• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
Apparently, just on the south side of Southwark bridge there is a memorial to all the sex workers who died during the jack the ripper era, and someone has hung up an Orient scarf there.

What a bizarre thing to do, although we can be a bit eccentric over in Brisbane road..

IMG-20240320-WA0001.jpg

Apparently, just on the south side of Southwark bridge there is a memorial to all the sex workers who died during the jack the ripper era, and someone has hung up an Orient scarf there.

What a bizarre thing to do, although we can be a bit eccentric over in Brisbane road..

View attachment 74884
Its the Cross Bones Graveyard which was originally an unconsecrated graveyard where prostitutes were buried. Its a memorial to them not just the Jack the Ripper victims. Presumably the scarf is in memory of a more recent death.

London’s legendary Jack the Ripper pub has gone up for sale

The Spitalfields pub is associated with several of the Victorian serial killer’s victims

https://www.timeout.com/london/news...ck-the-ripper-pub-has-gone-up-for-sale-011224

I'm not a Rippernerd, and this may be something I've imagined or misunderstood - but I'm pretty sure I've read at least one reliable author on the subject who states that virtually the only tangible connection The Ten Bells ever had to the Ripper killings was its location; the idea that the pub was 'associated with several' victims being conjecture, rather than documented fact (or very much based on the looser end of the varying levels of connection the word 'associated' might imply).

One of the most memorable pints I've ever drunk in London - and I've had a few - was in this boozer.

Quoting myself from the A Good Read: Book Suggestions & Recommendations thread (#697):

Talking of Hawksmoor.

One dark and wintry night back in February I was drinking in The Ten Bells on Commercial Street in London, which is hard by Christ Church Spitalfields. The road directly in front of the church was being dug up and the road-gangs lights were swaying about in the wind and casting all sorts of mad and restless shadows over the area.

Now, I thought, there's the start of a movie right there.

It really was a pretty incredible scene - you couldn't have created anything more dramatic if you tried. It was early in the week, I seem to recall, and the pub was virtually empty - might be the last time I went, because it's always looked a bit rammed when I've been in the area more recently.

Also, I seem to recall that the gents toilets smell like they are actually underneath a leaking sewer.

I think you have it right.
Fact: The Ten Bells is a pub that was in the general area of the Ripper killings.
Fact (?): Many prostitutes of the time would either pick up clients at or outside pubs OR
Fact (?): Many prostitutes used to spend some or all earnings in a pub.
Therefore: There is a 'link' between the prostitute victims and the pub.
:dunno:
Alternatively ...
People are associating the pub with the Ripper because they've been told of the association? A self-fulfilling condition.
E.G.
A: "There's a rumour going around about Z!" (Statement)
B: "Oh, yeah? What is it?"
A: "Dunno. Just that there's a rumour."
Later ...
PRESS: "Person Z, apparently innocent, has had rumours spoken about them ..."

Last edited:
You've probably read this:

https://wiki.casebook.org/ten_bells.html

I knew the name "Ringers" was sometimes cited in 1888 and I thought this was "The Ten Bells" (bells = ringing) so I was a bit surprised to learn it was actually the now demolished Britannia, which got the nickname due to it's landlords surname.

Back