• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
At another London meet we discovered the 'Spankorama' in Soho (but made our excuses and left).

...a dog rough Irish gay pub that almost got another member of this forum killed at another meet in Brighton.

...said person turned out to be not quite as good company as we'd hoped for and to cut a long story short we barely escaped with our lives.

Remember when I said in another thread that I'd be well up for a possible, potential, speculative, hypothetical future meetup at the Ten Bells on an as-yet-to-be-fixed date?

I've just remembered that I've got something on that night.

maximus otter

Look, the right combination of skills and a lot of luck has meant there haven't been any fatalities at a meet so far.

Imagine it instead as something like a combination of Withnail and I, Sapphire and Steel and a low rent circus where there are only clowns.

<Shivers>

There are some things best left unexplained.......

<Stares off into distance>

You really need to provide some detail here or you might not get lout alive. A few short sentences about the Spankorama might be enough to stall them.

The party was between pubs and found themselves in the darker back alleys of Soho. Our eye was collectively caught by a blood red neon sign that hearalded said Spankorama and naturally being inquisitive types we approached thinking what an excellent Fortean travelogue column it would make if we could get in an get out, delivered in the pithy style of a Clive James or Alan Whicker. It's fair to point out we were all sufficiently worse for wear that we'd have gotten lost in a phone box so the flat out daftness of this decision didn't occur to anyone in the group. Also I can't recall Clive James or Alan Whicker ever doing a piece on S&M clip joints, but there you go.

We approached the curtained door way and if I recall correctly, being the bold type I drew back the curtain. Sitting behind a counter was a wizened old crone who mumbled about it being twenty quid for non members. I vaguely recall asking if they had a group rate before Mrs. Heckler sensibly dragged me away and the drunken stumble of the party continued to the next hostelry and our close brush with the London underbelly came to a close.

On the lovecraft thread, Gladstone was mentioned. That reminded me of this amusing, if somewhat gruesome poem written around the time of the Ripper murders. The author is anonymous.

Eight little whores, with no hope of Heaven,

Gladstone may save one, then there'll be seven.

Seven little whores begging for a shilling,

One stays in Heneage Court, then there's a killing.

Six little whores, glad to be alive,

One sidles up to Jack, then there are five.

Four and whore rhyme aright, so do three and me.

I'll set the town alight, ere there are two.

Two little whores, shivering with fright,

Seek a cosy doorway, in the middle of the night.

Jack's knife flashes, then there's but one.

And the last one's ripest for Jack's idea of fun.

Didn't want to go OT there, so it goes here. Many of you have seen it already.

Does anyone remember this television documentary called The Secret Identity of Jack the Ripper?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0347971/?ref_=nm_flmg_slf_72

It was hosted by actor Peter Ustinov and the panel included John Douglas, the FBI profiler, William Eckert, the pathologist, Donald Rumbelow, a policeman for the City of London, and others.

Of the five suspects the panel looked at, the most likely one was one Adam Kosminski, a mental patient. But the evidence against him was slim. A halfway competent lawyer would have no problem getting him freed.

Featuring Paul Begg and Martin Fido, my two favourite voices in Ripperology.

I have that on DVD somewhere.
99c bargain basket in a supermarket, AFAIR.

This new analysis indicates at least two of the alleged Ripper letters were written by the same person, and a third seems to be closely related ...

Jack the Ripper letters written by the same person, forensic linguist confirms
Two of the most famous letters signed by Jack the Ripper were penned by the same person, according to the analysis of a forensic linguist at the University of Manchester in Britain. ...

Forensic linguist Andrea Nini wanted to see if there were links or patterns among the early letters. He focused on the earliest and most famous pieces of mail: the "Dear Boss" letter and the "Saucy Jacky" postcard. ...

SOURCE: https://www.upi.com/Science_News/20...?utm_source=sec&utm_campaign=sl&utm_medium=12

ABSTRACT of Research Paper Cited: https://academic.oup.com/dsh/advanc...93/llc/fqx065/4824843?redirectedFrom=fulltext

I think the 'From Hell' letter is the only one that has any chance of being real. That is, real in the sense of actually having been written by the murderer.

Jack the Ripper suspect gets a retrial for killing his wife

Last man to be hanged in Dundee 'acquitted' at mock retrial
  • 1 hour ago
_99888711_img_3861.jpg

Image captionJudge Lord Matthews and Prof Dame Sue Black oversaw the trial at Dundee Sheriff Court
A mock retrial of the last man to be hanged in Dundee has "acquitted" him of murdering his wife.

William Bury was originally found guilty of killing his wife Ellen and was executed in 1889, after initially claiming to be Jack the Ripper.

Law students from Aberdeen University and Dundee University took part in the mock trial before judge Lord Matthews.

An invited jury found in favour of the Aberdeen team, who were defending the case.

The mock trial was heard in the Dundee Sheriff Court courtroom where the original trial was held.

Bury's neck vertebrae, which was removed following his dissection, was displayed in the court room during the mock trial.

Bury's original conviction rested largely on medical evidence.

The evidence was re-tested in the mock trial using today's forensic science standards.

etc

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-tayside-central-42944124

I’m a bit (very) late to this thread. But wonder what are people favourite idea why he got away with it and why the killings stopped?

Did he die? Wouldn’t it be great if his next intended victim did for him. If I was a prostitute of the time and had to work to survive I’d make sure I was armed with something.

Did he end up in one institution or another. Prison or the loony bin. The asylum idea scares me as my town had three asylums of London’s mentally ill.

Did he have a quota and finished? (Yeah right!)

Was he someone high up and well protected?

I’ve been trying for a while about a story where Jack is a demonic possession and therefor each murder is a different person he’s taken over. Finishing maybe with an exorcism.

My trouble is every time I hear a theory I think ‘yes that could be it’ but then another theory rides into town. I did rather like the from hell explanation.

SPOILERS!

He was killed by Evie Frye in the basement of a lunatic asylum, after Jack took her twin brother Jacob as a prisoner. The events were covered-up by Inspector Frederick Abberline to protect the Assassin Order from the Templars.

This may be the plot of a video game, but it's as likely as some of the other theories.

Back