• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
@Spookdaddy All reasonable observations.

I have to confess to having a foot in both camps.

I love Holmes and have read a large amount on JtR too.
I always thought it was a shame that the two were not destined to cross paths. All the fiction I had read on the possibility was terrible, to say the least.

A page detailing the vast amount of work where the worlds of Holmes and The Ripper coincide

https://www.sherlockian.net/investigating/holmesripper/

Talking of the Ripper and literature.

The first full blown novel to be based on the Ripper murders is considered to be (or was, the last time I looked), The Lodger by Mary Belloc Lowndes. It's not a dramatisation of the actual events, but it was heavily influenced by them.

The novel popped into my head when thinking about the last few posts on this thread - but it's got a good twenty years or so on the Holmes stories and, apart from the general atmosphere of foggy London streets and horrible murder, I didn't make any actual connection to Holmes, because there isn't one.

Or, at least...

Well, the thing is, the mysterious lodger of the title is called...Mr Sleuth.

For those who may be interested in this particular tangent, a passable, if somewhat 'cosy', adaptation of Mary Belloc Lowndes story can be found on the Internet Archive on this page.

The Hitchcock connection is that his first thriller, The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog, was based on the story.

For those who may be interested in this particular tangent, a passable, if somewhat 'cosy', adaptation of Mary Belloc Lowndes story can be found on the Internet Archive on this page.

The Hitchcock connection is that his first thriller, The Lodger: A Story of the London Fog, was based on the story.
A great early Hitchcock, and Ivor Novello was gorgeous.

I'm sometimes very unobservant. Today (9th November) is my late wife's birthday. Only today have I noticed that it was the same day in the year that Mary Jane Kelly was killed.

Given I had a maybe unhealthy interest in the JTR murders from quite young - years before I met my wife - one wonders if some sort of cosmic force was operating.

I'm sometimes very unobservant. Today (9th November) is my late wife's birthday. Only today have I noticed that it was the same day in the year that Mary Jane Kelly was killed.

Given I had a maybe unhealthy interest in the JTR murders from quite young - years before I met my wife - one wonders if some sort of cosmic force was operating.
...or subliminal action on your part?

Sorry for your loss.

Carving of Russian 'lunatic' who was Victorian chief inspector's top suspect is found engraved on a wooden cane

Jack the Ripper was never caught and little is known about what he actually looked like.

Now, the answer to that century-old mystery may finally have been answered after a walking stick believed to have his face engraved on it was rediscovered.

The cane was unearthed by researchers at the College of Policing and is believed to contain the only known composite of the killer, who prowled the lanes of Whitechapel.

66035041-11584087-The_suspected_face_of_Jack_the_Ripper_has_been_revealed_after_po-m-1_1672389958961.jpg

The walking stick, previously thought to have been lost, is believed to have been a gift to Chief Inspector Frederick Abberline, who had been tasked of hunting down the illusive murderer.

It was presented to Mr Abberline as a macabre leaving present by his team of seven officers after he was pulled from the investigation for failing to crack the case.

Police researchers rediscovered the cane buried in archives at Ryton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire.

Labelling it as bearing the 'only reported facial composite', they believe the face etched into the handle was one of Mr Abberline's prime suspects: Dr Alexander Pedachenko.

Although this claim is disputed by other Ripper researchers, who say the walking stick had been one of many sold by street merchants seeking to cash in on the mysterious murder's notoriety.

[The] cane is now on display at Bramshill Police Staff College.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...5d169-dd16-4d2b-83e1-7f002bf62197&ai=11584087

Edited to add: I am not responsible for the spelling or grammar...

maximus otter

Last edited:
"Now, the answer to that century-old mystery may finally have been answered after a walking stick believed to have his face engraved on it was rediscovered."
The carving might be of a suspect but how can it be a carving of the Ripper? There's plenty of photos of other suspects so are they 'answers' to the mystery of who the Ripper was?
Nice stick, though.

Yes.

I think night soil men also worked through the night.

I believe the docks would open for workers early in the morning, around 7AM.
And the markets Vic.

I worked on a grocery barrow on Bethnal Green road in the early 1980’s – a Saturday job, a classmate’s dad was the owner (it had been in the family for donkeys’ years and was a real cash cow. One of my jobs was to count the takings on Saturday evenings, and just on that day alone it would take over 4 grand, add on the Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday & Friday, takings and quite serious dosh)

Anyway, the owner George, would get himself down to Spitalfields market at 2am each day, just to ensure he was buying the freshest possible produce, and I’m assuming that other traders were doing the same thing at that time, so that part of the east end, and particularly Spitalfields would have quite busy even in the early hours.

And the markets Vic.

Anyway, the owner George, would get himself down to Spitalfields market at 2am each day, just to ensure he was buying the freshest possible produce, and I’m assuming that other traders were doing the same thing at that time, so that part of the east end, and particularly Spitalfields would have quite busy even in the early hours.

`Yes, I have a reminder in the back of my head to avoid driving through Smithfield from 12.30am to 7am.

There are so many lorries and vans about from the meat market that you inevitably get stuck there for ages.

`Yes, I have a reminder in the back of my head to avoid driving through Smithfield from 12.30am to 7am.

There are so many lorries and vans about from the meat market that you inevitably get stuck there for ages.
Yup Vic, Smithfield had the same working practice as Spitalfields – they worked through the night. Walk through Smithfield at lunchtime and the place is deserted.

My Uncle Brian was a Bummaree at Smithfield (Senior Porter). The job was worth a Kings Ransome, as it was the Bummaree’s who decided what lorries and vans full of meat got unloaded to the various butchers’ shops within the market itself. If the backhanders were a little light the Bummaree could tell the porters not to unload a butcher’s order, and it was perfectly legal it being a centuries old tradition. I think it was outlawed at sometime in the mid 1990’s.

I used to love visiting uncle Brian. I can’t remember where exactly but he lived in a huge house in Hertfordshire, complete with a swimming pool and a tennis court – and all he ever did for a living was to carry meat. Seems strange now doesn’t it, but that was the way it worked back then.

Long time ago - before the 'relaxed' opening hours concerning drinkers - some chums and I plotted out a way to be able to buy booze over 24 hours.
It involved some 'market pubs' that were licensed to sell food and booze from early morning to noon, situated in Smithfiled and other markets, to cater to the shift workers.

My Uncle Brian was a Bummaree at Smithfield (Senior Porter).

And you learn something new every day!

I had not heard that word before, thanks Dick.

I know of a couple of other intrinsic London professions where cash allowed people to ear more than they declared, but unlike Smithfield they were not legal. Am sure you know what I am on about.

These days the back handers continue, but built into contract fees.

Long time ago - before the 'relaxed' opening hours concerning drinkers - some chums and I plotted out a way to be able to buy booze over 24 hours.
It involved some 'market pubs' that were licensed to sell food and booze from early morning to noon, situated in Smithfiled and other markets, to cater to the shift workers.
I started off my working life at the tender age of 16 within a five-minute walk of Smithfield market, so knew all the pubs in the area very well – well I should have done as I delivered to all of them as I started off working as a postman lol

I knew I was in trouble as I got into the habit of walking in the Smithfield tavern every day at 5am for a couple of pints before I started work at 6am. It was a happy mix of market workers and postman (and the odd city worker) all getting pissed before the day had even started.

After a couple of years of doing this, I was due a new (postal) uniform. My waist measurement had gone from 27-inch waist to 36-inch waist in just 2 years lol.

Thankfully, I slimmed back down after I left working for the royal mail :beer:

After a couple of years of doing this, I was due a new (postal) uniform. My waist measurement had gone from 27-inch waist to 36-inch waist in just 2 years lol.

Thankfully, I slimmed back down after I left working for the royal mail :beer:

My mate was the opposite, he got a job as a postman a few years back.
He was about 5 foot 8 and and 14 stone, having spent years in the City living it up on expense accounts.

He got made redundant and became a postman, and is much happier.
He lost about two stone (28lbs for the Americans) in his first year, simply by walking and delivering.

I like most beers, but that just shows you how many calories they have.

But of a grim tangent @Dick Turpin , but did drinking that early ever give you the squits?
I know people who say never to drink beer for breakfast on an empty stomach for that reason.

My mate was the opposite, he got a job as a postman a few years back.
He was about 5 foot 8 and and 14 stone, having spent years in the City living it up on expense accounts.

He got made redundant and became a postman, and is much happier.
He lost about two stone (28lbs for the Americans) in his first year, simply by walking and delivering.

I like most beers, but that just shows you how many calories they have.

But of a grim tangent @Dick Turpin , but did drinking that early ever give you the squits?
I know people who say never to drink beer for breakfast on an empty stomach for that reason.
Ha Ha, Evening Vic old chap.

Working as a postman was probably my most enjoyable job - very happy days. I've worked in the city since the mid 1990's, and have lived it up over the years on expense accounts, but these days the job also comes with corporate gym membership, which cancels out the boozy lunches.

Also having now come into my 52nd year, (and moving away from London) I don't really feel the need to live it up so much these days - and that keeps Mrs DT happy.

To answer your question about the tom tits - no that never happened to me thankfully lol.

One thing that has always struck me from the entirety of the case, and is only more reinforced by these recent exchanges, is a complete lack of eyewitness testimony of a fleeing assailant.

Even at the height of Ripper fever in the East End with vigilante groups and uniformed and undercover police combing the streets, there is only one dubious report of someone possibly washing blood from something in a public water font.

It has always suggested to me that the assailant was not just comfortable in the environs but belonged. Even in a potentially stained and soiled state, this attacker was able to steal himself and fade back into the streets to be invisible.

I think this strongly suggests a cool head, a mature character and someone with at least in depth local, if not native, knowledge.

There was that nickname Leather Apron. If he wore such an apron, people might simply assume he was a butcher even if he had a lot of blood on him. Hiding in plain sight really.

Indeed, while
There was that nickname Leather Apron. If he wore such an apron, people might simply assume he was a butcher even if he had a lot of blood on him. Hiding in plain sight really.
While Leather Apron - John Pizer, turned out to be innocent of these crimes at least, it does lend some credence to the car man suspect, Charles Cross/Lechemere — someone who would have had cause to be about at the odd times, look like part of the furniture and still have opportunity.

Though it does go against the original working man theory, where many of the crimes occur in or around bank holidays or similar, such as the Lord Mayor's parade, perhaps indicating someone who was tied to a job and only went out when time allowed.

Even in a potentially stained and soiled state, this attacker was able to steal himself and fade back into the streets to be invisible.

A lot of people would have been out on London's streets in a dirty or dishevelled condition: Slaughtermen, stockmen, animal handlers of all types. Victorian standards of hygiene and cleanliness were different from today's.

Also, don't forget that most of the action occurred late at night and/or in the small hours of a foggy London autumn. Spotting bloodstains on typical dark 19th-century clothing under those lighting conditions, while yourself possibly bleary-eyed or under the influence, would have been a challenge.

maximus otter

Has anyone read this?

A theory by Rod Beattie that the Ripper was a Metropolitan Policeman called Bowden Endacott.

View attachment 65916

A quick Google reveals that he was the arresting officer in a controversial case in June 1887. TLDR: He arrested a young woman, alleging that she had been soliciting for the purposes of prostitution in Regent Street. The girl - a Miss Cass - hotly denied the allegation. The case caused quite a sensation.

lnteresting.

maximus otter

A quick Google reveals that he was the arresting officer in a controversial case in June 1887. TLDR: He arrested a young woman, alleging that she had been soliciting for the purposes of prostitution in Regent Street. The girl - a Miss Cass - hotly denied the allegation. The case caused quite a sensation.

lnteresting.

maximus otter

The author thinks that he sought revenge by murdering prostitutes.

I have yet to read it, and guess there is more to the theory than just the motive of revenge: locations, timings, skillset, psychological observations by his peers etc.

And it might be that the suspect, if he was not the Ripper, could have had access to case notes or been involved in a cover up...either conspiracy based or just a personal bias?

Last edited:
This sounds highly dubious. In much the same way that the mortuary attendant suspect, Robert Mann, was a picked as a fit for a thesis, it sounds as if there is no actual evidence for involvement at all.

I'm sure there's any number of casual characters form the period and the scene that could be fitted up to a thesis.

Unless there is some direct connection made, it's all pointless speculation.

This sounds highly dubious. In much the same way that the mortuary attendant suspect, Robert Mann, was a picked as a fit for a thesis, it sounds as if there is no actual evidence for involvement at all.

I'm sure there's any number of casual characters form the period and the scene that could be fitted up to a thesis.

You are new to Ripperology, I take it?

There isn't a single cast iron case that has been made public by the police.

Of the many suspects, there are about 30 that have plausable motives, means, ability to get to the locations etc.

Some motives quite conspiracy based and even esoteric, others sheer bloodlust or psycopath.

The one constant in all this is that someone will write a book or make a documentary, whereupon reading / watching it in isolation it seems cast iron.

Then you read / see the next one and that also is very convincing.

In part because the author / director is themselves genuinely convinved they are right.

And then another book / documentary is released, also very convincing

And so it continues...

Back