• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I thought he WAS a hobbit?

He was ... Sméagol was a member of one of the three main hobbit categories (lines, whatever ... ) - the Stoors hobbits.

Tolkien didn't fully outline Gollum's back story until LoTR, so there was a period during which readers were left to imagine his relationship to hobbits.

He was ... Sméagol was a member of one of the three main hobbit categories (lines, whatever ... ) - the Stoors hobbits.

Tolkien didn't fully outline Gollum's back story until LoTR, so there was a period during which readers were left to imagine his relationship to hobbits.

The reason I don't think Gollum is a hobbit is because in the text, he's only described as 'hobbit-like'. So to me he's a kind of proto-hobbit, maybe from the group that became the ancestors of the Stoors. Yes, I'm pedantic.

Last edited:
Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!
"

The first is very famous, the second very true:

“I am old, Gandalf. I don’t look it, but I am beginning to feel it in my heart of hearts. Well-preserved indeed!” he snorted. “Why, I feel all thin, sort of stretched, if you know what I mean: like butter that has been scraped over too much bread. That can’t be right. I need a change, or something."

______________________________________________________________________________________________

“I tried to save the Shire, and it has been saved, but not for me. It must often be so, Sam, when things are in danger: some one has to give them up, lose them, so that others may keep them.”

i received a lord of the rings dramatized 9 cd box set as a present last night and listened to the 1st cd this afternoon. its really really poor! the main hobbits apart from frodo all have excruciatingly bad british accents, apart from frodo who has a dreamy yank drawl. the other hobbits sound like witches on crack apart from farmer maggot who sounds like he should be drawing a 6 gun to shoot wild west bandits.

Much as i esteem the giver i doubt i will listen to the other 8 cds.

i received a lord of the rings dramatized 9 cd box set as a present last night and listened to the 1st cd this afternoon. its really really poor! the main hobbits apart from frodo all have excruciatingly bad british accents, apart from frodo who has a dreamy yank drawl. the other hobbits sound like witches on crack apart from farmer maggot who sounds like he should be drawing a 6 gun to shoot wild west bandits.

Is it a BBC box set?

Box set itself looks nice.

Voices, horrible--accents are only part of it, the part I heard was just the wrong tone: a cartoon with some kind of circus ringleader as a narrator.

(There's a sample at the link above)

What's everyone's favourite Tolkien quote?

I love this passage:

There agelong she had dwelt, an evil thing in spider-form, even such as once of old had lived in the Land of the Elves in the West that is now under the Sea, such as Beren fought in the Mountains of Terror in Doriath, and so came to Lúthien upon the green sward amid the hemlocks in the moonlight long ago. How Shelob came there, flying from ruin, no tale tells, for out of the Dark Years few tales have come. But still she was there, who was there before Sauron, and before the first stone of Barad-dûr; and she served none but herself, drinking the blood of Elves and Men, bloated and grown fat with endless brooding on her feasts, weaving webs of shadow; for all living things were her food, and her vomit darkness. Far and wide her lesser broods, bastards of the miserable mates, her own offspring, that she slew, spread from glen to glen, from the Ephel Dúath to the eastern hills, to Dol Guldur and the fastnesses of Mirkwood. But none could rival her, Shelob the Great, last child of Ungoliant to trouble the unhappy world.

Unique opportunity to own a piece of Tolkien’s history in Warwick

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit fans now have the unique opportunity to buy a piece of history in Warwick. The former residence of Edith Bratt, wife of author J R R Tolkien, has gone on sale.

The house, which is located in Victoria Street, hasn’t been on the market for 54 years.

Separated by their Protestant and Catholic backgrounds, the pair secretly met at her home because Tolkien’s guardian, a Catholic priest, insisted that they stay away from one another. The four-bedroom Edwardian terraced house is set out over three floors and features a toilet and brick built store in the garden.

Read more at: http://www.leamingtoncourier.co.uk/...ece-of-tolkien-s-history-in-warwick-1-8077131

What would you say the main theme of Lord of the rings is? For me it is friendship and the corrupting effect of power, but some bloke called Tolkien said it's about death and immortality, I think he may know what he is talking about...

What's everyone's favourite Tolkien quote? Mine is Bilbo's "It's a dangerous business.. going out your door" . Next is Gandalf's speech about Gollum being bound up with the fate of the Ring.

Bilbo on meeting Lobella Sackville-Baggins on his return from the quest of Erebor

Bilbo: "Oi put that fucking chair down you thieving Haint!"

Lobella: "Fuck me I'd thought you'd died of a drug overdose - you've been legally declared dead"

or

Tom bomabadil to Goldberry: "Put some fucking clothes on we've got guests and clear this place up a bit"

Goldberry: "Guests? More like your fucking drug buddies. You can tell your "guests" I'm the only one with a job here as grave robbing barrows doesn't count".

“Still round the corner there may wait
A new road or a secret gate
And though I oft have passed them by
A day will come at last when I
Shall take the hidden paths that run
West of the Moon, East of the Sun.”

That happens to be my (other) favourite as well.

I had this box set for a while.
image.jpeg

I think there's also additional material in Unfinished Tales.

You would hope so. But with how other high profile adaptions have gone recently they are upping the sex as the violence.

As you said neither of those fit with LOTR or the hobbit.

Hobbit aside I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTRs it could have been a hundred times worse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hobbit aside I think Peter Jackson did a good job with LOTRs it could have been a hundred times worse.
I don't have any issues with Fellowship, all the changes made didn't detract from the book and in the case of Boromir's death improved on it.

The other two films however wandered significantly away from the books especially in the treatment of Faramir and Haldir.

Could have been worse, should have been better.

It's a hollywood movie, from what I seen and heard directors rarely get to make their complete vision of a movie. If it was 100% accurate to the book then large chunks of it would be as boring as fuck.

I love the book and have probably read it 10 times.

Back