the criminal who happened to share his name with David Bowie, and...

So onto Season 5 Episode 7 in which we discover what a true monster William Bell really was...

...he stole Walter Bishops LP of The Man Who Sold the World! :lol:
… which is a David Bowie album. Curiouser and curiouser… Season Five - Episode Seven.

When I first started watching Fringe with my colleagues, I was working at a company with a four letter name ending in "*edi" (which I now automatically associate with Jedi)
The colleagues in question had a surname that sounds like 5
I have a surname that sounds like 7

When I left that job, it was because I'd had a breakdown and ended up spending a few weeks in hospital. During that time I made friends with a man who looks like a young David Bowie, and he and I are still friends now and I'm part of the social circle he already had on the outside.

Haha!! And I just flicked over to my email screen and the next message is a reply to me saying "Not sure what you mean .Will give you a bell."

:freak:

Back