• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
It's a hollywood movie, from what I seen and heard directors rarely get to make their complete vision of a movie. If it was 100% accurate to the book then large chunks of it would be as boring as fuck.

I love the book and have probably read it 10 times.
If you cannot make the movie reasonably close to the book it's based on then don't bother making it. The world would be much worse off without the book, I cannot say the same for the movie.

In my advanced years I have finally realised that books are inherently superior to movies, and I no longer read a book and think ooooo that would make a great movie

I don't have any issues with Fellowship, all the changes made didn't detract from the book and in the case of Boromir's death improved on it.

The other two films however wandered significantly away from the books especially in the treatment of Faramir and Haldir.
Totally agree with that. Also the sheer bloody length, although The Hobbit is a far bigger culprit. Jackson just can't make reasonably-lengthed films. His upcoming version of "The Very Hungry Caterpillar" (starring Andy Serkis) will run to 2hours 48 minutes.

I recently watched the full versions of the LOTR trilogy, and found it better. Though getting the time was difficult.
The Hobbit I can't n really blame Jackson for, he wanted two films but the studio pushed him to make three. Two films would have been fine, but he had to stretch it out and had to be creative.

I saw this book in a charity shop today ..

bored.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bored-Ring...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

not as funny as it thinks it is.
I didn't buy it mainly because I'm not a fan of Terry Pratchet style humour but also because I'm not a Hobbit/Lord of etc etc fan (no offence intended towards Tolkien fans) so I expect most of the jokes would have been lost on me.

I didn't buy it mainly because I'm not a fan of Terry Pratchet style humour but also because I'm not a Hobbit/Lord of etc etc fan (no offence intended towards Tolkien fans) so I expect most of the jokes would have been lost on me.

Dildo Bugger and gay Elves is all you need to know.

That reminds me. A friend loaned me that very book around 1980. I still have it...

(The Naughty Cat is right, it's not worth reading).

I'm a Tolkien nerd so will look forward to this Amazon thing. Whatever it is. And I'll enjoy disapproving of it, if it's crap.:wink2:

That reminds me. A friend loaned me that very book around 1980. I still have it...

(The Naughty Cat is right, it's not worth reading).

I'm a Tolkien nerd so will look forward to this Amazon thing. Whatever it is. And I'll enjoy disapproving of it, if it's crap.:wink2:

Me too. I'm looking forward to it for exactly the same reasons.

Used to have that book, lost it , didn't care. It really isn't very funny. Sir Pterry does fantasy satire much better.
It has one or two good lines, including:

"In his hand he carried an ancient and trusty weapon, called by the elves a Browning semi-automatic."

"He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel..."

Used to have that book, lost it , didn't care. It really isn't very funny. Sir Pterry does fantasy satire much better.
I borrowed it, found it very amusing, but am in no hurry to read it again. I would perhaps have bought it if I'd seen it in a charity shop for a couple of bob.

It has one or two good lines, including:

"In his hand he carried an ancient and trusty weapon, called by the elves a Browning semi-automatic."

"He would have finished him off then and there, but pity stayed his hand. It's a pity I've run out of bullets, he thought, as he went back up the tunnel..."

Pass.

That's the same edition I have. As soon as I saw the featureless area on the Bored of the Rings map described as "The Flat Mountains" I knew I would love the humour in this book! Still Laugh-out-loud funny, and some of the Nixon-era political gags have acquired a new resonance with Trump as POTUS!

Sir Boris and Sir Morris had their pet hamster Sir Doris clad in armour, so there is a precedent.

Also, only an irresponsible pet owner would send their guinea pigs into battle without some sort of protection.

Also, only an irresponsible pet owner would send their guinea pigs into battle without some sort of protection.
Our hamster Violet Szabo was so hard she didn't need armour, we did .... the little bitch :) (R.I.P.)

Back