• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's absolutely Amazon wanting their own "Game of Thrones", they had to get "Lord of the Rings" in the title for maximum brand recognition and exposure.

I watched the two longer trailers, quite liked them in themselves, at least more than I expected to. However, both are selling the atmosphere of impending doom/threat - which makes sense in any trailer, you want to create tension and anticipation. However, this is a prequel to LOTR and the Hobbit, which does make it a bit of a damp squib: you know where is is going. I appreciate that it takes place thousands of years prior to either but there's still a similar issue. I suspect that the GoT spinoff which will debut this year will have similar challenges.
Having now watched The Amazon thing and also the new Game of Thrones - got to say the latter is way, way better (better TV, at least). I wanted to like the LOTR thing more than I do. Was expecting to prefer it, too.

Having now watched The Amazon thing and also the new Game of Thrones - got to say the latter is way, way better (better TV, at least). I wanted to like the LOTR thing more than I do. Was expecting to prefer it, too.

That seems to be the predominant opinion, or the predominant preference from what I understand.

Was that the one with the line 'Pass me another elf Sergeant, this one's split' ?
Don't recall that.
Try this instead:

"At the mention of his name, Frito gurgled loudly and fell off his sheep, and the Ring dropped out of his clothes and rolled to Orlon's feet. One of the sheep trotted up, licked it, and turned into a fire hydrant.”

Don't recall that.
Try this instead:

"At the mention of his name, Frito gurgled loudly and fell off his sheep, and the Ring dropped out of his clothes and rolled to Orlon's feet. One of the sheep trotted up, licked it, and turned into a fire hydrant.”
He would have finished Goddam off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. "It's a pity I've run out of bullets", he
thought...

"In his hand he carried an ancient and trusty weapon, called by the elves a Browning semi-automatic."

Was that the one with the line 'Pass me another elf Sergeant, this one's split' ?
I think that was one of Mary Gentle's, concerning Orcs.

Warner Brothers have announced they are doing more Lord of the Rings movies. Not more details than that really, I guess they are just annoyed with Amazon.

Warner Brothers have announced they are doing more Lord of the Rings movies. Not more details than that really, I guess they are just annoyed with Amazon.

“New film adaptations of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are on the way over the next few years, Warner Bros has announced.

The films will invite fans deeper into the cinematic world of JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth "in new and exciting ways", studio bosses said.

The multi-year collaborative project was announced by Warner Bros, New Line Cinema and Embracer, part of operative group Freemode.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2...s-plans-multiple-new-lord-rings-hobbit-films/

maximus otter

You know that thing about lending a book to a friend and never seeing it again?

I have a couple of books like that, that I lent out and never got back. But also a couple I borrowed and forgot to return. One of them is 'Bored of the Rings' which I borrowed from a uni friend in the 1980s (not sure why she thought I'd like it as I'd not even read LOTR yet anyway). So I read Bored of the Rings (well some of it) maybe two decades before I read LOTR...

Almost lost contact with this friend but we found her on FB again a couple of years ago and every now and then I thought "Ah I must get her address and post it back to her". But sadly, she died last year. So I'm keeping it and every time I see it on the shelf I think of her and smile. But somehow can't read it.

“New film adaptations of Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit are on the way over the next few years, Warner Bros has announced.

The films will invite fans deeper into the cinematic world of JRR Tolkien's Middle-earth "in new and exciting ways", studio bosses said.

The multi-year collaborative project was announced by Warner Bros, New Line Cinema and Embracer, part of operative group Freemode.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2...s-plans-multiple-new-lord-rings-hobbit-films/

maximus otter
Ah, this is going to be... interesting. James Corden as Sam?

Or they might just mean another adaptation. Like all those Batman films.

I'm surprised it's taken this long to be honest, not that I want any more LOTR "content".

Unless it's animated and that's a stretch, they did talk about an animated Rohirrim film a year or two ago.

Can anyone explain?

By `adaptation` do they mean remake?
Rumour is, it's not a remake of LOTR but will "explore" the other materials, or stuff that is mentioned in passing in the book/appendices. I dunno if the rights cover stuff like The Silmarillion or the Histories of Middle-earth. There's tonnes of stuff in Silmarillion alone, as it's disjointed but entire chapters of it would make movies...

They may not have the rights to everything though, I'm not sure.

I just watched the Witcher prequel, Blood Origin and may just be me but I preferred it to The Witcher.

I won't be watching it, then. Puts the old tin lid on it.
Absolutely. But it's the sort of unimaginative casting a US based studio might do with what is essentially, a very British thing! I refuse to watch anything he's in. Apparently, they originally wanted Sean Connery for Gandalf and I'd never have watched the films if he'd been in them, either.

Back