• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Jack Chick, His Xtian Comics & Extreme Religious Pulp Propaganda

I don't mean to turn away from comics too much, but has anybody else seen the weird 1972 rapture/end-times/sci fi film Six Hundred and Sixty Six?

A group of people inside an underground complex which possesses high tech computers which tracks world events consider all options as nuclear war is at hand,air supplies may last only eight days and Biblical prophesy unfolds.

It plays like 2001 or Silent Running if it was made by Bible thumpers, and it stars Joe Turkel, who was Tyrell in the Blade Runner film.

Now back to comics - I have a thread about Michael Netzer somewhere else, but here is a current reiteration of his site about religion and comics, and he seems fairly Gnostic at first glance this time:

http://www.michaelnetzer.com/archive/thenewcomicbookoflife/index.html

http://www.michaelnetzer.com/flamingsword/flamingsword_index.html

gl5211, experiences like yours are so far removed from the xtian principles of love and forgiveness as to indicate that it wasn't about Jesus - it was about control.

Little kids're easy to control through fear. Luckily, they grow up, as you did, and see through the crap. That's when Jesus loses out. :(

Oh yes escargot i completely agree. Honestly my sister and i have talked about it many times how did we make it through without being completely warped and we both believe it was that our mother always encouraged us to read so our imaginations escaped through fiction and exposed us to other ideas. It was really funny though, everything in that church was a sin literally. We had these little tracts on all the things of "the world' that were sinfull. No movies, going bowling because they served beer and such. We left that church when i was about 14 and my mothers motivcation was this. Several teenaged girls just a couple of years older than me got pregnant and my mother realised well what are the dating kids gonna do on friday night if they can't go to the movies or bowling or do anything fun on a friday night...well they will find some other form of "entertainment". It was funny though the church I went to had its own little set of insane rules and beliefs if i told you all of them you would think i was making it up. CRAZY is all i can say. But one of which is that the founder of our church was the first one to really have a true revelation of christ. AParantly he was praying on the side of a mountain in 1903 and had some sort of vision and god told him to establish his "one true church" and that this was when the world came out of the "dark ages" and that everyone that was born before this didn't have the "true" christianity therefore they went to hell. Oh and that in "the end of days" that all true christians would find their way to the "one true church" and everyone else would go to hell. Oh and it goes on and on these are just some of the crazy things they taught. Though this was one of the main teachings that made me question all the other teachings. Our neighbors across the street were very devout christians and i always went to their house and it never made sense to me that they would go to hell just because they didn't got to our church. I remember when i was about 7 thinking why would Ms. davis go to hell she is such a good person and i just wouldn't believe god would do that.... it just took me til i was about 13 or 14 to start verbalising these things.

You and your sister did very well! 8)

Did you renegotiate your faith, or did you reject religion altogether? I think I'd feel very confused by all that.

I was raised in a typically British compromise - no church, but kids sent to Sunday school to get'em out of the way for a couple of hours. It's hard to imagine an upbringing more certain to bring about cynicism. :lol:

Honestly, my idea is that there is a God a creator but i don't think that one religion or one faith has all the answers. I pray and i read different religious philosophies. I would consider myself a "christian" sort of. Meaning i think that the teachings of christ are a damn fine thing to aspire to but i reject out of hand anything from paul and basically all that crap. I mean if most christians relaly understood the implications of the council of nicea and the deciding of what christians are "supposed" to believe i think there would be much more doubt about the bible and the direction of every branch of christianity. But then i think most studies of history classes offered are woefully inadequate. So I think the idea of treating others as you wish to be treated and loving you neighbor as yourself are very worthwhile and a good standard for everyone to try to live up to. But as far as attending and organised church and swallowing all the "teachings" and such no not at all. ANd occasionally i do visit a church but i would never be a "member" again.

Jeez I had a lucky childhood... My parents rejected religion out of hand and I wasn't even baptised. I went to C of E school but religion was never forced down our throats, we just went to Christian services at Christmas, Easter etc with the school. The religious aspect was so wrapped up in making window displays, putting on plays and the like that it was never made to feel like religion!
This weekend I was Godparent to my nephew, my brother's little boy. I honestly have no idea why he wanted his son christened as he has no religious inclination at all. I think he thought it 'the thing to do'.
I loathed sitting through the service- even my mother said it was dull, long and stuffy- and the words I had to say stuck in my mouth. Such lies! I am not going to encourage him to follow the Christian faith at all. But if my nephew ever needs me then I'm in a position where he will know I am there to help.

MrRING said:
Now back to comics - I have a thread about Michael Netzer somewhere else, but here is a current reiteration of his site about religion and comics, and he seems fairly Gnostic at first glance this time:

http://www.michaelnetzer.com/archive/thenewcomicbookoflife/index.html

http://www.michaelnetzer.com/flamingsword/flamingsword_index.html

Thank you for yet another mention, MrRING. It explains the persistent RING in my ear that has led me here once again.

The general reaction here to religious zeal which distorts the source it came from is true and justified. Perhaps the following article at my new site, ReVOLUTION, explains how some comics, such as Mark Millar's Chosen can also become an illuminator on the subject.

The article indicates a misunderstood notion about the legend of the Anti-Christ. Primarily, unlike assumptions of this figure being some known political or religious leader, the Anti-Christ is a legend about a man who will purport to be the Messiah, and eventually be killed for doing so, after attempting to bring an age of peace and prosperity to the world.

Now I wonder where we've heard such a story before?..... Oh yes, of course. That is what actually happened to Jesus, isn't it? Very interesting, indeed.

Read it here: Chosen and the Passion.

Jack Chick and his like are all slated for a very rude awakening one day soon.

MichealNetzer said:
The article indicates a misunderstood notion about the legend of the Anti-Christ. Primarily, unlike assumptions of this figure being some known political or religious leader, the Anti-Christ is a legend about a man who will purport to be the Messiah, and eventually be killed for doing so, after attempting to bring an age of peace and prosperity to the world.

Isn't the AntiChrist supposed to bring the opposite of that?

gncxx said:
Isn't the AntiChrist supposed to bring the opposite of that?

If we consider the legend that he will deceive the world into believing he's the Christ or the messiah and that he will "take the kingdom by flatteries" well, these are the characteristics of appearing to bring salvation to the world. He could not do this if he was to bring the opposite.

As an example, the "Mark of the Beast" relates to a global trade system where by having this mark, everyone will be able to acquire their basic needs and be able to trade freely with others. It implies a unified economic system which will be attractive to everyone because it guaratees everyone's basic necessities in life. This means a more prosperous situation than the one we have today, which allows for notable segments of civilization to suffer from hunger and need.

So even the Mark of the Beast alludes to an age of economic prosperity.

On the other hand, Jesus said that he's come to bring a sword to the world, raise a brother against his brother, father against his son and so on...

So it also appears that the road to bringing peace and prosperity to the world will be lined with trouble.

But the Anti-Christ will not be condemned for doing the opposite of this. It is said that he will be condemned because he attempted to deceive the world into believing he is the Christ.

All this points to his mission, according to legend, as being to bring salvation. But because he's purpotedly not the messiah, he must be killed when he finishes his job.

That's roughly what the legend of the Anti-Christ is about.

Hmm... like most of Revelations it all sounds very much open to interpretation to me.

gncxx said:
Hmm... like most of Revelations it all sounds very much open to interpretation to me.

It is, as it should be, and as it is also its primary strength. That everyone can understand it from their own point of view. It agrees with the notion of free choice that everyone should excercise.

Understasnding how diffrent people and sectors might interpret it, however, is also beneficial in anticipating how they'll react if and when it becomes perceived by some sectors that the predictions made there are beginning to come true.

For example, if the primarily secular entertainment and communications worlds were to advance promoting the rise of someone on the world stage who willingly adopts the role of the Anti-Christ, because a Secular Coalition might find this as being advantageous to fending off psuedo moral legislation proposed by the Christian Coalition, well, then we'd have the beginnings of a situation which might be seen as a large sector's interpretation of the predictions in the book or Revelation.

Being able to predict the snowballing events of such a situation, based on knowing how Revelations is being interpreted, might be advantageous in directing a more favorable outcome of the events.

What if you believe the Book of Revelations is the ancient ramblings of some anonymous drug-crazed lunatic and irrelevant to the modern world?

gncxx said:
What if you believe the Book of Revelations is the ancient ramblings of some anonymous drug-crazed lunatic and irrelevant to the modern world?

That's a reasonable belief for anyone to hold to. Though it's difficult to ignore that it is the central creed of the primary religion adopted by the Western world. So, it may be an ancient rambling of a drug-crazed lunatic but it seems relevant to the modern world in that such a large segment of modern culture holds to it.

Revelations is not the central creed of any version of Christianity. To be a Christian, you have to accept that a man named Jesus of Nazareth acted as scapegoat for all your sins and that, if you let him, he will clean up your soul and get you into heaven.

EVERYTHING else is optional. People fuss enormously about the optional bits, and some are less optional than others (the Christian who doesn't believe in Jesus's divine nature is vanishingly rare), but "Jesus died for our sins and saved our souls" is really, truly all you need to claim the religion. It won't get you into a lot of denominations, and many, many professors of the faith will find excuses to exclude Christians of whom they don't approve, but for definition purposes, it's all you need.

Revelations was usually ignored in the (liberal United Methodist) churches I was raised in; when it was not, it was read symbolically. The only book that gets this treatment more often is probably the Song of Solomon (which is seriously hot stuff if you read it in the proper frame of mind).

PeniG said:
Revelations is not the central creed of any version of Christianity. To be a Christian, you have to accept that a man named Jesus of Nazareth acted as scapegoat for all your sins and that, if you let him, he will clean up your soul and get you into heaven.

Revelations may not be seen as the central creed in many Christian denominations, as the Gospels themselves were witheld from the people by the Catholic church for centuries until Luther's revolt. Still, the Book of Revelations is the primary writing which cemented the bond between Christianity and Judaism, giving Christianity the sound foundation it stands upon today. The resounding similarities and inspiration Revelations draws from the dreams of Daniel the prophet are mentioned at every turn in Christian theology. The importance of these books is that they prepare the world for the critical events to come at the end of days, thus allowing those of wisdom to know when the time is near.

It might be enough for any church for one to accept that Jesus died for our sins, or to confess his divinity, but this is not enough for Jesus himself who told us that faith without works is dead alone. It is sad to see the merchants of faith stepping out into the world as ravening wolves beseaching people to confess that Jesus is Lord and believing that this is the type of good works Jesus spoke of.

Faith in Jesus, his life and sacrifice, demand a very high standard of works in good spirit which bring good fruits into the world. Not converts to churches gone wrong with false holy pride adding more lost sheep to a growing social construct devoid of the spirit Jesus gave. When Jesus was in the world, his strongest detractors were the religious hypocrites of his time who flaunted their pomposity at a humble secular world and oppressed them with a devouring spirit of holy superiority. It was the religious class of his time that condemned Jesus to death.

Much in the same way that the church and the many pretenders who say they believe in him would do to him today if he appeared before them as a man. Sadly, many who speak vainly in Jesus' name today are the ravening wolves he warned the world about.

Though perhaps unintentional, Peni, your unfortunate use of words directed singularly at me bears some introspection on your part. Do you know who I am and what my relationship with God is that you use such a tone with me? If Jesus died for the sins of all of us, including yours, why not use the term "our" instead of "your" sins? Did you perhaps feel you need to teach me something even before you realize that it might be I who could teach you something about Jesus? Did you rush into a preprogrammed preaching mode you use with everyone to display some moral superiority with? Are you walking humbly in God's ways today or perhaps proud and confident in having already attained a place in Heaven, allowing a feeling of self righeousness to overcome you?

Where is your Heaven, Peni? Is it awaiting you at the end of your long jouney in this life or do you remember that Jesus taught that the Kingdom of Heaven is within you. Is it truly my soul that you've found needs to be cleaned in order to "get me into Heaven", or was that perhaps an attempt to make additional points for yourself in order to prepare you for that eventual anticipation? And if so, why do you not yet have the Kingdom of Heaven within you?

EVERYTHING else is optional. People fuss enormously about the optional bits, and some are less optional than others (the Christian who doesn't believe in Jesus's divine nature is vanishingly rare), but "Jesus died for our sins and saved our souls" is really, truly all you need to claim the religion. It won't get you into a lot of denominations, and many, many professors of the faith will find excuses to exclude Christians of whom they don't approve, but for definition purposes, it's all you need.

If Jesus and God were looking for a definition, Peni, I might take your advice. I believe that God is looking for a little more than religious intimation from us. A little more than empty declarations. A time is coming when all who've taken his name in vain for the sake of bolstering a socio-religious intimation, will realize the grave error which the churches have perpetuated and suffer the wrath of the judgement which is coming.

Revelations was usually ignored in the (liberal United Methodist) churches I was raised in; when it was not, it was read symbolically. The only book that gets this treatment more often is probably the Song of Solomon (which is seriously hot stuff if you read it in the proper frame of mind).

The Song of Songs is truly a masterpiece and courageous work. "Seriously hot stuff", however, is the type of description I leave for those entertained by its perceived allusions. When read in the truly proper frame of mind, it is a warm an passionate story of the sizzling love affair that the Maker of our world desires with his bride, the people whom he gives his name to.

The song of solomon is amazing, it's my favourite part of the bible. I do find it hard to see how its place there is justified, but I'm glad that it's there and has survived.

Excuse me for introducing thread drift in a different direction, but is it my visual-art-impaired eyes, or does the comic previewed at the following link, After School Nightmare, have a kind of Chick-meets-manga vibe going?

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article ... l&nid=2789

I don't know how long this link will be good; get it while it's hot!

Puts me off my extra-mural feminism class, for sure.

I can't make anything of it either. I wouldn't expect to make much of a ten-page preview, in any case. But that hooded, half-shod girl just makes me want to scream: "No! Not Black Leaf!" There's something about the style and imagery. Maybe the artist has been influenced by the Chick artist, or maybe they've tapped into the same deep level of fear that sin, death, and evil lurk inexorably behind every innocent-appearing aspect of modern life, waiting to pounce.

or maybe they've tapped into the same deep level of fear that sin, death, and evil lurk inexorably behind every innocent-appearing aspect of modern life, waiting to pounce.

Which is a sad way to be...... Spoils the whole joy of life.

H_James said:
The song of solomon is amazing, it's my favourite part of the bible. I do find it hard to see how its place there is justified, but I'm glad that it's there and has survived.

The Song of Songs appears to be justified in a collection of works which also tell, explicitly, of its greatest heroes falling to sexual temptations. Judah and Tamar, for example... Samson and Delilah.... Or King David and Batsheva.

The strength of the scriptures and the reason that sectors from every people in the world have adopted them, is that they are honest in telling the truth about the human condition. The Song of Songs is not only the story of Solomon's sizzling romance with the Queen of Sheba, rather an allegory of how deeply mankind needs to fall in love with our maker. When seen as such, and through other allusions and stories there, it allows the reader to rise above the lowest level of sexual allusions, and bathe in the true spirit of love it seeks to propogate.

PeniG said:
Excuse me for introducing thread drift in a different direction, but is it my visual-art-impaired eyes, or does the comic previewed at the following link, After School Nightmare, have a kind of Chick-meets-manga vibe going?

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article ... l&nid=2789

I don't know how long this link will be good; get it while it's hot!

It is vague but it has a definitive air about it. I like the way mystery is developed but might not like it as much once the thrust of story is revealed. It's very well crafted.

This one is a little older, but I'm curious as to what you might think of it, Peni.

Life Story.

The accompanying text is not a part of the story itself.

Wow, that's one scary comic. The end is very depressing as well. I loath a life of perfectness with no dangers, no downs, no worries and worst of all they seem to live forever! I can only conclude that this is the depicturing of hell.

You can't feel happy without feeling unhappiness beforehand, you can't feel good without having felt bad. A place that is only nice, where everyone is friendly without fail, where everyone loves each other, where there are no challenges only smiles...makes me shudder.

Dingo667 said:
Wow, that's one scary comic. The end is very depressing as well. I loath a life of perfectness with no dangers, no downs, no worries and worst of all they seem to live forever! I can only conclude that this is the depicturing of hell.

You can't feel happy without feeling unhappiness beforehand, you can't feel good without having felt bad. A place that is only nice, where everyone is friendly without fail, where everyone loves each other, where there are no challenges only smiles...makes me shudder.

It's all a little relative, wouldn't you say, Dingo? Imagine all the strife awaiting us in trying to reach such a condition as in the story's end. That is also what our lives are about, as you say, the struggle and the sorrow followed by an achienvement and some joy. The story really supports what you say, especially when considering the first 7 pages and the challenges it tells of.

But about living forever, well, that's a tricky thing to say and it wasn't said as such in the story. Living forever has nothing to do with forever. It has to do with living the moment as if there is no death in our awareness. It's a point of view. If someone was to convince you that you've been given eternal life, how would you know if you truly have it? You'd need to live forever first to truly know. So it's not about forever, it's about how we live each present moment.

I'd also say there are much more scarier things going on in the world than the reading a comic book story... don't you think?

Living forever might not mean literally living forever this particular life, I can see that. I do have the feeling that if I have a soul [not 100% sure yet] that it might be very old [even as a child I used to say that if there is reincarnation that this would be my last life as a human and I am only in this life now to gain more knoledge and enjoy myself, no reproduction, no thriving for material things etc]. The unsureness comes from my scientific background. Either way I am not too bothered, as you said it is the here and now that counts.

However when you said that there are scarier things in the world than a comic strip you got me confused. Of course there are but this thread is about x-tian comics and I was particularily giving my opinion to the one in the link.
If I can't give my opinion towards trivial things because there is always something scarier, better, more important I would have to become silent for the rest of my life and only comment if the end of the world was upon us. [Mind you, there is probably something even worse than that, so I wouldn't comment on that either] ;)

or maybe they've tapped into the same deep level of fear that sin, death, and evil lurk inexorably behind every innocent-appearing aspect of modern life, waiting to pounce.

I thought the girl was a bit ringu-esque, didn't pick up on the 'oh dear i've gone to hell' angle, but i see what you mean. Makes me wonder if there's some sort of buddist or shinto version of chick!

I'd forgotten all about Jack Chick until yesterday, when this came through my door (and through the letter slot of everyone else in my street, at least..)

chick resized.jpg

who sent it? It's the usual gribble, banging on about drugs, Ouija boards, etc with risible dialogue and simple-minded cause and effect morals. My main concern is that it'll be followed up by a visit from someone who believes this and wants me to listen while they tell me about it.. watch this space.

I'd forgotten all about Jack Chick until yesterday, when this came through my door (and through the letter slot of everyone else in my street, at least..)

View attachment 1019

who sent it? It's the usual gribble, banging on about drugs, Ouija boards, etc with risible dialogue and simple-minded cause and effect morals. My main concern is that it'll be followed up by a visit from someone who believes this and wants me to listen while they tell me about it.. watch this space.
I once got this through my letterbox, but sadly no follow up visit.

img064.jpeg

View attachment 1019

What an oldie but goodie/baddie--I thought it must be out of print. Has it been revised or does an establishing panel show satan enjoying the opening of the 60's sitcom of the same name?
This may have been the first Chick tract I ever found. I can't remember whether I found it in a laundromat or a public restroom; it was one or the other, since I have never spotted these leavings anywhere else. I have never been handed one of these by an actual Krazy Kristian, so you may not have to dread (or anticipate) a visitor. Chick tracts are things that are literally Left Behind in my experience, and I live in the bible belt.

Back